By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rock Band for the Wii

Hell, I don't even care about online or DLC, unless the DLC is really really good.

No, I'm not blindly sticking up for Nintendo and yes, I would definitely like the online options.

But no DLC won't kill Rock Band for me, and it won't kill it for tons of Wii owners. I probably won't end up buying the game, since I think Guitar Hero is a little harder and more "arcade-y" fun. But I don't think I'd want to spend too much on a few extra songs anyway.

Like bigjon said, I have friends, I don't really need online. And they won't care about a few songs we're missing out on. If I had Rock Band, we'd probably play through the game together, and then play it every once in a while...we have enough fun with Guitar Hero by just playing the songs we like and getting better at them.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network
BenKenobi88 said:
But no DLC won't kill Rock Band for me, and it won't kill it for tons of Wii owners. I probably won't end up buying the game, since I think Guitar Hero is a little harder and more "arcade-y" fun. But I don't think I'd want to spend too much on a few extra songs anyway.

It won't kill it for me either.  I'm definitely buying it as I don't have a 360/PS3 to play another version on and I probably wouldn't buy much DLC either (a few songs from the DLC list on wiki do seem interesting) but it's nice to at least have the option.  GH3 on the Wii has been real fun without DLC but the 360 version getting little treats like the Halo theme is pretty sweet.

Plus i'm more upset at the message behind the lazy porting.  They know the Wii owners are starving for the game and instead of giving us a quality version which i'm sure they have the time to work on since the other SKUs were released quite some time ago they send us a gimped port.

MontanaHatchet said:

Well...

I mean, you already have Guitar Hero III, and if you add the cost of Rock Band, you've spent more than the cost of the Wii to buy 2 games that are incredibly similar.

I'm sure we all want something (heck, I'd like a solid gold mansion in Finland), but would you really buy it?

If they had guitar compatibility, all I would need is the game and the drums. And what's wrong with buying incredibly similar games? You get a whole new song list and the ability to play the drums or rock out with 3 players (I don't care about the mic). But if I want that now, I have to buy not just the $170 game, but also an extra guitar controller. And let's not forget that I find the GH3 Les Paul to be vastly superior to the RB Fender.

The news about DLC on the Wii version of GH3 has been posted repeatedly, and 2 minutes of googling could have found you this: http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2007/12/10/wii_guitar_hero_3_getting_dlc_fixed_sound/1

Do you guys really think that Nintendo is working closely with Activision and giving EA the finger when it comes to DLC and online play? That doesn't make sense to me.

@Onyxmeth:

1) Activision and EA are both to blame for not being able to pull their heads out of their asses and come to an agreement that allows guitar compatibility. The guitars are compatible on the Xbox 360, but not on the PS3 and likely not on the Wii. There is no issue as far as the interface is concerned; the GH3 guitar acts like a classic controller plugged into the Wii Remote (check out GlovePIE sometime), so it's easy as pie to make the software support it.

2) Gamers are not interested in excuses. We are interested in awesome games. Make your game awesome and I will buy it, it's that simple. Quite honestly, these excuses are weak. The reason they chose not to implement DLC and online play is because they decided it wasn't worth spending the development resources on the game.

@ameratsu:

I understand the point you're making. I really do, and from a purely numbers-oriented, cost-of-development-vs-sales-revenue standpoint, you might be right. The problem is that this viewpoint is shortsighted. When you publish a game, you are generating more than just revenue for your company. You're releasing a product with name recognition. You're establishing a reputation for yourself. EA has proven time and time again that they don't give a rat's ass about the reputation of their products, they care only about numbers. Word of mouth is a powerful marketing tool. Publishers who ignore it can still turn a profit by counting their beans carefully, but they're missing out on future opportunities that won't be realized.

azrm2k said:
windbane said:
It is not Harmonix's fault that Nintendo is limiting the online features.

For everyone complaining about this and claiming you are going to get GH3 instead: Rock Band is still better and there's no DLC in sight for GH3. But then, I don't see why anyone would get either game for the Wii. GH3 has some nice DLC, too.

I already have 350MB of Rock Band game data, so it's not as if the Wii is even equiped to handle such a game. Just get a better system for it...PS3 or 360.

That's bull.  As much as I hate Nintendo for their pathetic excuse for an online service, in this case it is not their fault.  Online play should work just fine with the Wii.  GH3 has done it since launch so there's no reason you shouldn't be able to play online with RB on the Wii.

As for DLC like others have said DLC has basically already been started in Japan with their WiiWare releases.  Nintendo hasn't mentioned any extra storage options yet but it's only a matter of time.  And unlike the GH3 devs who said "wait and see" for the DLC when they weren't sure what Nintendo was doing MTV has just shut the door for it. 

This backlash wouldn't exist if they had just said "Well we're not planning DLC in the near future but if Nintendo can come out with a storage solution then maybe we'll look into it..."  But the fact that they said no combined with no online just confirms this is a quick and dirty PS2 port.  Think of it this way windbane: wouldn't you be upset if the PS3 version had gimped online to keep it on par with the Wii?  The Wii should not be gimped to save developmental costs by just porting the PS2 version over.

I don't care much about playing online. What I refer to by "online features" is purely the DLC. Wiiware is not the place for added content. Some of the best songs in Rock Band are DLC. To me, there is no reason to own Rock Band without the ability to download extra songs which are seemlessly integrated into both solo and multiplayer tour modes. But then, I was not waiting for a Wii verson because I've already purchased it for the PS3. I think it's the best game to play with other people in the same room. It sure got a lot more play time with my friends last weekend than Brawl, and DLC was a huge part in that. I will not argue that Rock Band is a bad purchase without DLC. It's 3 games in one (plus bass) and you get 58 songs. That's almost $1 a song if you play all 3 unique modes, and the bass is better for a few songs. Last week there were 3 $1 DLC songs, though, so those were an even better deal being carte blanche. It's just a shame to be missing the best DLC of this generation.

windbane said:
azrm2k said:
windbane said:
It is not Harmonix's fault that Nintendo is limiting the online features.

For everyone complaining about this and claiming you are going to get GH3 instead: Rock Band is still better and there's no DLC in sight for GH3. But then, I don't see why anyone would get either game for the Wii. GH3 has some nice DLC, too.

I already have 350MB of Rock Band game data, so it's not as if the Wii is even equiped to handle such a game. Just get a better system for it...PS3 or 360.

That's bull.  As much as I hate Nintendo for their pathetic excuse for an online service, in this case it is not their fault.  Online play should work just fine with the Wii.  GH3 has done it since launch so there's no reason you shouldn't be able to play online with RB on the Wii.

As for DLC like others have said DLC has basically already been started in Japan with their WiiWare releases.  Nintendo hasn't mentioned any extra storage options yet but it's only a matter of time.  And unlike the GH3 devs who said "wait and see" for the DLC when they weren't sure what Nintendo was doing MTV has just shut the door for it. 

This backlash wouldn't exist if they had just said "Well we're not planning DLC in the near future but if Nintendo can come out with a storage solution then maybe we'll look into it..."  But the fact that they said no combined with no online just confirms this is a quick and dirty PS2 port.  Think of it this way windbane: wouldn't you be upset if the PS3 version had gimped online to keep it on par with the Wii?  The Wii should not be gimped to save developmental costs by just porting the PS2 version over.

I don't care much about playing online. What I refer to by "online features" is purely the DLC. Wiiware is not the place for added content. Some of the best songs in Rock Band are DLC. To me, there is no reason to own Rock Band without the ability to download extra songs which are seemlessly integrated into both solo and multiplayer tour modes. But then, I was not waiting for a Wii verson because I've already purchased it for the PS3. I think it's the best game to play with other people in the same room. It sure got a lot more play time with my friends last weekend than Brawl, and DLC was a huge part in that. I will not argue that Rock Band is a bad purchase without DLC. It's 3 games in one (plus bass) and you get 58 songs. That's almost $1 a song if you play all 3 unique modes, and the bass is better for a few songs. Last week there were 3 $1 DLC songs, though, so those were an even better deal being carte blanche. It's just a shame to be missing the best DLC of this generation.

No, the best DLC of this generation will be the extra content for GTA4 on the 360.

Also, expect the next rockband to have DLC for the Wii. This was a Johny-come-lately port and miracle in itself that it actually made it to the Wii. Perhaps if it had done better on the consoles which you brag up this divine DLC for it wouldn't need to be ported to the PS2 and Wii after the fact.

Around the Network

http://www.petitiononline.com/rockwii/petition.html

Sign it, tell them we won't buy it unless its not gimped.

I own all of lastgen systems as of October 2008. (Finally got a Dreamcast)

I own every currentgen system except PS3.

If the five songs include something from Mario and the DK Rap, I'll have to get this version (not a game I would play online, and I don't buy much DLC). Otherwise I'll get one of the others when the price comes down.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

in the end, there is no real reason to get the wii version if you have a ps3 or 360.

not only do you lose online and dlc (which has been discussed to death) but you also lose the real tour mode.

Entroper said:
akuma587 said:
Don't buy it if you don't want it. I don't really see how they could do download content very effectively, since Nintendo hasn't even done that on first-party titles yet, with the exception of Smash I believe.

No, that's the problem. I do want it, but I want the best version of it. The Wii version could have been the best version for me instead of this crap.

And I don't see how they could not do downloadable content effectively. You seem to be saying "Nintendo hasn't even done that, except for when they have done it." Regardless of that, online play has been around more than long enough.

First parties tend to implement ANY new feature on their console first, especially Nintendo, who won't even let third parties use the Miis yet (may have changed within the past few months without my noticing).

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

I heard about the lack of DLC and online play, but where did it say the create-a-character and tour mode was gone?

Aurally examine my music!

Wear gaudy colours or avoid display. It's all the same.

Be warned, I will use walls of polysyllables and complex clauses as a defence against lucid argument.

Wand to read a creepy thread?