Forums - Sony Discussion - After much resistance, I am on board with the Neo

Do you like the idea of the Neo

Yes 120 32.00%

No 124 33.07%

As long as they keep to t... 111 29.60%

I told you console peasants they were weak! 7 1.87%

No Opinion 13 3.47%

Total:375

I don't have a 4k TV, and I have no plans on buying one any time soon. But I have a great 1080p TV. With that said if the Neo pretty much guarantee the "Neo version" of that game will run at 1080p, by gain. So let's see what becomes of this Neo.

Around the Network
zero129 said:

This is also the reason why console gamers didnt pick a PC for their gaming, since they want to be playing the games looking the "Same" as their mates version without having to worry about buying new hardware every 3 years to do that.

This only really hit me home after a few of my PS4 mates (Who i thought would be really excited for new hardware) got pissed when i told them i was getting the PS4k when it comes out. They now feel ripped off and swore they will never buy another Sony console again. Maybe they will come around to the idea after awhile since the wound is still freash for them.

i strongly doubt "my game will look exactly like my mates games" was the primary reason anyone bought or buys a console. 

And you're really twisting facts to suit your argument. 

Let's look at that buy a PC for $700 argument of yours. 

In 2013 when the PS4 launched. It came with an 18CU GPU. At the time, an AMD 7970 GPU with 32CUs retailed for over $400. JUDT FOR THE GPU ALONE!!!!

Not a chance in hell that you spend anything less than $900-$1000 by the time you toss in everything else that goes into building a PC if you are going with a GPU like that. 

If the Neo specs are true, it's coming with a 36CU GPU with everything else all for under $400. And because the Neo isn't replacing the PS4 it means that the PS4 still has value. You will start seeing a lot of PS4s up for sale for as little as $200 now. meaning that anyone that sells his PS4 for $200 and adds on the difference buys a new PS4 for $200. And I can guarantee you that lots of stores will offer trade in deals where u trade in your PS4 for $150 and add the difference for the new model and just turn round and sell your ps4 for $180-$200. 

No matter how anyone spins it, console gaming is always cheaper than PC gaming if you are talking price/performance. 

And this thing you keep saying about people buying consoles and expecting it to last them for 6-8yrs. THE CONSOLE STILL WILL LAST YOU FOR 6-8 YEARS.

There just happens to be an option to upgrade half way through if you so CHOOSE to. This is like getting pissed when a company releases a 4k TV 2 years after you bought that 1080p TV from them. even tho you can still watch all your 1080p movies on your TV. 

I really don't see how this is taking so many by surprise. Sometime last year I made a thread saying this is pretty much exactly what will happen. And just wit till MS and Nintendo adopt the same strategy. 

potato_hamster said:
Bandorr said:
If the games work on my ps4 - I won't have a problem.
I don't understand the mentality of "but I will be mad I don't have the best version" or any version of that.

That would mean constantly having the best TV, phone, car, computer, clothes, shoes, jewelry etc. That would just be a nightmare.

Did you buy your PS4 expecting to be able to play the latest console games until 2019-2020, if not later?
Probably.

Yes and this is still true.

Did you buy your PS4 expecting to never have to worry about how well a new game will run on your PS4? That you would never have to worry whether your version of the PS4 got a "lazy port"?
Probably.

No.  Plenty of games, right now, on consoles have performance issues on the latest consoles, especially some of the games I play.   Not because of PS4 Neo, rather all on their own.  But that is the nature of bleeding edge graphics on consoles that you can't upgrade yourself like you can a PC.  PS4 Neo gives us a tradeup if we want it that can potentially either solve those performance issues or enhance games even further.

My point being, your expectations of what the console will provide for you over the next few years now unexpectedly will no longer meet reality. Base PS4 owners will have legitimate concerns how well games will run on their PS4 and how long their console will be supported from the point the Neo is released onwards. In fact they might have decided to buy a PS4 over a PC to specifically avoid those concerns, and that is frustrating.

It's a bit of a bait and switch.

I just don't see it that way.  

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

I have to agree. On the other hand, if this new ps4,5 doesn't get any content specifically made for the beefier hardware, then the point of releasing it is a bit mute if you ask me. Personally I'm hoping that at least the VR games will take good advantage of the extra horsepower.

dharh said:

Plenty of games, right now, on consoles have performance issues on the latest consoles, especially some of the games I play.   Not because of PS4 Neo, rather all on their own.  But that is the nature of bleeding edge graphics on consoles that you can't upgrade yourself like you can a PC.

I would even argue PS4 Neo could improve the situation for PS4, as checking the 1080p box won't be necessary for that version anymore, which means devs can easily switch to 900p/720p or use one of the newer dynamic resolution techniques to ensure stable performance in all/most scenes.

Around the Network
zero129 said:
kowenicki said:
I agree, I have no idea why anyone would have a problem.

BUT.... I do wonder if the narrative would be the same if MS was doing this but not Sony.

I think we would be seeing a lot of "anti-consumer" rhetoric. Actually, I know we would.

We already did see that with the rumored Xbox10.

