By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PSN alone almost generated the same sales than all of Nintendo in 2015

Luke888 said:
topolino227 said:
I dont get why so many People are "mad" about paying for Services like PS+ or Xbox Gold, i mean so is paying for an internet Connection also "Bullshit" in your opinion?!? Im absolutely fine with it paying 50 Euro/Year for a Service like this, also you get free Games. Ok mabye a lot of People dont like them and think its "Bullshit" because they arent Triple A Title, but what do you expect!?

And if Nintendo would go the same way i wouldnt be surprised or mad, but they are mabye not in the Position to do something like this, thats why.

the problem is that when you pay for PS+/XBGold you still have to pay the company providing an Internet Connection lol

If I don't care about the games PS+ offers me, and I'm paying said company for my Internet, why do I have to pay additional money to play online in a game that costed me 60€ and in most cases relies 90% on online ?

Because maintenance to servers cost money I guess. Besides PSN and Xlive do outperform the Nintendo network in therms of lag. Especially SSB U is frustrating sometimes Mario Kart 8 on the other hand does a very good job.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Around the Network
Qwark said:
Luke888 said:

In that case DS can be scrapped since I really doubt Nintendo still ships DS retail software. On the other hand how on earth are PSN of Vita and PS4 making almost more income than everything of 3DS and WiiU combined. I tought 3DS did quite good.

This is sales/revenue, not income/profit.

Amazing figures for Sony; Congrats !

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

Norris2k said:

I would perhaps have been fine a few years ago... nowadays, I can spend weeks not playing, and play only a few hours a month online. I mean if my game of the month is UC4, I will only play a few hours online. Spending for that is really annoying.

You don't have to subscribe for a whole year, if you only play occasionally multiplayer games/modi. You can get a monthly subscription once or twice a year to play online these months and play offline the rest of the year. Make it your own 30-days-multiplayer event. ;)

On XBL it is even more convenient, since many retail games include Gold-codes for 24 hours - 3 days, some older 360 games even a full month. I had the Xbox360 since launch in November 2005 and I have an Xbox One since last summer... I paid next to nothing for XBL Gold all these years. If I wanted to try out the multiplayer modus of a game, I just used one of these codes. "Free Online"-weekends and €1-promotions were also welcome.

Out of curiosity I just checked my XBL-account (the 1 - 3 days codes aren't listed):

• €0 for 1 trial month XBL Gold in June - July 2006
  • $0 for 1 trial month XBL Gold in August - September 2006 (US-account)
  • €0 for 1 month XBL Gold in May - June 2008 (game code)
  • ? for 3 months XBL Gold in March - June 2009 (could have been a gift)
  • €0 for 1 month XBL Gold in August - September 2009 (game code)
  • €1 for 1 month XBL Gold in June - July 2010 (€1-promotion)
  • €0 for 1 month XBL Gold in June - July 2015 (free month for XBO activation); incl. Massive Chalice, CastleStorm Def. Ed., Pool Nation FX
  • €1 for 1 month XBL Gold in November - December 2015 (€1-promotion); incl. Killer Instinct, Van Helsing, Thief, Pneuma, KnightSquad, Dungeon Siege 3, Sacred 3, Operation Flashpoint
  • €1 for 1 month XBL Gold in March - April 2016 (€1-promotion); incl. Sunset Overdrive, The Wolf Among Us, Lords of the Fallen, Sherlock Holmes: Crimes & Punishments, Borderlands, Dead Space, Saints Row 4

My actual "online month" is ending soon; I used it to play Halo 5, Sunset Overdrive, Forza Horizon 2, Gears of War: Ultimate Edition and Gears of War 4 Beta online.

Teeqoz said:
baloofarsan said:

Here are the same numbers in a table that includes 2012-2013.

I have searched for the source of these numbers many times but have not found any.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BeNAZ5bCYAA0g-W.jpg

Those numbers are total bogus, both for MS and Sony. Nintendo numbers are likely correct though, because they are only a video game company. For Sony and MS, many of the years include other divisions. The correct number for 2012 for instance would be about 300 million $, so a whopping 3.1 billion more than that graph suggests.

that's why the original graph didn't pass the smell test to me and I wanted some clarification on what's being measured here. especially suspicious are the numbers for the early to mid 2000's when the PS2 was the most successful console of all times. something is not adding up

Around the Network
Qwark said:
Luke888 said:

the problem is that when you pay for PS+/XBGold you still have to pay the company providing an Internet Connection lol

If I don't care about the games PS+ offers me, and I'm paying said company for my Internet, why do I have to pay additional money to play online in a game that costed me 60€ and in most cases relies 90% on online ?

Because maintenance to servers cost money I guess. Besides PSN and Xlive do outperform the Nintendo network in therms of lag. Especially SSB U is frustrating sometimes Mario Kart 8 on the other hand does a very good job.

I think sales for a good game should be enough to pay for development+online server support for X years+revenue, if a company can't do that then they should just make cheaper games/scrap online in the first place...

setsunatenshi said:
Teeqoz said:

Those numbers are total bogus, both for MS and Sony. Nintendo numbers are likely correct though, because they are only a video game company. For Sony and MS, many of the years include other divisions. The correct number for 2012 for instance would be about 300 million $, so a whopping 3.1 billion more than that graph suggests.

that's why the original graph didn't pass the smell test to me and I wanted some clarification on what's being measured here. especially suspicious are the numbers for the early to mid 2000's when the PS2 was the most successful console of all times. something is not adding up

The PS2 era numbers are correct though

You have to consider that Nintendo had the massively succesful GBA and DS.

Teeqoz said:
setsunatenshi said:

again, we're talking SCE numbers or Sony as a whole?are you saying during the ps2 era SCE couldn't make 1b$ in any year while Nintendo has done it since 98? maybe if we're including losses from Vaio, Bravia and other divisions, fine. SCE alone during ps2 not reaching 1B in black sounds very very strange

LoL, Sony, generated so much with Online Purchases on PSN ?, this isn't even more money than Steam ?, i don't knew that a Console's Digital Network, would be able to make money on Steam's Level, because majority purchase Retail games, and people need to remember that PSN Plus, is 50US$, in other countries is cheaper, other countries is Expensive, in Brazil, was avaliable for 25US$ for a lot of time, nearly a Year, even if Every PS4 Owners signed PS Plus, 40 Millions x 50 = 2 Billions, still other 2.3 Billions from other sources of Revenue (not every PS4 Owner signed PS Plus, i think that is close to 50-60% of the Owners.)

setsunatenshi said:
Teeqoz said:

again, we're talking SCE numbers or Sony as a whole?are you saying during the ps2 era SCE couldn't make 1b$ in any year while Nintendo has done it since 98? maybe if we're including losses from Vaio, Bravia and other divisions, fine. SCE alone during ps2 not reaching 1B in black sounds very very strange

That is exactly what I'm saying. I'm telling you that you have to consider that Nintendo has their massively succesful (especially at the time) handheld division, which was just as succesful as Sony's home console division, and in addition, Nintendo's 1st party software has always sold a lot better than Sony's 1st party software, and profit margins are much higher with 1st party software than 3rd party software.