Do you like the idea of the Neo

Yes 120 32.00%

No 124 33.07%

As long as they keep to t... 111 29.60%

I told you console peasants they were weak! 7 1.87%

No Opinion 13 3.47%

Total:375
mutantsushi said:
This "PS4K sucks becuz developer workload" is ridiculous.
Solely on basis of PS4 install base, it is already worthwhile even if it meant 2x the workload of PS4.0 only. (and it won't)
Even if PS4K doesn't result in net gain in sales over existing PS4 (i.e. the PS4k specific work is just a "tax" on PS4 game dev),
that existing PS4 base and sales trend makes it worthwhile.
If a dev didn't like the overhead of developing for a distinct platform, they would drop XBone based on it's install base/sales.
XBone actually IS a distinct platform with unique architecture, unlike PS4K which just beefs up PS4 platform.

The idea that "indy devs" would be most hurt is sillier just because those are not pushing hardware boundaries to begin with,
they are the most likely to already be at 1080p to begin with... And the PS4 install base/sales is still the best market for them to target.

Indie devs are hurt more as it is a bigger chunk of their budget for the extra testing/QA, plus they have to buy extra devkits.

Indie devs have the most to lose with increased QA costs

Publishing on consoles already costs a lot more
http://numbers.kotaku.com/total-cost-of-publishing-an-indie-game-last-week-sixty-1618376285
yet still better than getting drowned on Steam.

But true, big publishers can easily absorb the cost, just takes a bit longer to finish a game. There's no chance they'll abandon the ps4, yet 40 pounds extra DLC for the full game might happen sooner on ps4 too. I guess that's the overhead costs for launching on the smaller platform.

Around the Network
mutantsushi said:
Solely on basis of PS4 install base, it is already worthwhile even if it meant 2x the workload of PS4.0 only. (and it won't)
Even if PS4K doesn't result in net gain in sales over existing PS4 (i.e. the PS4k specific work is just a "tax" on PS4 game dev),
If a dev didn't like the overhead of developing for a distinct platform, they would drop XBone based on it's install base/sales.
XBone actually IS a distinct platform with unique architecture, unlike PS4K which just beefs up PS4 platform.

The idea that "indy devs" would be most hurt is sillier just because those are not pushing hardware boundaries to begin with,
they are the most likely to already be at 1080p to begin with... And the PS4 install base/sales is still the best market for them to target.

What on earth are you talking about?
Why does supporting a PS4K make sense if it increases work load with no increased profits? How does it make even more sense to support it over the X1 when the X1 guarantees you reach into a seprate market and the PS4K doesn't at all?

Let's just say it costs just as much to support PS4 and PS4K as PS4 and X1. Let's say a game sells 2 million units on PS4 and 1 million units on X1, and you're making a sequel for it.  So you make it PS4 exclusive and support PS4K wholly. So your development costs are exactly the same as the first game, but now your sales for the sequel are the same as it's predecessor on PS4 - 2 million units. You just spent just as much money as before and LOST a million in sales that you would have picked up if you supported the X1 instead of the PS4K.

Holy crap I really hope you don't take over a business because you'd drive it into the ground.

potato_hamster said:
mutantsushi said:

What on earth are you talking about?
Why does supporting a PS4K make sense if it increases work load with no increased profits? How does it make even more sense to support it over the X1 when the X1 guarantees you reach into a seprate market and the PS4K doesn't at all?

Let's just say it costs just as much to support PS4 and PS4K as PS4 and X1. Let's say a game sells 2 million units on PS4 and 1 million units on X1, and you're making a sequel for it.  So you make it PS4 exclusive and support PS4K wholly. So your development costs are exactly the same as the first game, but now your sales for the sequel are the same as it's predecessor on PS4 - 2 million units. You just spent just as much money as before and LOST a million in sales that you would have picked up if you supported the X1 instead of the PS4K.

Holy crap I really hope you don't take over a business because you'd drive it into the ground.

This wasn't his point, and i think that a PS4K's Version would cost less than a Last generation version of some games, like Metal Gear Solid V, Far Cry 4.

I'm 100% against the PS4K, more job for the Devs, and more money on games, i will not believe it until a Official statement, this idea of "Upgradable Hardware"  some rumors that came from Nintendo, Sony, and confusing Statements from Microsoft, is something i don't want to believe that is true.

What people are saying is that Developers will not support PS4K, because of the $ of the Development, or that some games would not came for neither normal PS4, or PS4K, as a result of this, what he is trying to say is that PS4+ PS4K is = much more return of Money than launching for any other console Combined, if Developers don't release games for PS4, as a protest  against the PS4K, the protest don't have basis, the base would be "I'm spending more money to get the same sales", and some people are saying that in response of that they will not Release games for neither version of PS4, and release just for Xbox One, but with Xbox One, the development cost is higher than a PS4+PS4K Version, and games usually selling 2 times less on Xbox One, with some selling 3-6 times less.

Again, a console need to be really poor in sales to lose support from Third Party, and a Third Party Studios (the true Third Party) , not support the PS4K, need to be really really poor, a Version that means less than they were spending with Last gen Consoles, and Only needing less than 100-200K in Sales of the Neo Version, to pay the version, if all the games are made for the Base PS4,   i don't think that a NEO's Version, would cost more than 10% of the Whole Development cost of the game, so if is something like The Witcher 3, for example, would need 5-6 Millions of US$ to pay itself, this is 100K Units in Revenue, with the profit of 200-300K Units already would be enought to pay that, Plus DLC and other things that can bring even more Profit.