By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will the NX be Powerfull?

Will the NX be less powerfull

Nope, more Powerfull then PS4 187 48.32%

It will be between Wii U and Ps4 157 40.57%

It will be less powerfull then Wii U 43 11.11%

Total:387
hoala said:
Soundwave said:
If it's not powerful I think quite frankly it will be ignored by most third parties. I think Nintendo's kinda had their three strikes with the third party community and if they bring another "too cute, underpowered console that requires a bunch of hoops to jump through because it's so different from the PS4" ... it's simply just going to get ignored outright.

Wii U was kinda their last chance to make things right and that failed miserably, they're unlikely to be given another benefit of the doubt.

So I mean that's fine, if Nintendo is prepared to support the system with like 70% of its software (assuming it's a home console).

with weak hardware that very possible.

Lets face it, third party will be VERY hard for Nintendo. And brand new concept doesnt sound like "hey we now have a ps4 that can play nintendo games and all third party titles).

it wasnt the wii u´s power that made third party support go.

The wii u is stronger then ps3/x360. It could easily handle games like GTA 5, Metal Gear Solid 5, COD Advanced Warfare, Fifa 14,15, Battlefield 4, Crysis 3, Shadow of mordor, Assassins Creed rogue and more.

The problem is just that wii u owners (most likely nintendo console owners in general) arnt really interested in third party titltes and didnt bought them.

With a weak and cheap hardware NX could be the perfect 2ndery console the wiiu never was (because as expensive as ps4 = not gonna be a secondary console).

On weak hardware its also easier to develop more games (because each games wont be as demanding in general).

It is more complicated that that.

When 3rd party released their games at first, it was old games that they charged you the full price, while it that was already at 20-30$ over the other console. (Ex: MassEffect 3 was 60$ can, while you could get the triology for 40$ elsewhere).

After was the lack of DLC that make feel people they where paying for a cheaper version than the others.

Because of that people was having cold feet to buy 3rd party games. 3rd party studio was blaming the customer to not buy their games and it ended up in a dead spiral.

Around the Network
teigaga said:
zorg1000 said:

Hence why myself and many others are strong advocates for a unified platform where essentially all games are released on a single platform offered in multiple form factors.

Nintendo has consistently been able to publish about 20 retail games per year, even if that number drops next-gen, a single platform with 16 Nintendo published games is more appealing than 2 seperate platforms that each have 10 Nintendo published games.

-2 seperate pieces of hardware with a mostly shared library

Most likely this

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Marcusius said:

When 3rd party released their games at first, it was old games that they charged you the full price, while it that was already at 20-30$ over the other console. (Ex: MassEffect 3 was 60$ can, while you could get the triology for 40$ elsewhere).

GTA 5 got released on ps4 for 70 bucks while it was like 30-40 bucks on ps3.

Same with The Last of Us remastered.

Same with almost every remastered this gen. Non the less, those games sold very well on the ps4.

hoala said:
malistix1985 said:
If its not more powerfull then the PS4 and its released 3 years later when its clear the current consoles are not very powerfull to begin with.... and they want to support it for 5+ years, its just another Wii U at that point

Well look at smartphones. They are weaker then a ps4 but you can make much easier money on them, even with gaming. I think Nintendo is aiming for something similar.

Well they can aim for that with a handheld but not with a home console, they tried that with a home console its called the WiiU

they tried that with a handheld too, its called the 3DS. It seems one of those has a real chance of making impact. It should be significantly more powerfull with the same architecture and Nintendo should proof their console has a reason of coming 3 years after the competition.

Twitter @CyberMalistix

malistix1985 said:

Well they can aim for that with a handheld but not with a home console, they tried that with a home console its called the WiiU

they tried that with a handheld too, its called the 3DS. It seems one of those has a real chance of making impact. It should be significantly more powerfull with the same architecture and Nintendo should proof their console has a reason of coming 3 years after the competition.

No. The wii u was their test to use expensive hardware (first nintendo home console ever sold at an loss). Even if the chips weren high end, the gamepad and co made it expensive hardware nontheless. The Wii U was also their try to get third partys on board, failed as well.

The wii u was the most expensive nintendo home console ever sold at 350 / 400 $. And even graphically its not really THAT far behind ps4/xbox one. Check games like Mario kart 8, they could easily be ps4 games as well.

