By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Star Fox Zero Review Thread: MC: 69 / GR: 68.84%

Not surprised. I think the problem with this game is that Nintendo is charging $60 (at least in US) for the type of gameplay it offers, well at least for me it's too expensive. $30 sounds better.

Around the Network

Didn't get 85%? #nobuy!

Didn't realise this was out so soon. Might have to grab this, play the crap out of it then sell the Wii U ready for the NX.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Skullwaker said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

That's a great point. Take Arkham City for example. I think that Arkham Asylum worked perfectly as a Metroidvania. The open world, at least for me, detracted from the experience.

In general it's disappointing that so man "AAA" titles are military shooters or open-world action games. There are so many more genres and mechanics out there.

Wow, I thought I was the only one that preferred Asylum over City. xD That was one of the main reasons too.

I think overall the industry could use some more streamlined titles without the extra fluff. Of course it's nice to sit down with a massive open world game such as Xenoblade Chronicles X or Fallout 4, but it's also nice to play something more traditional like Star Fox Zero. The industry is big enough for so many types of games to thrive, but sometimes it seems like reviewers just don't want them to.

I also prefer asylum to city for the same reason! Much more concise game the got everything pretty much spot on.

Part of that I think is being a more old school gamer though.

Hopefully a more digital future will allow games like star fox to better sit along side the open world games without being marked down for not having the same quantity of content.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

hope Nintendo is not too disappointed in Platinum about this. One good thing is that this was not in fact made by one of Nintendo's internal teams so it shouldn't really reflect poorly on them exactly.

The real question is whether or not the game genuinely is disappointing (too much of a rehash?) or if its just a matter of not having enough content for its price.

I've heard a lot of complaints about the controls which isn't exactly shocking considering the Wii U is a bit awkward with the motion control settings as well as the regular analog for a game like this .....

to be honest, you don't see a lot on rail shooters these days so its difficult to really directly compare it with many recent games

Dr.Vita said:

It was already clear that the reviews won't be good when the game was announced by Nintendo.
It won't do good sales-wise either since the competiton (Ratchet & Clank) offers a much better quality, quantity and price.

I over estimated the review score for this.  I said 77 but it's 5 points lower.  72 is not a terrible score but it's not good either.  It's just average.  Is it full priced at $60 do you know?  Should be $40 from what I can see. 

Around the Network

Spot on.

I don't understand why spoiler tags are being used for scores in a review thread.

Anyway, about where I expected it to be. Probably not going to bother with it,

Veknoid_Outcast said:
Skullwaker said:

That would be an amazing comeback for the series. But I don't think it's unrealistic. Skyward Sword was the most linear game so far and it was the lowest scoring mainline game with a 93, so I can see a fully open world game bringing the series back that glory.

But yeah, the notion that all games must be open world in order to be good now is insanely inaccurate. I feel like implementing an open world can sometimes bring a game's potential down, actually. Some games benefit from it, others don't. Reviewers need to realize that.

That's a great point. Take Arkham City for example. I think that Arkham Asylum worked perfectly as a Metroidvania. The open world, at least for me, detracted from the experience.

In general it's disappointing that so man "AAA" titles are military shooters or open-world action games. There are so many more genres and mechanics out there.

Such a great post and 100% what I'm talking about. The last Batman game I played and ejoyed was AA. AC's open world ruined the genre for me and I tried playing it like three different times just don't enjoy the game as an open world game.

Kinda predictable. Will still get it because I'm a Star Fox die hard, but Nintendo has mismanaged this franchise, in particular for whatever reason Mr. Miyamoto seemed to believe that simply making a sequel to Star Fox 64 was beneath Nintendo.

So you have an N64 game (Star Fox 64) that sold an impressive 3.32 million copies, but instead of being prioritized for GameCube, Miyamoto forces Rare to change a Zelda adventure game called Dinosaur Planet into Star Fox Adventures. Because everyone who loves Star Fox should love a Star Fox game that isn't a space shooter.

Then the IP is farmed out to Namco, since I guess again Nintendo felt they shouldn't be developing it.

Then we have Star Fox Command on the DS, which has an awkward touchscreen control scheme forced into it, even though franchises like Mario Kart and NSMB are smart enough to control traditionally.

The Wii was the perfect time to relaunch the franchise with a large userbase, but Nintendo instead squanders that opportunity by not having the franchise at all.

On Wii U, Star Fox 0 seems more of a vanity project for Miyamoto to prove the tablet controls were worthwhile by shoehorning in a dual screen control setup that no one asked for. It's probably going to bomb sales wise so we won't see the franchise again for ages. 

I'll try it on Friday, but it seems that its main criticisms are:

- The gameplay is outdated. I understand the criticism, it's similar to a 90s rail shooter game. Is it bad? It depends on who's playing it. I want a 90s rail shooter game. It's people's choice to decide if they want that or not. Not everything has to feel modern to be "good". I don't share that mindset.

- Control scheme's got a mixed reaction. Pretty much what I expected. I need to try them first to make a final opinion.

- Length. Okey, valid criticism. Not everyone will put the same amount of time in the game. I love to beat records, collect medals, find secret paths, bosses, etc. so I know I'll play it enough. But this doesn't apply to everyone.

In the end I think that reviews are telling me what I was expecting. There's nothing here which will make me change my decision to buy it. Though it's also fair to say that people who was not sure about buying it, won't be convinced. 

EDIT: Oh, and that Polygon not-review?? The guy is supposed to be a professional reviewer, what the hell is that "it's so bad that I won't play it"? First world problems I guess. What a jerk.