By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Can The Legend of Zelda: (U/NX) Sell Close to 10mil Lifetime? (or More)

JetSetter said:
bigtakilla said:

Ocarina of Time has, but it'll be the only one. I don't see TPHD selling the 350,000 more it needs to achieve this. It will be close though.

Im confused. You don't think that TPHD can sell 350k more copies? It only came out about a month ago so I feel it might be too early to jump to that conclusion. 

Maybe, I just don't see it happening. 

I mean Twilight Princess sold 58,000 first week compared to Wind Waker's 152,000. (a little under a third), then Wind Waker was bundled with Wii U's for a while boosting its sales (even before bundling Wind Waker boosted Wii U sales 31% in its opening week) while Twilight Princess dropped 91% (if I remember correctly, I could be off but needless to say dropped off a cliff), and will not be bundled with consoles.

http://wiiudaily.com/2013/10/wind-waker-hd-sales/

http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/twilight-princess-hd-sells-52000-copies-in-its-opening-week

Even games with the longest legs don't typically outsell its opening week, and typically continue on a decline as far as sales week per week (I know some weeks games may sell higher than the weeks prior, but not the norm consecutively). The only saving grace is literally if they announce some ACTUAL content locked behind the wolf Link amiibo, and then prepare for the internet to burn.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
bigtakilla said:

Ocarina of Time has, but it'll be the only one. I don't see TPHD selling the 350,000 more it needs to achieve this. It will be close though.

no it hasnt, adding in sales of 10+ year old remasters doesnt make any sense.

What remasters are 10+ years old?

bigtakilla said:
zorg1000 said:

no it hasnt, adding in sales of 10+ year old remasters doesnt make any sense.

I may have worded that wrong, remasters of 10 year old games.

Ocarina of Time-1998

Ocarina of Time 3D-2011

The Wind Waker-2002

The Wind Waker HD-2013

Majora's Mask-2000

Majora's Mask 3D-2015

Twilight Princess-2006

Twilight Princess HD-2016

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
bigtakilla said:

Ocarina of Time-1998

Ocarina of Time 3D-2011

The Wind Waker-2002

The Wind Waker HD-2013

Majora's Mask-2000

Majora's Mask 3D-2015

Twilight Princess-2006

When talking about sales of titles, why exactly aren't we able to add those then, if I may ask. If you go to game DB and type in OoT, it comes up in the total. What exactly stops it from being allowed to be in a games total?

bigtakilla said:
zorg1000 said:

Ocarina of Time-1998

Ocarina of Time 3D-2011

The Wind Waker-2002

The Wind Waker HD-2013

Majora's Mask-2000

Majora's Mask 3D-2015

Twilight Princess-2006

When talking about sales of titles, why exactly aren't we able to add those then, if I may ask. If you go to game DB and type in OoT, it comes up in the total. What exactly stops it from being allowed to be in a games total?

by that logic if i go into the game database looking for Destiny sales and simply type Destiny than a whole bunch of other games show up like Tales of Destiny, a whole bunch of Naruto & Yugioh games & Onimusha 2 because they all have the word destiny in the title. Should we include those games in the Destiny total?

The reason OoT 3D shows up is because it has OoT in the title. the remasters dont count for the type of discussion the OP is trying to have, which is how much can the game sell in its original run.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
bigtakilla said:

by that logic if i go into the game database looking for Destiny sales and simply type Destiny than a whole bunch of other games show up like Tales of Destiny, a whole bunch of Naruto & Yugioh games & Onimusha 2 because they all have the word destiny in the title. Should we include those games in the Destiny total?

The reason OoT 3D shows up is because it has OoT in the title. the remasters dont count for the type of discussion the OP is trying to have, which is how much can the game sell in its original run.

OoT are the same game, are you seriously comparing that to seperate games to get a point across? 

*edit* OP also says lifetime. Remakes would then be included.

bigtakilla said:
zorg1000 said:

OoT are the same game, are you seriously comparing that to seperate games to get a point across? 

*edit* OP also says lifetime. Remakes would then be included.

like i said, based on the logic of your previous post. Your reasoning was the game database on this site shows it when typing in OoT so based on that we should include all games that show up when typing in Destiny.

If you come to a conclusion based on a certain reason than your reasoning has to stay consistent. What im saying is, your game database example is flawed.

The OP is clearly talking about lifetime sales of Wii U & NX versions, the original platforms, so a remaster that releases in 2026 is irrelevant to the discussion.

For reference purposes-

Even Twilight Princess, released on both GameCube and Wii, did not hit 10 million unit sales.

Assuming an NX version of "Zelda U" then the Wii U version will likely sell considerably less than other first party titles already released.  

I think 10 million is out of reach. For OoT (11 million cume) you have N64+3DS. If we say Wii U = N64 in the OoT scenario then Wii U is significantly weaker then N64 and likely would be fortunate to contribute half of what N64 contributed to OoT. So that puts a big burden on the shoulders of NX. If NX is a replacement for both Wii U and 3DS then you have the handheld market that can help oout. But it's anyone's guess as to whether the handheld market has reached its new, lower level, or whether it will weaken further due to phone/tablet gaming. If NX is basically a Wii U replacement with interoperability with handheld hardware then since there will be a significant cross over between Wii U users and NX users that means NX will be relying on a lot of people who played it on Wii U to buy it again for NX. That number wont be all that high.

I think 5million+ is a good and realistic ambition. Much more than that is bonus, and requires NX to go off like Wii/DS.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Reposting for new page (assuming everyone is using the max post per page option)

For reference purposes-