By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Star Fox Zero Review Thread: MC: 69 / GR: 68.84%

Veknoid_Outcast said:

I'd argue the opposite. I think game design, and standards with it, have declined since the 4th, 5th, and 6th generations.

Not when it comes to 3D games, absolutely not. Especially when it comes to the 5th generation. That entire generation is a growing pain.

Around the Network
spemanig said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

I'd argue the opposite. I think game design, and standards with it, have declined since the 4th, 5th, and 6th generations.

Not when it comes to 3D games, absolutely not. Especially when it comes to the 5th generation. That entire generation is a growing pain.

The NES, and N64 eras were definately growing pain eras. A lot of classics from those times just don't hold up. SF64 is one of the few. 

spemanig said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

We'll have to agree to disagree. I've played or replayed "classics" from the 5th within the last few years and many of them are masterworks - ugly polygons and choppy frame rates notwithstanding. However, I see where you're coming from. I think a lot of industry folks agree with you.

spemanig said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

3D games in general? Oh Yes. But largely Rail Shooters like Star Fox? With just a bit of space combat thrown in. That's not been a well-worn genre since the 90's. You have the ocassional Sin & Punishment, the Rogue Squadron series, Kid Icarus: Uprising, and a few Wii games that used pointer controls (Resident Evil Chronicles, House of the Dead, etc).

Compared to their modern counterparts, games like Goldeneye, Soul Blade, and Age of Empires are primitive and clunky. But although SF64 doesn't blow us away any more, but the years have been far kinder to it.

Love and tolerate.

Cerebralbore101 said:

The NES, and N64 eras were definately growing pain eras. A lot of classics from those times just don't hold up. SF64 is one of the few. 

The NES definitely wasn't. Pretty much every classic from that era holds up. NES is host to a famously timeless era of games.

Around the Network
spemanig said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

The NES definitely wasn't. Pretty much every classic from that era holds up. NES is host to a famously timeless era of games.

What holds up from that era then? I'd say River City Ransom, Ninja Gaiden 1-2, Kirby, and SMB3 all hold up really well. The older Castlevanias were really put to shame by SOTN. The original Zelda doesn't tell you what to do or where to go. Metroid was made obsolete by the superior GBA remake. Final Fantasy, and Dragon Warrior don't hold up well at all. 

It dropped in Metacritic down to 71.

Also Gamerankingscore is now a 70.

The Title should be Updated, the scores went down.

User warned -RavenXtra

Funny how 70 percent is considered "bad" nowadays. Can't say anything on Star Fox, but the laughable reaction to a 7/10 just proves how flawed and broken MC really is due to perspective and how the score system in general is obsolete.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261