By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - NX To Use ROMs Rather than Optical Discs?

Intrinsic said:
This has to be one of the most ridiculous NX rumours I've heard.

The cheapest 30MB/s SD card tech out there cost at least $3.... that's at least $2.50 more expensive than a bluray disc for less capacity.

The fastest SD card tech 250MB/s costs around $90. just for the card!!!! This just makes absolutely zero sense.

The only way this makes some sense is if Nintendo plans on saving costs while making the hardware and not include a disc drive at all but instead a flash drive that is good for nothing more than to allow u install ur game to an internal drive. And stay in to allow the game run. But even at that then they better be willing to eat the cost of the flash drive.

$3 retail maybe ... means $0.50-$1 at a manufacturing level.

Not such a big gap anymore.

Why would you even need 250MB/sec for a game, 30MB/sec is faster than most optical drives as is.

Around the Network

I've heard of this rumor a few times before. Not sure if it would be good, but I'd take that over a all digital platform. Plus it would be funny to go back to cards after they were ditched for CDs. It would kinda be a full circle around.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Nem said:
Well... if they are read fast enough to not require the game to be loaded on the hard-drive, like the PS4 and X1, then its a good thing. The discs and drivers in nowadays consoles can't cope. All goes in the hard drive.

You do realize that hard drive installs allow for REAL patches right? Without them it's just shitty plug and play patches that eventually lead to performance issues.

Cloudman said:
I've heard of this rumor a few times before. Not sure if it would be good, but I'd take that over a all digital platform. Plus it would be funny to go back to cards after they were ditched for CDs. It would kinda be a full circle around.

In the grand scheme of things. Carts do make a certian kinda sense. If the system uses a proprietary cart that and connector and allows for decent transfer speeds to an internal HDD, then besides it being slightly more expensive that Discs it makes for an all round more effective distribution medium. also allows for the console to be smaller and less expensive to make. A cart connector will cost less than $2/console than using a disc drive that costs around $25/console. 

We went from carts to disc cause at the time carts simy cost too much in relation to their data capacities. But as soundwave said, in honesty a 50GB/100GB nand flash cart can probably be had for as little as $2-$3 today. even if it's transfer speed is just 25MB/s. all its needed for is just to install the game to the internal drive. 

Intrinsic said:
Cloudman said:

In the grand scheme of things. Carts do make a certian kinda sense. If the system uses a proprietary cart that and connector and allows for decent transfer speeds to an internal HDD, then besides it being slightly more expensive that Discs it makes for an all round more effective distribution medium. also allows for the console to be smaller and less expensive to make. A cart connector will cost less than $2/console than using a disc drive that costs around $25/console. 

We went from carts to disc cause at the time carts simy cost too much in relation to their data capacities. But as soundwave said, in honesty a 50GB/100GB nand flash cart can probably be had for as little as $2-$3 today. even if it's transfer speed is just 25MB/s. all its needed for is just to install the game to the internal drive. 

Yeah, I am aware that CDs were simply better than carts back then during the PS/N64 days. I just find it funny that we're to where carts are actually a vialble option again.  I never thought that could be an option again.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Around the Network
sabvre42 said:
Nem said:
Well... if they are read fast enough to not require the game to be loaded on the hard-drive, like the PS4 and X1, then its a good thing. The discs and drivers in nowadays consoles can't cope. All goes in the hard drive.

You do realize that hard drive installs allow for REAL patches right? Without them it's just shitty plug and play patches that eventually lead to performance issues.

I didnt say it couldnt have an Hard-drive aswell.

But i dislike having to manage the number of games i can play because they don't all fit in the HDD. And no i don't want to have to buy a new one.