By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why is PSN so slow...?

My PSN speeds are at...

1 Mbp/s or less 19 17.12%

1-10 Mb/s 21 18.92%

10-20 Mbp/s 18 16.22%

30 Mbps....or above. 29 26.13%

Full speed my ISP provides...comment. 24 21.62%

Total:111
John2290 said:
Its downloading at a 300kp/s now....wow that is bullshit. Still gets to 30Mb/s when I pause and resart, I can count a long with with 3mb downloading every second but then Sony seem to have some kind of limiter that cuts it to 10Mb/s after one minute 30 seconds and then limits it even more randomly. I'm certain that my ISP isn't tanking it and is running at 75Mb/s up to over 90Mb/s. I'm not expecting that speed but I'd at least like it to stay stable at 10Mb if thats what PSN can handle but the dips below that are not acceptable. I'm off to complain to Sony to see if there is anything I can do, I am paying an asinine amount of money for net and intend to download Uncharted 4, that will take me between 30 - 90 hours depending on the dippage. Completely unacceptable, Steam runs at full speed...the fuck sony.

Just to clarify a couple of things here, you mentioned being Irish before, are you actually in Ireland using an Irish ISP? your profile says you're in the UK but I'm just wondering if you think that Eir are living up to the promise of "up to 75Mb/ps" which firstly they don't at all unless you are living on the actual exchange, also you know that a Mb is 1/8 of a MB right? so even if you were on a 75Mb/ps line constantly that would translate into 9.3MB per second as a download, lord knows why you are pausing and resuming the download from the PS4 though, restart your router if you think it's a connection issue (it most likely is and is generally a good place to start before sitting there pausing and resuming and watching the expected download time lol)

If using firefox btw, could I suggest using the quick reply option when it comes to posting here, just that it has a spellcheck functionality where the actual reply and quote windows do not, just a suggestion!

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network

Yeah, Idk why this is the case. I have 60 download speed but when I look at the downloads on PSN it only goes up by 2MB/s

(Yes I know 60mbps doesn't eual 60MB/s, but the download speed should still be way quicker than 2-3)

what is this conspiracy?

I've yet to experience any slow since launch day.

Edit: Always use wired connection. Configure your modem. My PC/PS4 gets priority.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
Wright said:

I remember having our shareplay Bloodborne game having the biggest lag I've experienced in my life.

Those are FROM's servers, aren't they?  I wonder where they're located.

John2290 said:

I dont know about Uabit (I'm sure they do and can clearly see they improved the network over PS3, man that was a mess sometimes, constent crashing and often went to 360 for online games) but I know for a fact that everything is okay, my ISP is not trottling it, ethernet cable doesn't make any difference, so its not wifi, I'm going to check again after mindnight, I can see that it was just after school closed that it dipped from just 10-15MB/s to 3-5Mb/s and then again two hours later when more teens (and possibly adults of work) would be home and it dipped to between 1-3Mb/s and slowly has started rising again since then. There are a lot of posts online about this dippage, its Sonys servers. I'll post back with the speed after midnight if anyone is interested.

Lots of ISPs have dips during peak hours.  Mine does, as does pretty much anything with shared bandwidth.  It could be the server network Sony (or the publisher) is using, it could be your own ISP throttling large downloads, it could be any of the networks and ISPs between your console and the servers in question, or it could be any combination of those things.  That was the point I was trying to make with the post I quoted.

As far as Netflix goes, they pay the biggest ISPs for extra bandwidth consideration.

There are so many variables.  I remember reading a post by a guy who switched ISPs and his PS4 speeds surged.

It's usually not slow for me, maybe it depends on your area or something :/

Around the Network
John2290 said:
pokoko said:

Those are FROM's servers, aren't they?  I wonder where they're located.

Lots of ISPs have dips during peak hours.  Mine does, as does pretty much anything with shared bandwidth.  It could be the server network Sony (or the publisher) is using, it could be your own ISP throttling large downloads, it could be any of the networks and ISPs between your console and the servers in question, or it could be any combination of those things.  That was the point I was trying to make with the post I quoted.

As far as Netflix goes, they pay the biggest ISPs for extra bandwidth consideration.

There are so many variables.  I remember reading a post by a guy who switched ISPs and his PS4 speeds surged.

On my laptop speeds vary from 60-90 MB/s but are pretty stable at 80ish for the most part. On the ps4 it is varying between 1MB/s - 30Mb/s but for the most part syas below 10Mb/s by the calculations of the ps4 and averages at 15Mb/s by my calculation from what I've downloaded and how long those downloads have taken. This is not just inconsistant its about 10% of what I'm getting on pc and laptop. Also, I never have anything running at the same time and I'm using the internet right now on 3g just to use up my prepaid data which will expire soon.

I know you know the difference between byte and bit, so why are you using a combination of B and b instead of one or the other.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Wright said:
outlawauron said:

For PS4, everything goes very quickly. Like, I download games at 7-8 MB/s, so no complaining there.

I remember having our shareplay Bloodborne game having the biggest lag I've experienced in my life.

Surely you don't believe it was my fault.

Blame across the world ping and your island internet.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

John2290 said:

On my laptop speeds vary from 60-90 MB/s but are pretty stable at 80ish for the most part. On the ps4 it is varying between 1MB/s - 30Mb/s but for the most part syas below 10Mb/s by the calculations of the ps4 and averages at 15Mb/s by my calculation from what I've downloaded and how long those downloads have taken. This is not just inconsistant its about 10% of what I'm getting on pc and laptop. Also, I never have anything running at the same time and I'm using the internet right now on 3g just to use up my prepaid data which will expire soon.

Just as a test, does remote play work without problems on your network at 720p60? At least you can rule out any dips to 1 mbps caused by your router if that runs stable, it uses between 8 and 10 mbps. I had a problem with my router and ps3, new router solved it. It was so bad that when the ps3 was trying to download something all my other devices could hardly browse the internet while the ps3 only got 2 mbps. Oddly watching Netflix on it worked fine without any conflicts.

Maybe it depends on the game too? I have no idea if Sony hosts all downloads themselves or if certain games can come directly from publishers? I've had certain Steam games download at 128 kb/s while others reach 5 MB/s, depends on where it ultimately comes from.

You think you solve all your problems by getting fast internet, only to be introduced to a world of variable bit rates beyond you local hub :/ Just for fun, did a speed test to Carlow, Ireland from Canada, despite a horrible ping (118 ms) I still get 90% of my download and upload speed.
Antanarivo, Madagascar 318ms ping, 50% download, 30% upload speed.
Malang, Indonesia 314ms ping, 5% download speed, 12% upload speed.

Irrelevant, fun new game though, find the worst connection! :)

John2290 said:
outlawauron said:

Not sure why people have so much trouble with PSN speeds. I found the PS3 download speeds to be inconsistent, some new content download super quickly (maximum speeds I'd expect over wireless), but a really old patch for an obscure game can take forever.

For PS4, everything goes very quickly. Like, I download games at 7-8 MB/s, so no complaining there.

..You mean 79-80MB or 7-8 megabyte a second right? Funnily enough, I seem to have no problem with patches (80% of full speed, id reckon) and I just safe booted the ps4 to download the last update, full speed easily. Maybe the companies who put the games on the store have to pay sony for premium speeds. Hmm. By anychance did you change your net settings?

I mean megabytes. Not megabits (Mb/s).

and no, I've never configured any NAT settings or bothered with port forwarding.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

This should of probably been obvious but I found out my download speed was slowed because I was playing online while downloading at the same time xD, closing my game bumped my download speed up to about 5MB instead of the 2 I was doing. That was just my personal fix though.