By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Does the Wii U qualify as a mid gen upgrade? or the DS/3ds iterations? Why the blow back on PS4/k?

The tech and gaming world needs...

To stick to 6-8 year cycles. 15 51.72%

4-5 year cycles, it is time. 10 34.48%

6-8 year cycles but cut i... 1 3.45%

No! If I can afford just ... 3 10.34%

Total:29
John2290 said:

The Wii U to me seems as more of a mid gen upgrade since you are more than encouraged to use Wii accessories and at a disadvantage if you don't. The Nintendo handhelds are also more akin to the mobile market in terms of new iterations (example 3ds...xl...3d2...xl....and so on.) And now that we have this "mid gen .5 upgrade" concept in the collective consciousness was the ps4 or Xbox one really true full gen upgrades, it seems to me that they were rushed to market and are actually the .5 consoles. So why the blow back to another gen? Nobody said cycles were supposed to be 6-8 years. The tech world is moving too fast for this outdated model and we should be ready for 4-5 year cycles. Why all the shit thrown at the idea?

I don't know, I've never used anything Wii-related :P

Around the Network

Quite honestly i like longer cycles. The reason why is because this is a games industry, and i want software developers to worry more about making fun and interesting games rather than be in a rush to use the most cutting edge technology.
I dislike that the market is so concerned about tech and some consumers want to quickly move on to the next thing. Seriously... thats not what this industry is about. I want them to stop with the tech race for a bit and focus on making good games. The existing technology permit's every dream to be turned into reality. There is no need to rush to the next thing.

The more powerful systems are ahead of the curve, the more expensive they will be, the more risky investments will be and the smaller the market penetration. Its a highway to disaster. A race to see who explodes first. 

And then we are left with "people don't want consoles anymore we are going mobile derp".

John2290 said:

And now that we have this "mid gen .5 upgrade" concept in the collective consciousness

You mispelled collective insanity.

John2290 said:

was the ps4 or Xbox one really true full gen upgrades, it seems to me that they were rushed to market 

Full gen upgrades to... their predecessors?... PS3 and 360...which used completely different architectures and had a generation of 10+ years...rushed to market?

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Generations needs to be longer.Back in the older generations, making games took around 1 year or less.Nowadays, it takes years.If generations were to last only 4/5 years, a small company would be able to do only 1 or 2 games tops for each generation.Its just not enough time.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

To answer your header:
Does the Wii U qualify as a mid gen upgrade?
-No, it' a gen upgrade to the Wii.

or the DS/3ds iterations?
-Handheld business is more accomodated to these revisions and Nintendo so far hasn't supported the upgraded versions much. DSi had that Eshop predecessor, the New 3DS has XBC and SNES emulation, but the main games still come out for the older more wide spread iterations.

Why the blow back on PS4/k?
-Because Sony fans don't know what to expect from a home console upgrade that has more power, not just the change to the console design. Will PS4 owners have to look with envy at PS4.5 owners, because they are getting games the PS4 isn't? Is the PS4 obsolete? No one knows yet -> freak out!

Platforms: Wii U, New 3DS, PS4, PC

currently playing: 
 -Yoshi's Wooly World 
 -Pokemon X
 -Fire Emblem Fates 

Zone: Europe (Germany)

Around the Network

DS -> DSi and 3DS -> n3DS is a mid gen upgrade

but DS -> 3DS is not

likewise Wii -> Wii U is not a mid gen upgrade :/

The generations should be a bit longer but, console power is lacking and gets 'outdated' really fast..

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

It would've been a mid-gen upgrade had it come out in, say, 2009 or 10 instead of at the beginning of the next generation.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Lol. What is this thread? The Wii U was a whole new console and no Mid-Gen iteration.
The DSi and New 3DS were Mid-Gen iterations.

No. It means the concept of gaming console generations is fading out as a more iterative and backwards compatible future lies ahead of us. (think mobile space)

Nem said:

Quite honestly i like longer cycles. The reason why is because this is a games industry, and i want software developers to worry more about making fun and interesting games rather than be in a rush to use the most cutting edge technology.
I dislike that the market is so concerned about tech and some consumers want to quickly move on to the next thing. Seriously... thats not what this industry is about. I want them to stop with the tech race for a bit and focus on making good games. The existing technology permit's every dream to be turned into reality. There is no need to rush to the next thing.

The more powerful systems are ahead of the curve, the more expensive they will be, the more risky investments will be and the smaller the market penetration. Its a highway to disaster. A race to see who explodes first. 

And then we are left with "people don't want consoles anymore we are going mobile derp".

Agree 100%

Thumbs Up

Added to favorites