By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why March 2017 isn't the best time to launch NX

Do you agree?

No 60 54.55%

Yes 50 45.45%

Total:110

Nintendo will have it hard any quarter they release, especially now that they are releasing mid gen. Every time of the year the competition will have big games

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:
pastro243 said:
Nintendo will have it hard any quarter they release, especially now that they are releasing mid gen. Every time of the year the competition will have big games

And it's worse when you realize most of those "big games" aren't even that good.

That's not a relevant matter when speaking sales though. They sell, and most of the time get good enough critic response

Cerebralbore101 said:
When the NX launches it will just launch with Zelda.

Hmmm. What other system launched in Q1 and with just a Zelda game, that you could play on another system? How did that launch work out for the 3DS?

You do realize that NX is going to launch with more than just Zelda, right?

As for 3DS, it launched with Nintendogs as the major 1st party game, had nothing for the next 3 months which was a remaster of a 13 year old game, then had nothing for another 3 months which was a remaster of a 14 year old game.

3DS didnt have a slow start because it launched in March, it had a slow start because of its lack of key software. We have no idea what games NX will launch with and what it will have post-launch.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

CGI-Quality said:
onionberry said:
Zelda is better than those games...tho.

None of them are out. I'm not sure how that claim can be made. 

OT: Someone mentioned September. I agree that such a period would better for this sort of launch!

Well they have said March 2017, but this is Nintendo, so September 2017 is still not out of the question...

I actually like the March launch as long as they save some big guns for the holidays. Launch windows will always be bare, so it hardly matters that they are launching alongside big games. Otherwise a holiday launch would be the worst idea, and clearly it is preferred. If NX can hype people up for the holidays then they should be fine.

Basic plan in my mind:
March: NX launch with Zelda
Summer/ September: Decently big game
Holidays: Big 3D Mario game to show off the systems potential

Around the Network
Farsala said:
I actually like the March launch as long as they save some big guns for the holidays. Launch windows will always be bare, so it hardly matters that they are launching alongside big games. Otherwise a holiday launch would be the worst idea, and clearly it is preferred. If NX can hype people up for the holidays then they should be fine.

Basic plan in my mind:

If releasing in March means there won't be a post-launch drought than I'm all for it.

If rumors are anything to go by, NX will have 4 Wii U remasters in its first year which are theorized to be Zelda (confirmed), Smash Bros, Splatoon & Mario Maker.

Miyamoto also said Pikmin 4 was close to completion a few months back so a 2017 release is likely.

Retro Studios has been working on their new game since late 2013 so a 2017 release is very likely and rumored to be a new IP.

EAD Tokyo released 3D World in late 2013 followed by Captain Toad in late 2014 so a new 3D Mario in 2017 is possible.

So a 2017 lineup for 1st party NX games could look something like

March-The Legend of Zelda NX+casual title (think Wii Sports/Nintendo Land)

May-Splatoon NX

June-Pikmin 4

August-Retro Studio's Project

September-Super Mario Maker NX

November-Super Smash Bros. NX

December-3D Mario

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

CGI-Quality said:
Jranation said:

Have any console lauched in September? 

Don't know, but it couldn't hurt.

@ onion: Cool, but what does that change? :P

Dw! Ka pi listed it. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

zorg1000 said:
Farsala said:

Basic plan in my mind:

If releasing in March means there won't be a post-launch drought than I'm all for it.

If rumors are anything to go by, NX will have 4 Wii U remasters in its first year which are theorized to be Zelda (confirmed), Smash Bros, Splatoon & Mario Maker.

Miyamoto also said Pikmin 4 was close to completion a few months back so a 2017 release is likely.

Retro Studios has been working on their new game since late 2013 so a 2017 release is very likely and rumored to be a new IP.

EAD Tokyo released 3D World in late 2013 followed by Captain Toad in late 2014 so a new 3D Mario in 2017 is possible.

May-Splatoon NX

June-Pikmin 4

December-3D Mario

Hopefully the sacrifice of the Wii U will make the NX one hell of a system to have! 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Jranation said:
zorg1000 said:

May-Splatoon NX

June-Pikmin 4

December-3D Mario

Hopefully the sacrifice of the Wii U will make the NX one hell of a system to have! 

im also really hopeful that they do go with a unified strategy for their handheld and console. i just cant see them providing 2 seperate platforms with adequate software support if were looking at a PS4 level console and a Vita++ level handheld.

Let's just face it. It will never be a good time for the NX to release. It was doomed the moment the Wii U was revealed. It's all over for Nintendo, amirite?

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread