By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rock Band for the Wii

akuma587 said:
Don't buy it if you don't want it. I don't really see how they could do download content very effectively, since Nintendo hasn't even done that on first-party titles yet, with the exception of Smash I believe.

3 of the Wiiware titles that launched today (in Japan) have extra downloadable content. NA's Wiiware will be out long before Rockband so there's absolutely no excuse it's not available. Same with Online.

Worst, in my opinion, is that you can't use the GH controller, considering how well that's sold, it'll discourage people from shelling out $170 for Rockband considering that still mean you need to shell out another $50-60 for an additional guitar.

Worse still, it's been announced GH will add downloadable content making Rockband seem very inferior.

Around the Network
Gamerace said:

Worse still, it's been announced GH will add downloadable content making Rockband seem very inferior.

Does anyone have a link to this? I Havnt heard anything about GH downloadable content for the Wii.

On Topic: This may sound hypocritical because of the sentence above but oh well. I think a good solid game is a good solid game regardless of what could be featured. I dont understand the big deal about downloadable content. All the really great games I remember playing (zelda, mario, street fighter, megaman, casltevania, final fantasy, xenogears, etc, etc, etc.) had zero downloadable content and were still amazing and replayable. I think that if a game is worth its full price tag it'll sell regardless of downloadable content. Or are people getting to acustomed to it now? Im still not really "on board" with the whole online gaming community so im sure my opinion is far from the popular one.

Crabmaster2000 said:

Does anyone have a link to this? I Havnt heard anything about GH downloadable content for the Wii.

On Topic: This may sound hypocritical because of the sentence above but oh well. I think a good solid game is a good solid game regardless of what could be featured. I dont understand the big deal about downloadable content. All the really great games I remember playing (zelda, mario, street fighter, megaman, casltevania, final fantasy, xenogears, etc, etc, etc.) had zero downloadable content and were still amazing and replayable. I think that if a game is worth its full price tag it'll sell regardless of downloadable content. Or are people getting to acustomed to it now? Im still not really "on board" with the whole online gaming community so im sure my opinion is far from the popular one.

It wouldn't be such a big deal if Rock Band hadn't done DLC better than ANY game before it.  It is the best model for DLC we have seen yet this generation.  Weekly updates plus material that everyone can enjoy is the way to go.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

ameratsu said:
Nebnosneh said:

This is effing ridiculous.

I wish the PS2 would hurry up and die so developers no longer have the option of just porting PS2 games to the Wii.

To be fair though, if this gimped version of Rock Band sells well, why should harmonix care? If they can get away with putting out half-baked iterations of popular games (and having them sell), what makes you think once the ps2 is out of the equation that they will make any additional effort?

I'm just hoping that with the PS2 out of the picture, these developers will have to develop for the Wii ground up resulting in the Wii's capabilities being used more fully.

But yeah you make a good point, they might not.

"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever." - Spinal Tap

akuma587 said:
Crabmaster2000 said:

It wouldn't be such a big deal if Rock Band hadn't done DLC better than ANY game before it.  It is the best model for DLC we have seen yet this generation.  Weekly updates plus material that everyone can enjoy is the way to go.

But its not like Wii owners are used to getting downloadable content yet. It would be a different story if the 360 version had downloadable content removed before it was shipped.

I firmly believe that unless its absolutely free content that your downloading its not worth it. It should have been in the original game or they can save the content for a future release.

Around the Network
ameratsu said:

To be fair though, if this gimped version of Rock Band sells well, why should harmonix care? If they can get away with putting out half-baked iterations of popular games (and having them sell), what makes you think once the ps2 is out of the equation that they will make any additional effort?

Because a non-gimped version will sell better. For the sake of simple math I will use $150 for Rock Band. If they put forth say $2.5 million for a gimped game and sell say 700k copies you have a total revenue of 105ish million and profit is almost certain to follow yes? If you put out a full version though it will garner more sales via more features and less people slagging it for being gimped. If it cost a full $5 million but managed to sell 1.7 million copies you have upped revenue to 250 million and gotten a ton more profit and a better return on your investment. Then you factor in the microtransactions which costs you next to nothing to pop out on an extra system but have an extra 1.7ish million people to sell to.

These are all numbers pulled out of my ass to illustrate my point and in no way are meant to reflect reality. I just wanted to demonstrate why developers do put in the extra effort on games.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

The only reason I'm not buying it is because the GH3 guitar won't work with Rockband. If the retards at harmonix had just used the wiimote like they eluded too in previous interviews they would not have a problem with compatability. Then the assholes try to blame Activision for it.

I hate EA.

This sounds a lot like a PS2 port. Too many of those (unfortunately).

And at $170 for a $250 system, I doubt it will sell to platnum.
I mean how many GH3 owners are going to shell out funds for the same type of game.

This makes me want to go get GH3. Does anyone know have details about the mono disk replacement status?

Of course, with Gibson suing everyone, music in video games will be outlawed by June. 8*>

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

akuma587 said:
Don't buy it if you don't want it. I don't really see how they could do download content very effectively, since Nintendo hasn't even done that on first-party titles yet, with the exception of Smash I believe.

No, that's the problem.  I do want it, but I want the best version of it.  The Wii version could have been the best version for me instead of this crap.

And I don't see how they could not do downloadable content effectively.  You seem to be saying "Nintendo hasn't even done that, except for when they have done it."  Regardless of that, online play has been around more than long enough.

Entroper said:
akuma587 said:

No, that's the problem. I do want it, but I want the best version of it. The Wii version could have been the best version for me instead of this crap.

And I don't see how they could not do downloadable content effectively. You seem to be saying "Nintendo hasn't even done that, except for when they have done it." Regardless of that, online play has been around more than long enough.

Well...

I mean, you already have Guitar Hero III, and if you add the cost of Rock Band, you've spent more than the cost of the Wii to buy 2 games that are incredibly similar. 

I'm sure we all want something (heck, I'd like a solid gold mansion in Finland), but would you really buy it?