By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - A VGChartz development update - Rejoice ioi is on board!

Greetings fellow gamers,

I thought a quick update would be appropriate at this time since it's been about a month since the launch of the supporter program and if you haven't read my wall or the support thread you might be under the impression that nothing much as moved.

The first addition I made after the launch was the Ignore function which has been added for all supporter tiers. After that I've started on a much bigger project: the design of a new interface for VGC/gamrConnect. 

For this task, I've been cooperating with Machina and spemanig who have provided feedback and new ideas to try and make that design efficient, fresh while maintaining all the tools we currently have right now and above all the new design will be responsive which means it'll adapt to any screen resolution meaning there will be a proper mobile version for VGC.

When the design is complete and satisfies both my partners, it's going to go to the crucial phase of getting approved by ioi. There's no guarantee that he'll be on board with a change that big but I do think he'll be able to see the huge benefits this could bring the site.

My reasoning behind doing this now is that for many of the features planned/requested I'm running into hurdles when it comes to matching the current code with the new stuff I want to implement so instead of doing work arounds now and then undoing them later I figured that since a new design basically forces me to go through every page on the site it'll allow me to tidy things up which is gonna ease the integration of new cool features.

------------------------------------------------------------------

[April 22nd Edit]

Yesterday, I submitted my work on the new design to ioi and I'm happy to report that, in his own word, "he loves it". There are still some positioning changes to be made before it's completely approved but as a whole the comments are very positive and things can move forward from there.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network

Thanks for the update and as always appreciate all the work you put into this place.

I hate to be a debbie downer, but if the horrendous ads aren't fixed, it won't matter much. I'd gladly whitelist VGC if the ads weren't the way they are now.

Heck, after I got adblock for my phone, I've been able to browse VGC without much issue at all, even on mobile. So I think that's where the problem lies. And I honestly think it would be a smart move financially to tone down the ads.

That said, I'm looking forward to see what comes out of this. Also I know you have nothing to do with the ads!

Keep up the good work, the ignore function is the best thing ever

Follow my Gaming and Graphics Business on facebook and on Twitter:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=101878997952596&ref=br_rs

https://twitter.com/KellyGGWD

Ka-pi96 said:
Good luck Trucks!

Although I've gotta say I actually like the current design (hopefully I'm not the only one ) so will there be any option to keep this one for some people?

I will say that for those who are worried about something that is completely different, there is a very, very concious effort being made to not err too far in a direction where it would be off putting to those familiar with the current design. I'd even go as far as to say that it is a priority.

Around the Network

Great stuff Truck. Thanks for all that you and Machina do for this site and this community.

There is always going to be change so hopefully it's a change that at the very least we can all get use to. I'm looking forward to a mobile version.

Are we going to get a new color scheme for the site soon? Green, black, and orange are fine colors but for a modern website the colors look tacky x.x maybe a 2 color interface instead? It sounds nitpicky but I could see it drive away people who are guests on the site. I know I leave a site if it looks like an late 90s/early 2000s page (those sites with hot pink backgrounds, dark blue comic sans text, you know what I mean XD)

Keep up the great work, Trucko!

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Thanks for the update, trucks.

I'm sure ioi will approve the new design with the promise of a better mobile functionality is there (along with new potential users) and if the ads remain mostly in the same place. Otherwise, just tell us if we need to make a sarifice in order to get his approval, I'm sure spemanig will offer himself since the new design idea came from him .

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.