By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - It seems that former NoA employee Alison Rapp *may* be a prostitute

wombat123 said:
Zanten said:

This is why I typically give that ridiculous movement a wide berth. =P The catchphrase is 'Ethics in Gaming Journalism' is so specific because there are virtually no fucks given about... well... ANY other ethical considerations. Ends justify the means, you're with us or against us, etc, etc. Honestly, just reading through the article and the comments feels like I exposed my eyes to an open sewer, but I wanted to at least get the sodding 'Maybe the SJWs did it!' train of thought shut down so we can at least establish which side seems to be doing what this time. -_-

I mean, let's face it, they'll find a way to blame the SJWs ANYWAY, because that's how a lot of the movement works, but not much I can do about that. Both sides are filled with children and lunatics, and unfortunately anything resembling an actual constructive dialogue was lost a very long time ago in the wake of that.

So you're saying that the games media hold zero responsibility in how all of this blew up?  That it's all the gamergate people and SJWs?  You're saying that the article that Kotaku did about Rapp in early March did nothing to get outside groups like the Wayne Foundation aware of her and start asking questions?  You're saying that the games media and their media blitz that forced Nintendo to explain why they fired Rapp didn't give 3rd party trolls (the same 3rd party trolls that love to go after people like Chris-chan) the necessary tools to find out about Rapp's personal life? 

Responsibility is primarily on the idiots who decided to dig into this girl's personal life for no good reason. 

Around the Network

Prostitution without a pimp shouldn't be considered illegal or immoral, pimps should, and marriage of convenience too.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

SuperNova said:
wombat123 said:

In this case, it was 3rd party trolls.  Kiwifarms (a website where trolls congregate to find 'lolcows' to milk) was responsible for digging and finding out about Rapp's 2nd job.  In fact, from what I've seen, these types of trolls always pay attention to what's happening around gamergate because, quite frankly, SJWs and feminists are full of 'lolcows' that these 3rd party trolls can easily milk for fun.  I mean, goddamn, look at the people who comprise the social justice side of this gamergate thing and try to tell me that they don't just paint a large target on themselves with the constant stream of stupid stuff they say and do.  Gamergate is like freaking Christmas for trolls in how many crazy social justice people it attracts to oppose them.

You want to know how they probably  got the hint of what to look for in terms of Rapp's 2nd job?  SJWs and the games media forced Nintendo to explain why they fired Rapp when they did their premature media blitz that blamed Rapp's firing on NOA caving to a 'harassment campaign', giving trolls the hint of looking for a 2nd job that was probably not kid friendly.  It's the pathological altruism of SJWs that create these situations where they do way more harm than good.

The way I understood all of this, was that someone brought her second job (whatever that may be, this is not proven yet) to Nintendos attention in the first place. The implication being that it had to do with the harrassment campaign against her.

Of course this was well before any statement was ever released, so i don't really think you can lay any blame on any SJWs for her being actually fired. That blame still seems to lay with cyberbullies. Now, if this new developement is someone just trolling, someone sleuthing after statements being released, or someone who already notified Nintendo about it trying to give her the killing blow is hard to gauge.

All I know about this harassment campaign is Rapp talking smack at people complaining about FE's localization and people talking smack back at her.  I mean, she works in PR/marketing; what the hell was she doing talking trash to people complaining about a localization when she's supposed to be representing a multi-billion dollar, child-friendly company?  If I were in her position, I would have just kept my mouth shut and went about my business.  If I had the need to talk smack, I would have done so anonymously -- not on my twitter account where I say I work for Nintendo.  The last thing I'd want to do is put a potential target on my back by saying volatile things that could get someone upset enough at me to dig into my personal life -- especially if I had skeletons in my closet.

Peh said:
Zanten said:

http://theralphretort.com/therappening-sjws-defense-alison-rapp-revelations-esort-photos-match-4010016/

This is going out of propotions. People should just stop ruining someones live, because they get offended by localizations/censoring. But I guess people killed others for less...

This is just sad.

"But the fact of the matter is, she lied to Nintendo about her sex work and then she turned around and lied to the public when she got fired. She deserves no sympathy and no quarter. Now is the time to push this story into every sector imaginable. We’re literally going all over the world with this one."

Priceless stuff right there. Alison lost her job; she has been punished already! What in the world is the point of all this!? Why is it so important that we let the entire world know about these evildoings of hers?

wombat123 said:
Zanten said:

This is why I typically give that ridiculous movement a wide berth. =P The catchphrase is 'Ethics in Gaming Journalism' is so specific because there are virtually no fucks given about... well... ANY other ethical considerations. Ends justify the means, you're with us or against us, etc, etc. Honestly, just reading through the article and the comments feels like I exposed my eyes to an open sewer, but I wanted to at least get the sodding 'Maybe the SJWs did it!' train of thought shut down so we can at least establish which side seems to be doing what this time. -_-

I mean, let's face it, they'll find a way to blame the SJWs ANYWAY, because that's how a lot of the movement works, but not much I can do about that. Both sides are filled with children and lunatics, and unfortunately anything resembling an actual constructive dialogue was lost a very long time ago in the wake of that.

So you're saying that the games media hold zero responsibility in how all of this blew up?  That it's all the gamergate people and SJWs?  You're saying that the article that Kotaku did about Rapp in early March did nothing to get outside groups like the Wayne Foundation aware of her and start asking questions?  You're saying that the games media and their media blitz that forced Nintendo to explain why they fired Rapp didn't give 3rd party trolls (the same 3rd party trolls that love to go after people like Chris-chan) the necessary tools to find out about Rapp's personal life? 

Not even slightly.

And that's the entire point.

The elements who push for certain unnecessary, even silly elements to be changed due to their own social prudishness? They're dicks. The gaming media who, in order to generate traffic and ads have no problems throwing up people's dirty laundry and just serve to fan the flames of all this nonsence, are dicks, and there are legitimate concerns about an industry who rely upon the very industry they are supposed to be monitoring for advertising dollars, review copies, etc, etc. And GamerGate, who- despite impassioned denials by certain, shall we say, '3rd party individuals'- is rife with elements that use the supposed movement as an excuse to cross any moral or ethical boundaries, and who have yet other elements that bend backwards to make excuses and enable those monstrous people, are dicks.

There is blame aplenty. There are causes aplenty, and problems to go around.

But one of those problems is when certain people go out of their way to sweep the collateral damage under the rug, to claim that any side in this whole sordid mess is somehow taking the high road. Lives destroyed, people hounded online and by phone, identities doxxed and all while '3rd Party Individuals' are cheering from the sidelines, quick to take credit when convenient, quick to disperse when held culpable.

Ethics should not end at games journalism. It should not be 'Hold journalists to a high standard, but we can do whatever we want.' Any movement that wishes to use the term 'Ethics' without being laughed out of the room needs to be even-handed and consistent, not throw the term aside when it grows inconvenient.

I mean, come on man, I linked an article full of people denouncing the 'SJWs' trying to support Allison, while you're here going on about how the 'SJWs' are against her. This is how incredibly messy, how unbelievably twisted things have gotten, where literally everything wrong with anything GamerGate is involved with must be the fault of someone, anyone other than GamerGate, probably SJWs.

Zanten, Doer Of The Things

Unless He Forgets In Which Case Zanten, Forgetter Of The Things

Or He Procrascinates, In Which Case Zanten, Doer Of The Things Later

Or It Involves Moving Furniture, in Which Case Zanten, F*** You.

Around the Network
wombat123 said:
SuperNova said:

The way I understood all of this, was that someone brought her second job (whatever that may be, this is not proven yet) to Nintendos attention in the first place. The implication being that it had to do with the harrassment campaign against her.

Of course this was well before any statement was ever released, so i don't really think you can lay any blame on any SJWs for her being actually fired. That blame still seems to lay with cyberbullies. Now, if this new developement is someone just trolling, someone sleuthing after statements being released, or someone who already notified Nintendo about it trying to give her the killing blow is hard to gauge.

All I know about this harassment campaign is Rapp talking smack at people complaining about FE's localization and people talking smack back at her.  I mean, she works in PR/marketing; what the hell was she doing talking trash to people complaining about a localization when she's supposed to be representing a multi-billion dollar, child-friendly company?  If I were in her position, I would have just kept my mouth shut and went about my business.  If I had the need to talk smack, I would have done so anonymously -- not on my twitter account where I say I work for Nintendo.  The last thing I'd want to do is put a potential target on my back by saying volatile things that could get someone upset enough at me to dig into my personal life -- especially if I had skeletons in my closet.

Probably, kind of like the Charlie Hebdo cartoonists probably should've kept their mouth shut too. 

But that raises a pretty disturbing scenario here ... that certain group of "idiot gamers" (lets call them that for convienance sake) feel so upset by some tweets that they decide to dig into every aspect of this person's personal life in an attempt to get her fired/publicly shamed. 

Maybe some people need to grow the fuck up. Video games isn't a religion and even if it was, there's no reason to launch a crusade against someone in this manner. 

They're basically the ISIS of gaming and it's not just in these situations I'm seeing this, recently Jimmy Kimmel did a skit making fun of some gamers and he received death threats for it, tons of them. 

Could be anyone, those are hardly comparable

Also apparently Neogaf is deleting any threads about the subject now that the truth has come out, despite leaving the other ones opened when people blamed Nintendo in them. I guess now that Nintendo can't be blamed and it no longer fits their view they just hope nobody notices if they ignore it now.

No wonder that site is laughed at and gets shit on by so many people.

I'm really eager to see what EG will say about this, if any - cause in their original covering of Rapp story they played their usual SJW fiddle, even going as far as making "guidelines" to mods to delete all posts questioning Rapp's wrongdoings, which provoked massive backlash in comments for trying to shut down any kind of discussion.

But, again, who am I kidding, they have zero integrity and ethics, they are just as click-bait oriented as Polygon and Kotaku.

FloatingWaffles said:
Also apparently Neogaf is deleting any threads about the subject now that the truth has come out, despite leaving the other ones opened when people blamed Nintendo in them. I guess now that Nintendo can't be blamed and it no longer fits their view they just hope nobody notices if they ignore it now.

No wonder that site is laughed at and gets shit on by so many people.

To be honest I don't think this should be news in the sense that this really has nothing to do with gaming. 

From the sounds of it this girl was totally the type that was all cool with sexualized gaming anyway which is the fucking irony ... these doofuses decided to get pissed off at someone who probably agreed with them 9/10 times and had nothing to do with what they were originally angry about anyway.