Nintendo talked about merging their home and handheld systems. So i really think the NX will be both, a playstation vita like handhed device and a playstation vita tv like device as home console. Probl more advanced then the vita, but the same idea.

The 3ds still was an success. Will probl sell more units lifetime then the xbox one. And the 3ds exclusives games were WAY easier and cheaper to make compared to the xbox one exclusives games. Still sold better. So in the end something like said will, especially for nintendo, be more profitable then a third (fourth if you count in pcs) high end system on the market.

Around the Network
Player2 said:
Ljink96 said:

Who's to say Nintendo consoles can't be in the upper price range? If they change their hardware choices to include a blu-ray player, and have up to par graphics...that'd basically be a PS4. Nintendo used to have the more expensive console, it wasn't until other companies included other media apps and players that development costs increased, thus an increase in price. You can make a PS4 comparable system and sell it for $300 now. I'd pay 400 for a Nintendo console so long as it's modern.

I do agree that Nintendo makes most of its profit off software and a low price hardware brings down that barrier to entry, but it's possible to have a moderately priced console and sell a killer amount of software. The PS4 and GTAV as one example. People will pay for a good game console with good games. Nintendo's own fanbase as of now has dwindeld down because of their lack of the ability to be modern. The NX needs 3rd parties to survive successfully. It's been the downfall of every great company. If you don't have 3rd party support, which is directly related to how your console performs power/sales wise, your console is sunk. i.e. Dreamcast, Saturn, Atari5200 and 7800, Gamegear, Lynx, 32X, Jaguar, and now Wii U.

Nintendo can hit hard, and they have. But they could hit harder with hardware that caters to everyone, while maintaining a modest price which is what the PS4 is doing and why it's sold 40 Million over Wii U's 13 Million with a 1 year headstart. I understand how Nintendo has operated in the past but things change and if Nintendo isn't willing to adopt industry standards, they minds well pack up their hardware business.

Third party multiplats aren't coming regardless of how powerful NX is. Wii U is more powerful than the PS3 and 360 yet it's first half of 2013 was barren meanwhile PS3 and 360 were getting games.

To be successful a console needs a constant stream of games. PS4 has the entire gaming industry making games for it, so Sony doesn't have to care about being able to support it properly by themselves. Nintendo doesn't have that luxury.

If Nintendo makes a powerful system and uses that power, what they get is a higher likelihood of software droughts due to longer dev cycles and less assets that can be ported between the handheld and the home console versions of their games, that's the opposite of what they're trying to achieve. Game development becomes more expensive too. If they don't use it, they're just losing customers by rising the entry barrier.

The only think that made Wii U "50%" more powerful was its gpu over PS3 and Xbox 360 which isn't much to tout about. Not to mention, Wii U porting is much more difficult than porting games from PS3 and 360. Wii U is Power PC based, and PS3 and Xbox 360 are x86. Porting from Power PC to x86 can take several months, even a year or so to port which is why Wii U ports didn't really continue. Porting between Xbox and PS3 literally takes up to a couple of months if that because their architectures are so similar in design. Power PC is really outdated, and the only reason Nintendo uses it is for its signature Backwards Compatibility.

PS4 had the entire industry, minus Nintendo, making games for it because the third parties feel comfortable on their console, because their console doesn't require special tools just to run well like NIntendo's consoles need. Bethesda outright called out Nintendo on them not supporting their console just because their consoles don't cater to everyone. If your console caters to everyone, everyone will cater to your console. Simple as that. Gamecube sales were'nt that good but they're better than Wii U's because at least it was more powerful than the PS2 and just as or almost as powerful as the OG Xbox. Their fault being storage space again, which screwed over Square whom were making games like Dragon Quest 8 which took up 4.3GB.

Software droughts are not an issue for powerful consoles like PS4 or Xbox One! They're the ones getting the multiplat games, never running out of content. With Wii U getting a few games every few months. Because those consoles cater to all developers, those developers will make content for those consoles. A console that can handle all 3rd party games will never encounter a drought. I'm not understanding where you got that from. Nintendo, they can do whatever they want in terms of game development what they do on their console is their business but if you screw over 3rd parties that are supposed to support your console while the first party works on their software, your console will fail. Without EA, Bethesda, Rockstar, Ubisoft, Square Enix, Capcom, Tecmo, Konami, Bandai Namco, From Software, just to name a few...you're console is as good as dead. 3rd parties serve many reasons, but their main reason is to support a console with software. Nintendo doesn't have that luxury only because they don't choose to cater to 3rd parties.

