By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Phil Spencer: We Want To Do Better With PC Releases

Few years ago, when first articles on MS making Windows store, unification of platforms and what would that mean for Steam appeared, I thought..."gee, Valve is fucked". But now, I actually think that SteamOS might just take off sooner than expected given how bad UWP is.

Around the Network
iceland said:
MS paid for a botched PC port to promote the Xbox One version. Phil is smart, real smart.

Who wants to play a game that got a 77 on metacritic anyways? disgusting

Is this a Joke?

HoloDust said:
Few years ago, when first articles on MS making Windows store, unification of platforms and what would that mean for Steam appeared, I thought..."gee, Valve is fucked". But now, I actually think that SteamOS might just take off sooner than expected given how bad UWP is.

The UWP system is pretty much borked, it uses unification as a means to make itself look bigger and better when in reality it's sacrificed any individuality and how each sector can perform without the others saying what each side can and cannot do. I'm actually hoping for Steam OS to carry on growing and for Valve to make sure that the majority of Steam's games are a part of that OS's library, I give or take at least 4 more years if not 5 till devs stop creating titles that support 7, 8 will likely follow a year after 7 is dropped and by then I would imagine Steam OS along with Vulkan having decent support.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

flint said:
iceland said:
MS paid for a botched PC port to promote the Xbox One version. Phil is smart, real smart.

Who wants to play a game that got a 77 on metacritic anyways? disgusting

77 is a perfectly good score, if it was... idk 81 you probably wouldn't be using the score like that

Sorry but 77 for a flagship AAA exclusive is just not that great. If Uncharted 4 got a score even in the low to mid 80's people would be talking about Sony's 'misstep' and 'overconfidence'.

OdinHades said:
I think at some point Microsoft will just say "screw this", take another few billions and straight out buy Valve. Then they will integrate Steam into Windows which will pretty much replace the windows store.

Oh, don't mind me, just fantasizing a little.

Lol is this a complete joke. MS has gotten turned down for acquisition deals with Nintendo and Yahoo. They literally pulled all cash and equity that they had and that still wasn't enough to buy either of them. We're talking about $50 billion offers each time. And this was when Nintendo was at their worst (after the n64 and before the DS came out). With Yahoo it was in the midst of financial turmoil and executives getting fired. But both companies flatly refused each time.

MS just doesn't have the cash or equity anymore to buyout big companies. Valve would be no different.

Around the Network

Gears of War was a FUCKING TERRIBLE PORT!!!! DX 12 and only supported dual core CPU... and the fact it was unplayable when it launched. I havent event tried to play it in weeks. I can only hope they fix that steaming pile of shit before I check it again. I dont care about quantum break but again MS cant release a damned decent port for PC...

I was really hoping developers would hop on the multi core support this gen seeing as how the PS4 and Xbox One have low single threaded performance and bring that over to PC but it seems like developers cant be bothered to make an engine that truely requires more than 4 cores but im beginning to think it will never happen.

/rant over

I mostly play RTS and Moba style games now adays as well as ALOT of benchmarking. I do play other games however such as the witcher 3 and Crysis 3, and recently Ashes of the Singularity. I love gaming on the cutting edge and refuse to accept any compromises. Proud member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Long Live SHIO!!!! 

vivster said:
Lol. Isn't that a slap in the face of everyone? They clearly don't want to make better PC ports or else they would do just that.
What he means with "better launches" is "less people complaining about a shitty port". Well if they continue to release shit on PC people might get used to it and he will get his wish.

Well it's quite obvious that quantum break was never originally going to be on PC. But the xbone failed to sell xxx units by such and such time and the pre orders probably weren't as great as MS claimed. So they pulled the trigger and we get a rushed PC port. They needed the extra sales and they didn't want people waiting for the PC version so they had to launch at the same time no matter what.

OdinHades said:
I think at some point Microsoft will just say "screw this", take another few billions and straight out buy Valve. Then they will integrate Steam into Windows which will pretty much replace the windows store.

Oh, don't mind me, just fantasizing a little.

That's just impossible. Valve are still independent and the founders still have more or less total control of assets and decisions, they're rich and furthermore; have a deep-set dislike for all things Microsoft. MS is literally the last company in the world Gabe and co would ever sell to.

And I think we should be glad, it would afford MS way too much power in the PC gaming space, they have more than enough already.

Sprash said:
vivster said:
Lol. Isn't that a slap in the face of everyone? They clearly don't want to make better PC ports or else they would do just that.
What he means with "better launches" is "less people complaining about a shitty port". Well if they continue to release shit on PC people might get used to it and he will get his wish.

Can you tell me how you go from his tweet

Phil: "We want to do a better job with PC releases, no question. We are taking the feedback and working to get better."

to

Vivster: "Well if they cantinue so peoples may use get to used to this and he may will get this his wish for shitty ports." (yeah I know grammar)

I think I explained that quite well in my post. But I'm gonna explain it to you again.

Phil's statement is a blatant lie. If they actually wanted to make better releases they'd already do that. So what he really means is that they want people to stop complaining about shitty ports (aka a better launch for them). So if they release just enough shitty ports people might get used to it and stop complaining.

elektranine said:
vivster said:

Well it's quite obvious that quantum break was never originally going to be on PC. But the xbone failed to sell xxx units by such and such time and the pre orders probably weren't as great as MS claimed. So they pulled the trigger and we get a rushed PC port. They needed the extra sales and they didn't want people waiting for the PC version so they had to launch at the same time no matter what.

Sadly there is no excuse for badly optimized games. It's always anti consumer and it's always just to benefit the releasing company.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

It's funny cause when I was a PC gamer I would always hear about this game having issues or that game but I can't think of one game I had an issue with at all. I think so many people having such different hardware causes people to have vastly different experiences.