By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft in unique position to disrupt Sony's console reign

I honestly thought this was a joke thread.

Around the Network

The are in a position to disrupt a 20 million + unit lead?
That a lot of disrupting? Also how does PC effect Sony's console reign.
I think this is satire.

Wright said:
Swordmasterman said:

I agree with some of your points, but what I tried to argue with the other user is the fact that Microsoft has the power to disrupt Sony's console marketplace. They've already done it in the past, something the other user didn't agree on.

They have? I think Wii was a bigger disruption than 360. And add to Wii the fact that Sony distrupted itself, 360 just happened to be in the right place at the right time, and was able to take advantage of a situation not of its own making.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

the-pi-guy said:
GribbleGrunger said:

Did you even read what I replied to?

'Devs will just release the one version for PS4 and say well it runs on PS4.5 so that is fine. Only a few real big games and Son'y 1st party will bother full upgrading games to the PS4.5 specs.'

Devs aren't allowed to do that.

Devs are allowed to do that if their game fulfills their requirements.

-1080p30 is achieved by most PS4 games and those games are allowed on 4K.

GribbleGrunger said:

Games MUST be at least 1080p/30fps so devs can't release a game on the NEO at 900p which means they can't do what the poster implies. So, for instance,  The Witcher 3 would have to be 1080p/60fps (not 1080p/30fps) and Starwars Battlefront would have to be 1080p/60fps (not 900p/60fps).

The Witcher 3 is 1080p30, which is allowed on PS4K.  

I just gave you a 'for instance' so why are you telling me The Witcher 3 is 1080p/30fps? ALL games MUST have a Neo mode as of October going forward. In other words they MUST be better than the PS4 version in some way. Devs are not allowed to do what the poster suggested.

The PS5 Exists. 

Looks like much ado about nothing, honestly.

Developers just allow the software to read the hardware and adjust display settings based on that. Just like PC, with only a LOT less variables. They only need two presets. Should be cake.

Around the Network
pokoko said:
Looks like much ado about nothing, honestly.

Developers just allow the software to read the hardware and adjust display settings based on that. Just like PC, with only a LOT less variables. They only need two presets. Should be cake.

Pretty much, yeah.

The PS5 Exists. 

WoodenPints said:
GribbleGrunger said:

Devs aren't allowed to do that.

So basically we will never see a single Indie game on PS4 ever again as the standard PS4 version will look the exact same on PS4.5.

This, pretty much.

Sure first party developers will make games prettier for the PS4.5, but mostly they will probalby be about the same.  You want you game to run, and run well, and the PS4 is where you will spend most of your time.

Then tack on a few features for the PS4.5 and charge a bit more, and it will be about as popular as the Wii Motion Plus was for the Wii.  Sure a few use it, but mostly just a first party thing.  It will have a smaller market share than even the WiiU for at least a while.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

the-pi-guy said:

We don't know what this means.  

Starting in October, every PS4 game is required to ship with both a “Base Mode” which will run on the currently available PS4 and a “NEO Mode” for use on the new console.

But the only requirements we know for this are:

-Games must be at least 1080p

-Games must run at least as well as the base version.  

Neo mode means 'better'. Devs can't just call it Neo mode and then offer the PS4 version. This is why Sony are mandating it. It might just be better AA, a slightly higher resolution, better framerates (or steadier) or more post processing effects, but it HAS to have a Neo mode and it has to be better in some way. What the poster said won't be allowed.

The PS5 Exists. 

Vasto said:

Remember back at E3 2013 when Don Mattrick revealed the always-online Xbox One with its non-shareable games? That event nearly demolished the Xbox brand altogether, and it's taken three years for the company to put the pieces back together. Sony won this current generation simply by doing the complete opposite of Microsoft and listening to its consumer base. Now the roles have been reversed--Sony's new PlayStation 4.5 is the company's pre-E3 2013 Xbox One, and Microsoft has found itself in a very advantageous position to steal this generation.

Microsoft has a singular advantage over Sony: the new Windows 10 Dev Mode. This new tool allows devs to make a single game that's playable on both PC and Xbox, alleviating the need for multiple ports. Sony's PlayStation 4.5, on the other hand, is a nightmare for devs because they now have to make two PS4 ports of every game, meaning multi-plat will need four ports (PS4, PS4.5, Xbox One, and PC). Every PS4 game released after October needs to have two versions--a PS4 and a PS4.5 flavor that supports 4K upscaling. As a result of this news, the new PS4.5 is pissing off lots of devs, and BioWare's co-founder even went so far as to say its a "gigantic pain in the ass".

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/51730/microsoft-unique-position-disrupt-sonys-console-reign/index.html

Remember back in E3 2013 Sony spoke with all the developers to ask what they want for  the ps4 to be ? Powerfull and easy to develope like PC when M$ was screw the developers we make kinect and tv pain in the ass on gamers and developers?  And with EA support screw it once more for always online?

So now Sony has giving them the same ps4 with more memory space to make easy what gamers want  1080p 60fps and is pain in the ass for them?

The old games will be update if developers want to run at 1080p if the developers want they make it 4k too

The new games will be develop on the same ps4 hardware and will be updated with patch on ps4 neo slim to run better resolution how hard is this if you have the power to do it with a single patch? Every time to open the 8th gen console today pop up patches for the games every time

What if MS has already  new improve xbox for the same thing?

Sony  will had 4k ready console probably Nintendo too and MS will stuck on the same old 720p hardware? only to make wind 10 games with pc and xbox like QB port? they look ready even for that

Bioware's developer spoke about the previous rumors that makes ps4 has complete new hardwere and with 100gb blu ray driver

the-pi-guy said:
GribbleGrunger said:

Neo mode means 'better'. Devs can't just call it Neo mode and then offer the PS4 version. This is why Sony are mandating it. It might just be better AA, a slightly higher resolution, better framerates (or steadier) or more post processing effects, but it HAS to have a Neo mode and it has to be better in some way. What the poster said won't be allowed.

Source that it has to be better somehow?

Because it's Neo mode and Neo mode must be better as mandated by Sony. What would be the point in mandating Neo mode if devs can just carry on releasing PS4 games without improvements? There has to be improvements of some sort otherwise there's not point in the Neo. It's really simple.

The PS5 Exists.