By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Doc Rivers should be fired- Clippers are doomed

It's absolutely ridiculous how a team with THREE all stars and a decent supporting cast has never managed to reach the finals(let alone the conference finals).

Every year I think to myself, "Hey, the LA Clippers may do it this year!", but something ALWAYS goes wrong. If you recall last year, they had a 3-1 lead against the ROCKETS and lost. Yes, a 3-1 lead, were up by 20 in game 5 by the end of quarter 3, but still lost.

This is getting embarrassing. Even KD+Westbrook and LeBron had supporting casts worse than them, but both managed to at least reach the finals

Chris Paul is going to decline soon, with many other  key players getting older as well.

This is a $2 billion franchise that will be in a serious mess if they can't even get past the semifinals. Besides, they traded many of their draft picks away. Their chance to make a small rebuild is unlikely. Most NBA free agents will probably be too expensive for the clippers to afford.

To be honest I think they deserve to be beaten by Portland. Portland was constantly mocked by people to be lottery-bound, but look at where they are at right now. Their average age is around 24/25, the youngest team currently in. They're actually making use of their chances.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

Around the Network

Either way, Boston appreciates the picks ;)

Aren't Paul and Griffin both injured? At least they have an excuse this year.

Doc is not going to get fired. It's not very smart to fire a coach that leads a team to the playoffs, unless there someone significantly better ready to take his place. There's also the fact that they traded picks for Rivers as well.

Also, they weren't going to get to the Finals this year anyways, even with Paul and Griffin. With Paul and Griffin injured, they now have an excuse.

When it comes to the Clippers, whatever can go wrong will go wrong.

There's only one team for LA, the basketball gods have deemed it so.

Around the Network
hershel_layton said:

If you recall last year, they had a 3-1 lead against the ROCKETS and lost. Yes, a 3-1 lead, were up by 20 in game 5 by the end of quarter 3, but still lost.

Best series of last year's playoffs. Yes, better than the finals.

KLAMarine said:
hershel_layton said:

If you recall last year, they had a 3-1 lead against the ROCKETS and lost. Yes, a 3-1 lead, were up by 20 in game 5 by the end of quarter 3, but still lost.

Lmao hell no. Spurs/Clippers was a classic.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

hershel_layton said:
KLAMarine said:

3-1 comeback though with Rockets best, James Harden, on the bench for game 6's fourth quarter in Clippers house. At that point, Rockets were 0-49 down double digits going into the fourth. Legendary game, legendary series. In retrospect, Spurs-Clippers series just makes me shake my head knowing Clippers legendary victory wouldn't mean anything, Clippers were still the Clippers.

Maybe they need to become Seattle Clippers.

What would a new head coach do to change things? Would he make them better than the Warriors and Spurs? Probably not. They're a number 3 team in the west in the best of circumstances.

The real probably is simply that other teams are better. Sometimes it's really as simple as that. The Trail Blazers of the early 90's were a great team, they really were, but they faced Pistons and Bulls teams that were some of the best teams to ever play basketball.

If they need to do anything, it's to trade Griffin and add a couple of cheaper, high-upside guys for Paul to work with. Well, the best scenario would be to trade the guy they're paying top dollar to sit on the bench if they have the lead in the fourth quarter but that's not going to happen. Griffin is flashy and has the big name that could likely get a nice return.

Right now, the Clippers have to make a decision. Are they content with being in the second tier and having a slight chance in the playoffs every year, provided everything falls just right? Or will they gamble with high impact moves in an attempt to reach that upper level?

KLAMarine said:
hershel_layton said:

3-1 comeback though with Rockets best, James Harden, on the bench for game 6's fourth quarter in Clippers house. At that point, Rockets were 0-49 down double digits going into the fourth. Legendary game, legendary series. In retrospect, Spurs-Clippers series just makes me shake my head knowing Clippers legendary victory wouldn't mean anything, Clippers were still the Clippers.

Maybe they need to become Seattle Clippers.

That is true.

Bulls/Cavs got ruined by horrible officiating and one-sidedness in favor of the cavs. Bulls should have gone up 3-1 and win series in 6 games. 

Horrible officiating really ruins the NBA. I'm glad the Rockets/Clippers series wasn't decided with rigged calls. Only thing I hate about that series is that the Rockets never lived up to it this season.