By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - NX To Use ROMs Rather than Optical Discs?

Ka-pi96 said:
So ROMs are cartridges? Yeah, I clicked on the thread just to find out what a ROM is

Anyways this might hamper 3rd party support, but it wouldn't really bother me what format the games are available in (as long as it's a physical format at least).

No Rom is a Vacuous Spider.

Around the Network
ktay95 said:
Ka-pi96 said:
So ROMs are cartridges? Yeah, I clicked on the thread just to find out what a ROM is

Anyways this might hamper 3rd party support, but it wouldn't really bother me what format the games are available in (as long as it's a physical format at least).

No Rom is a Vacuous Spider.

gotta tip the hat to that Bloodborne reference :)

AbbathTheGrim said:
Netyaroze said:

Why would this make them happy ?

Because sarcasm is your friend.

Could make them happy. Make one game that works on 2 devices. That cant be a bad thing.

RolStoppable said:
Optical discs are also ROMs.

Anyway, nothing speaks against using an SD card variant for a home console. Third parties are making games for the 3DS, and 3DS games are significantly cheaper than home console games. Yes, that's because of the significant difference in development costs, but it should be obvious that the manufacturing costs for 3DS cards and blu-ray discs are in the same ballpark. Furthermore, Sony switched to cards with the Vita because optical media simply had no notable advantages anymore.

Sony switched to memory cards because they were smaller to house in a portable unit, not because optical media didn't have any advantages ... 

Optical media is still cheaper per GB and with the right drive it can be faster than solid state storage like in the case of PS4 (27 MB/s read) and 3DS (4.5 MB/s read) ... 

ROM is a type of file Nintendo used, optical discs are a form of media.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
Einsam_Delphin said:
N64 situation all over again let's go!

id take that over wii u situation again

Soundwave said:

It wouldn't be anything like the N64 days where a cartridge cost $30/unit for third parties to manufacture.

Most likely what will happen is most developers will use a very cheap card, like 8GB or 16GB, enough so you can play the first 3-4 hours of a game, but the rest of the game you'll have to download at home, so you'll need an internet connection.

Though this wouldn't really even be rare for disc based games, every damn game today it seems like once you get it home requires some kind of patch/download/etc.

In that sense it could be something like $1-$1.50/card for third parties when you factor in mass production, I mean sure more than a disc, but not enough for a developer to give that much of a crap. If the N64 had $1-$2 cartridges with GBs of data, it would've sold at least doube the amount because it would've had tons of third party support.

I'd personally rather see Nintendo get a supplier to manufacture them in bulk and give them to publishers.

Not a fan of small half game shit, if that happens i am not buying it. For this very reason I did not buy an xbox because Micrososft fucked up with HALO MCC and their stupid 1 disc and downlaod the rest BS.

the patches/downlaods etc should be stored on the cart, hence why I think they need a hybrid. Imagine being abel to take updated games to your friends house that don't have a great internet connection. Now that would be somehting useful for the ocnsumer.

This has to be one of the most ridiculous NX rumours I've heard.

The cheapest 30MB/s SD card tech out there cost at least $3.... that's at least $2.50 more expensive than a bluray disc for less capacity.

The fastest SD card tech 250MB/s costs around $90. just for the card!!!! This just makes absolutely zero sense.

The only way this makes some sense is if Nintendo plans on saving costs while making the hardware and not include a disc drive at all but instead a flash drive that is good for nothing more than to allow u install ur game to an internal drive. And stay in to allow the game run. But even at that then they better be willing to eat the cost of the flash drive.

as long as there is still 3rd party

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

This is only good because of the coolness factor.
It's cool to have cartridge based games these days.
But other then that it's a bad idea.And it's also very limiting for media and movie type of stuff.