People will pay for a mid priced Nintendo console if they can get al their NIntendo games and everything else! This would basically render the other consoles as useless in terms of software. That may not be what NIntendo is trying to do. They're trying to be different...but divergence comes at a cost. It can be helpful (Wii) or hurtful (Wii U). Nintendo, without a doubt needs to adopt gaming industry standards into their game consoles if they wish to continue making dedicated hardware because 3rd parties aren't even willing to drum up a porting team to port to crappy Power PC when they can port a game from PS to XB with a few edits in the code.

Ljink96 said:

Wii U is Power PC based, and PS3 and Xbox 360 are x86. 

PS3 & 360 are both PowerPC, just like Wii U so that kinda throws your entire argument out of the window. Wii U is in the same power range as PS3/360 along while using the same architecture, so it shouldnt have been that hard to port games from them to Wii U.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Ljink96 said:

The only think that made Wii U "50%" more powerful was its gpu over PS3 and Xbox 360 which isn't much to tout about. Not to mention, Wii U porting is much more difficult than porting games from PS3 and 360. Wii U is Power PC based, and PS3 and Xbox 360 are x86. 

all 3 are power pc based.

Graphics comparison:

Blops 2 wii u vs ps3:

Last of US Ps3 vs Ps4

Similar improvements but ps4 owners bought TLOUR, Wii U owners didnt bought blops2.

hoala said:
malistix1985 said:

No. The wii u was their test to use expensive hardware (first nintendo home console ever sold at an loss). Even if the chips weren high end, the gamepad and co made it expensive hardware nontheless. The Wii U was also their try to get third partys on board, failed as well.

The wii u was the most expensive nintendo home console ever sold at 350 / 400 $. And even graphically its not really THAT far behind ps4/xbox one. Check games like Mario kart 8, they could easily be ps4 games as well.

Nintendo talked about merging their home and handheld systems. So i really think the NX will be both, a playstation vita like handhed device and a playstation vita tv like device as home console. Probl more advanced then the vita, but the same idea.

The 3ds still was an success. Will probl sell more units lifetime then the xbox one. And the 3ds exclusives games were WAY easier and cheaper to make compared to the xbox one exclusives games. Still sold better. So in the end something like said will, especially for nintendo, be more profitable then a third (fourth if you count in pcs) high end system on the market.

Are you kidding me, the Wii U not far behind -.- it doesn't use a x86/64 architecture processor but a IBM made "upgraded" wii processor basicly, and it has 1GB of ram versus 8GB much much faster ram in the current consoles, not to mention the output of the GFX card isnt even half, don't joke yourself.

Not to mention the Xbox and PS4 both have games installed on their HDD, which is a HUGE deal for games.

Maybe it was expensive to make, I bought it expecting something good but I won't be fooled like that again. It sounds like you will buy anything Nintendo makes, which is completely respectable and you should if you enjoy the stuff they make but if they release something that on paper and visually doesn't hold up to my expectations not to mention it needs to ship with a NORMAL controller then I am just not going to buy it

Luckely if the rumours are true this could happen, but lets not discuss this anymore since your opinion and mine are clearly not going to match, ever.

Twitter @CyberMalistix

zorg1000 said:
Ljink96 said:

Wii U is Power PC based, and PS3 and Xbox 360 are x86. 

PS3 & 360 are both PowerPC, just like Wii U so that kinda throws your entire argument out of the window. Wii U is in the same power range as PS3/360 along while using the same architecture, so it shouldnt have been that hard to port games from them to Wii U.

Got kinda mixed up in my thinking from 7th to 8th gen. So yeah, that much is true but my entire arguement isn't out the window, just the first paragraph. PS3 and 360 really shouldn't be referenced in a comparison to PS4, NX and Wii U to begin with. The fact of the matter today is that Nintendo is screwing over 3rd parties and it's been going on for some time. Games were still being ported to 360 and PS3 because the install base was firm, and 3rd parties that have sold on those consoles before have built a fanbase. Nobody bought Call of Duty on Wii, so why put forth the effort to port it to Wii U? I guess it has more to do with demographics than anything. Western 3rd parties are less likely to support Nintendo because well, Nintendo gamers aren't really inerested in that kind of content. But Japanese 3rd parties will band together and help support Nintendo if Nintendo allows it.

I still think there is a good reason behind why ports on Wii U from gen 7 turned out poor and few.