By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So where does Dark Souls 3 fall?

So I finished my first run of Dark Souls 3 at 51 hours. That includes being as thorough as possible, all optional bosses, etc. I would rate it 9/10. It's very fun, and is definitely a proper send off for the series (at least for now).

In terms of the Soulsborne franchise I would rate it:

Dark Souls 1 > Demon's Souls > Dark Souls 3 = Dark Souls 2 > Bloodborne.

It struggles in level design in some areas, but it more than makes up for it in nostalgia and boss encounters. Much better than last years Bloodborne, but it is a flawed masterpiece of an experience. Loved it and can't wait for the DLC.

Around the Network

Still too early, but it's like this for me:

1 - Bloodborne
2 - Dark Souls III
3 - Dark Souls
4 - Demon's Souls
5 - Dark Souls II

I didn't care for Dark Souls II and I didn't finish Demon's Souls.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

VXIII said:
yo_john117 said:

I don't know about the chalice dungeons or less content (though judging by Versus_Evil's reply saying he's played 176 hours so far, I would say "less content" is potentially incorrect). but the setting, art style and graphics in general are breathtaking! 

Chalice dungeons in Bloodborne are randomly generated dungeons. Each time you warp to a dungeon it will be different than last time. In theory the content is infinite because of that. However, I got bored rather quickly with the dungeons, because all of them are repetitive in nature and style. Nothing like traversing the world and discovering its wonders like in both Dark Souls and Bloodbore's main quest.

OK, it seems like a pretty cool concept though that would add some replayability. 

yo_john117 said:
VXIII said:

Chalice dungeons in Bloodborne are randomly generated dungeons. Each time you warp to a dungeon it will be different than last time. In theory the content is infinite because of that. However, I got bored rather quickly with the dungeons, because all of them are repetitive in nature and style. Nothing like traversing the world and discovering its wonders like in both Dark Souls and Bloodbore's main quest.

OK, it seems like a pretty cool concept though that would add some replayability. 

Don't listen to Yo_John, that is NOT how the Chalice dungeons work.  

Yes there ARE random ones, you can make random chalice dungeons, but there's an entire 'linear' progression of pre-made ones, too.  Basically, each chalice dungeon has 2-5 pre-made 'levels', each one consisting of a maze-like level design with treasures and a switch to unlock the door to a boss.  It's like if you were playing a platformer, each chalice is a world consisting of a series of levels, each level with a boss.  It's...kind of its own thing.  

there's like 4 different types of chalice, each type has like 3-5 different chalices, each chalice has 2-5 stages, each with its own boss.  You could, in theory, completely ignore the entire main game and get lost in 50 hours of Chalice Dungeon Crawling.  No joke. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

1. Dark Souls 2
2. Bloodborne
3. Dark Souls
4. Demons Souls
5. Dark Souls 3

Around the Network

I've not played all the souls games. My first was Bloodborne and this is my second.

I found Bloodborne's difficulty curve far better as it grow with you. What I'm disliking about DS3 so far is that most the enemies are piss easy from the beginning (most of not all enemies without a shield). Similar to LotF, shielded enemies do damage and you need to be hell of a lot more patient to take them down.

The shield I'm finding useless against them as you still take damage and the parry system is way more risk than reward.

What this has resulted in for me is difficulty spikes at all stages of the game based on where this enemies are. I've only fought 2 bosses so far, but both the bosses have been super easy and I've been able to just brute force my way through them.

Compared to Bloodborne, I also dislike the loot system. Yes, there might be more weapons but everything I've come across so far is shite. Bloodborne may have had less weapons but they were all memorable and added way more depth.

There are things I like better such as:

- Estus flasks being refilled at bonfires.
- Npcs you can interact with in your hub.
- Better load times and better use of checkpoints.
- the greater depth when it comes to spells, miracles, rings etc

Maybe it's because my experience with the souls series started with Bloodborne, but I just think DS3 is so far more of an 8/10 compared to Bloodborne for me being a 10/10. The shielded enemies take the piss and for me have made the game less fun than BB.

I'm not super far into it yet, so this could change but so far for me it goes
Demon's souls = dark souls > Bloodborne > Dark Souls 3 >>> Dark Souls 2.

kowenicki said:
Hynad said:

How can you know before having played?

Other than the game not being exclusive to PlayStation...

I think you nailed it....

Not at all.  Bloodborne and Dark Souls, though cut from the same cloth, are very different games.  Similar design mentality and in-game psychology, but one focuses more on RPG elements while the other is more of a fast-paced action game. 

And, since Dark Souls III has that pesky roman numberal after its title making it the third of a trilogy, it's fair to assume one might know what they are getting into.  Maybe the person doesn't like the fantasy setting and prefers the lovecraftian victorian horror?  Maybe Bloodborne is their most awesomest favoritest game of all time and is leaps and shoulders above anything else?  

I can say "No game will ever be better, to me, than Final Fantasy VI".  Since I feel so strongly about that, it may very well be true.  I can be wrong, but I am still permitted to feel that way.  

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

Runa216 said:
yo_john117 said:

Yes there ARE random ones, you can make random chalice dungeons, but there's an entire 'linear' progression of pre-made ones, too.  Basically, each chalice dungeon has 2-5 pre-made 'levels', each one consisting of a maze-like level design with treasures and a switch to unlock the door to a boss.  It's like if you were playing a platformer, each chalice is a world consisting of a series of levels, each level with a boss.  It's...kind of its own thing.  

there's like 4 different types of chalice, each type has like 3-5 different chalices, each chalice has 2-5 stages, each with its own boss.  You could, in theory, completely ignore the entire main game and get lost in 50 hours of Chalice Dungeon Crawling.  No joke. 

Yes, don't listen to me...my only statement was that from what I heard, it seems like a pretty cool concept lol.

yo_john117 said:
Runa216 said:

Yes, don't listen to me...my only statement was that from what I heard, it seems like a pretty cool concept lol.

Sorry if I came across as aggressive, I just wanted to be clear that the chalice dungeons were not all random.  Brofist? 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX