By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft in unique position to disrupt Sony's console reign

SvennoJ said:

I still don't see how to come to the conclusion that all games after October must have a NEO mode.

All I gather from Eurogamer is that Sony wants to strongly encourage developers to include a NEO mode, by not allowing any NEO patches for games released after October. The rest of the article goes on what a NEO mode can't do.

Again further on
Sony is very keen on developers supporting both systems simultaneously, and is motivating developers to ensure that there is Neo support in all PS4 titles from Q4 onwards this year.

Still not required, nor what improvements there must be apart from 1080p and fps >= ps4 version. Motivating is not mandating.
We'll see in October what NEO mode is actually going to be in reality.

Sony are mandating that all games MUST be 1080p in Neo mode as of October. They're also mandating that all games must 'run' equal to or better than the base PS4. These are mandates.

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network

Best case: You get some indie games. No biggie but nice to have.

Worst case: Win10 apps on Xbox One. Meh.

Not going to change Europe and Japans mind on anything. Hell, NA too.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

GribbleGrunger said:
SvennoJ said:

I still don't see how to come to the conclusion that all games after October must have a NEO mode.

All I gather from Eurogamer is that Sony wants to strongly encourage developers to include a NEO mode, by not allowing any NEO patches for games released after October. The rest of the article goes on what a NEO mode can't do.

Again further on
Sony is very keen on developers supporting both systems simultaneously, and is motivating developers to ensure that there is Neo support in all PS4 titles from Q4 onwards this year.

Still not required, nor what improvements there must be apart from 1080p and fps >= ps4 version. Motivating is not mandating.
We'll see in October what NEO mode is actually going to be in reality.

Sony are mandating that all games MUST be 1080p in Neo mode as of October. They're also mandating that all games must 'run' equal to or better than the base PS4. These are mandates.

But as I understood by your eurogamer article, these are mandates ONLY IF you put a Neo mode in your game. You don't have to put this mode if you don't want it in your game.

Anyway, we are debating on something that haven't be proved and yet currently unofficial. Remember the fake pad for NX ?

As I said days ago, I think I will have a good laugh when Sony reveal the true thing.

Lauster said:
GribbleGrunger said:

But as I understood by your eurogamer article, these are mandates ONLY IF you put a Neo mode in your game. You don't have to put this mode if you don't want it in your game.

Anyway, we are debating on something that haven't be proved and yet currently unofficial. Remember the fake pad for NX ?

As I said days ago, I think I will have a good laugh when Sony reveal the true thing.

We don't know what it is, we only have rumors, and Sales are not being affected by those rumors, so Sony, don't have a single reason to say something before E3, the PS Neo, can even be the new name of PSVR.

What stretch from the op.... Xbone is dead this generation. Sony is doing the right thing with ps4 neo, it will give better life to ps4 ecosystem offering a upgrade on graphics and able to leverage the PS VR. If Microsoft plan was to wait out the next console cycle, sony just screwed their plan, by prolonging the ps4 dominance with this mid-cycle revision which will stretch this cycle.

Around the Network
GribbleGrunger said:

They're also mandating that all games must 'run' equal to or better than the base PS4. These are mandates.

That is a no-brainer "mandate". Any non-optimized game, like all Indies, will of course run better (whichever way you want to define "better") on a system that is 30%+ faster than the old system. That is just the law of brute-force programming.

The only people in trouble are the developers like Naughty Dog, for example, that tend to analyze and then optimize every clock cycle in every thread on the PS4. Such a game, unchanged, will run unpredictably on the new system and will require a lot of additional development time (hence why some of the developers are rumoured to be "pissed").

binary solo said:
Wright said:

I agree with some of your points, but what I tried to argue with the other user is the fact that Microsoft has the power to disrupt Sony's console marketplace. They've already done it in the past, something the other user didn't agree on.

They have? I think Wii was a bigger disruption than 360. And add to Wii the fact that Sony distrupted itself, 360 just happened to be in the right place at the right time, and was able to take advantage of a situation not of its own making.

It's really hard to say what would have happened if 360 wasn't around during the Wii and PS3 era. I'd think the difference in sales between both, even if I do agree the Wii definitively disrupted Sony's reign, would have been much, much closer than how it is right now. 360 wasn't only at the right place, they also brought such an agressive marketing and actively took advantage of every single mistake Sony made (since MS wanted to compete with Sony primarily, not with Nintendo).

GribbleGrunger said:
Plerpy_ said:

Where did you hear that?

From what I understood (my God these are rumours why are even discussing them...) you can release one version of the game if you want but you're not allowed to then make a Neo version afterwards. That only applies to games which have been released before the Neo has.

Which means it isn' t a gigantic pain in the arse at all. Devs can continue to make games they way they always have if they want to.

Apparently. Maybe. Possibly.

Games MUST be at least 1080p/30fps so devs can't release a game on the NEO at 900p which means they can't do what the poster implies. So, for instance,  The Witcher 3 would have to be 1080p/60fps (not 1080p/30fps) and Starwars Battlefront would have to be 1080p/60fps (not 900p/60fps).

@bolded wrong, they haven't said that the NEO version needs to be better, the leak only stated that it has to be 1080p. So TW3 could still be 1080p@30fps.

I don't see how a marginally upgraded PS4 gives MS any shot at disrupting PS4. They lost the gen with the reveal. Also, lots of people are still hoping MS has something up their sleeve that represents a much better upgrade than what Sony is apparently doing. I have long said these consoles are weak. The PS4K is still pretty weak. I really hope if MS is going to do something similar, it's a much larger upgrade. Outside of maybe the ability to play 4K BR's, I don't see a reason to pay for such a small upgrade.

TruckOSaurus said:
GribbleGrunger said:

Devs aren't allowed to do that.

So devs are going to be forced to make a superior PS4.5 version?

From what I've read, the conditions are, must be 1080p and have the same or better frame rate as PS4.

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4