It is kinda funny to see how many was against that. But now alot of them same people are now for the PS4k or have nothing to say on it.

I Was against it before, when was just the Xbox One, i'm Against it now, and i will aways be against it, i'm so much against it that i will only believe that this is true, after a Official Announcement.

Intrinsic said:
DraconianAC said:

My issue is clear:

If you're going to bring two different model versions onto the market, You do it when you first launch:

$399 for PS4 = Sub par 1080p ~ 30FPS
$499~599 PS4 = 1080p Native 60FPS with 4k (movie playback?)

But to introduced a different more powerful model midterm after telling their customers that the PS4 was engineered with a 10 year life and that it will reach get 1080p native if the developer truly understands the architecture is plane false advertising to me. I'm not down with that. If they were upfront with it from the beginning and let the market decide which sku will sell better, I would totally understand their PS4 and PS4.5 versions then.

I domt think you understand what a ten year life span means. 

However, can you show me a single place that it was said or discussed that they will never make a PS4 that improves on the base model mid cycle?

Alright, so I'll regress on my expectations; it just seemed like what they were selling was something in the lines of what PS3 became, but better. That it was a machine that was made streamline to people to easily code for it, but that it would take time over the years for them to use all of the hidden attributes. They did not talk about 1080p native resolution, but that was because it had not become the standard of what gamers, I think, feel their AA, AAA, games need to be at (60fps wasn't much of the talking point either)

Here is what I was sold on, you make the judge on whether it is a bit missleading or not.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2013/09/19/mark-cerny-on-ps4-architecture-i-think-around-2016-or-so-is-when-well-see-the-benefits/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWvvJUq_L_k

It gave me the sense of security that they would not modify the CPU and GPU until the PS5 would be announced. If you want to pull the, you didn't read the fine print argument, then I can say your right, but that is not the way it should be, and I will vote with my purchasing power.

dharh said:

Yes and this is still true.

Is it? How long do you think Sony will be supporting the Base PS4? Because When I bought the PS4 I figured it would be the same as my PS1, PS2, and PS3 - 2 years after the next PS console comes out. Now I have no idea if that will be true.

Did you buy your PS4 expecting to never have to worry about how well a new game will run on your PS4? That you would never have to worry whether your version of the PS4 got a "lazy port"?
Probably.

No.  Plenty of games, right now, on consoles have performance issues on the latest consoles, especially some of the games I play.   Not because of PS4 Neo, rather all on their own.  But that is the nature of bleeding edge graphics on consoles that you can't upgrade yourself like you can a PC.  PS4 Neo gives us a tradeup if we want it that can potentially either solve those performance issues or enhance games even further.

That's totally different. Sure developers make crappy console ports, that's always a concern. But now I have to worry about whether I'm buying a crappy console port not because of the game, which could run amazingly on the PS4K, but because of my base PS4. There is absolutely nothing stopping developers from making crappy base PS4 versions going forward.

I just don't see it that way. 

You're entitled to your opinion.

Lafiel said:
SvennoJ said:

Can you show me a place where they discuss adding a different hardware spec?

“So the PS4’s enlarged, very fast memory allows us in the future to improve and add more new features. And at the same time we are continuing to invest and add onto the online services so that, three years from now, the PS4 will be much, much better than PS4 this holiday – and that was the case on PS3 and PS Vita.”
https://www.vg247.com/2013/06/12/sony-to-support-ps4-for-10-years-always-wanted-to-hit-the-399-price-point/
Seems they wanted you to believe the ps4 had enough room to grow.

The addition of complementary technology for Sony's PlayStation 4 through features like cloud-based game streaming and mobile apps will allow the console to stay in-step with new trends and new technologies, Sony says.
http://www.polygon.com/2013/11/13/5102084/embracing-new-technology-lets-ps4-shift-strategy-over-its-10-year

Blame the failure of the cloud I guess.

were they wrong? Is U4 not a giant leap up from launch games? and the stuff they are able to do with "dreams" is just breathtaking

I very much doubt Sony is releasing a stronger PS4 because the performance of the console isn't good enough to warrant 10 years of software support, the reason is much much more likely to be economics. My theory (I voiced several times in this and other threads) is that there is very limited potential for price cuts with the current model possibly due to shrinking the APU not being viable (horrible yields, enormous investments to get current architecture rdy for different process), while the stronger APU actually can end up being cheaper (smaller die size) > more potential for price cuts in the future, which extends sales/profits to be had with the console.

Erm, in no universe is doubling the amount of compute units cheaper than sticking to the same amount. Makes no sense.
You say smaller die size is possible for a new APU but not for the current one?

I have no idea why they are doing this. Maye they figure tech isn't moving fast enough anymore for a generational leap to ps5 in 2019 and decided to try this to prolong the 8th generation. Which sucks. With a new generation you can expect new and improved gameplay features, for NEO Sony has already stated that only the graphics may be improved... Will that be the same again for a NEO.2 in 2019, or will the base ps4 be let go and the first NEO be the ball and chain. Or is there still a ps5 coming in 2019, 2020, 2021. What exactly are you buying with a NEO?

I really don't care. I just want external hard drive support.

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence