By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - If Uncharted 4 fails, should Sony shutter 90% of their 1st party?

Mr Puggsly said:
celador said:

Sales are modest, but then I imagine the yearly cost of development is too. Once you have the foundations of a yearly sports franchise down, then you can see a decent profit each year without much effort, especially when you have no competetion.

But its a game developed for three platforms, has a marketing pushing, licensing fees, etc.

I presume 2K stopped making baseball games because sales expectations were too low. I mean NBA 2K15 on PS3 alone sold at par with The Show 15 on PS3 and PS4 combined. Hence, continuing that series could just be fan service.

Probably it is fan service. It is hard to believe that the game makes any profit. Maybe if they are really good they can break even.

OT: no. And I also have a feeling that the thread is a thinly vailed jab at a certain competitor...

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network
freebs2 said:

Yes, I agree. They would never close down a key studio like Naughty Dog or Poliphony.

Of course I don't think the Xbox is irrilevant, but it's just not a great threat for Sony like in the past.

The biggest threat to Sony in the past has been Sony. They allowed Xbox to thrive due to bad decisions.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
Bryank75 said:

Bloodborne and Until Dawn are not 1st party games, sorry to be the one that told you.... :/

But this is why I argue there is less reliance on 1st party studios these days. Great exclusives can come from 3rd parties.

Yes, that is precisely my point! 

Where do MS exclusives come from mostly? QB? Sunset Overdrive? Gears for years was made by Epic.... 

Scalebound? 

At launch.... Dead Rising, Ryse.

Why can't Sony just have about 2 studios? They must spend well over a billion dollars a year on maintaining the studios alone.

Why not wait till a game is almost completed by Platinum or Square and then get a demo of it and decide to buy the exclusive rights.... way less risk! Much like how Xbox got Tomb Raider.....

Bryank75 said:
DakonBlackblade said:

Second Son didn't get any hammering, it has over 80 metacritcs, Drive Club has OK critics as well the problem there was the studio itself wich just failled delivering the game they promissed liek 10 times. Lets also conviniently leave Bloodborne and Until Dawn out your list because they dont serve you insane agenda.

Bloodborne and Until Dawn are not 1st party games, sorry to be the one that told you.... :/

Both those games were fully funded from the ground up by Sony (wich is the owner of the IPs), so whats the difference ? In fact Bloodborne is a first party game at least partialy since Studio Japan worked directly in its production. Sony has been doing it for ages. Insomniac was a Secon Party studio for Sony for like a decade, now they do Xbox stuf as well but they are partenering with Sony once more for the Ratchet and Clank remake. The Order was second party, Sony never owned the studio that made that game. Sony Snata Monica works with a bazilion other studios producing smaler exclusives for the Playstation. Quantic Dream was and still is a Sony Second Party. Nothing has changed and nothing is changing either. And Uncharted 4 will be a sucess even if the critics aren't great (but we all kinda expect the critics reception for this game to be at least good).

Mr Puggsly said:
freebs2 said:

Yes, I agree. They would never close down a key studio like Naughty Dog or Poliphony.

Of course I don't think the Xbox is irrilevant, but it's just not a great threat for Sony like in the past.

The biggest threat to Sony in the past has been Sony. They allowed Xbox to thrive due to bad decisions.

I can agree with that too. Though probably without MS their own errors wouldn't have hurt them as much.

Around the Network

Ya don't have to get 90% for the game to be good. So, no.

Please tell me you're not being serious...

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

DakonBlackblade said:
Bryank75 said:

Both those games were fully funded from the ground up by Sony (wich is the owner of the IPs), so whats the difference ? In fact Bloodborne is a first party game at least partialy since Studio Japan worked directly in its production.

Yes, I love the way Sony WWS do business. They are very fair and supportive generally....

I'm kinda coming at this from a ruthless business perspective. If they wanted to just cut costs and get results.

Bryank75 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

But this is why I argue there is less reliance on 1st party studios these days. Great exclusives can come from 3rd parties.

Yes, that is precisely my point! 

Why can't Sony just have about 2 studios? They must spend well over a billion dollars a year on maintaining the studios alone.

I'm not complaining about the reliance on 3rd party studios. They have also worked with more than two since PS4 launched, even more for remasters.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)