By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Star Wars 7.. What du you think now.?

It's a very expensive Fan-Fiction film.

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network

I put it at number 3. I think it is a better movie than ANH from an acting, dialogue and obviously technical sense. But ANH is above it because it was original. It was the original.

The only people I know who did not like it are actually the most hardcore star wars fans(my boss, one of my cousins, and another guy I work with). They wanted more story and exotic locations to fill their universe. They wanted stuff like long wordy dialogue (I would have like some more exposition too). They also had a preset idea of how the galaxy should look.

Now online I see people who just don't like it because they dont care for sci-fantasy popcorn flicks. I only talked to one person I know who fell into this category.

The people who seemed to like it the most were the "casual" Star Wars fans, non-fans (my wife loved it and she never cared for SW before, she saw it 3 times in the theater), and new fans (kids loved it).

Also the hype thing. That is illogical. Hype does not make people like a movie more, if anything it polarizes them. If something is really good, but it does not meet their expectations people tend to over react to the lack of perfection. Destiny is a perfect example of this in the gaming world. Hype did not make people like the movie. Hype allowed the movie to smash the opening weekend record during the busiest shopping time of the year. Hype did not make it earn 680 million more after the opening weekend. Positive word of mouth did. 

edit- oh ya and it is still top 10 at the box office right now.  Oscar champ Relevant which released over a month after TFA is out of the top 15. 

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

Pretty disappointing.
I just dont see the point of having this movie.
liked the prequels better.

One thing to note on Rey. While in this movie it may seem out of place or even a plot hole that she was OP. However, this is a perfect example of an area that if the subsequent movies answer this question in a satisfactory way that it could greatly enrich its meaning in this movie.

A good example of this happening in the saga already is Obi-Wan versus Vader in ANH. By itself its a lame fight between an old man and a guy in a menacing suit, when ANH originally was released it was basically a way to make the bad guy more bad and to give our hero a sense of loss, and a reason to finally see lightsabers in action. But in the context of the entire Saga it is a huge moment.

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

mountaindewslave said:

objectively speaking its a fairly good film- I don't think anyone can give solid arguments that it doesn't have good effects, fairly good acting, solid casting, fairly good pacing.

the biggest complaints about the film are that it is a mimic of A New Hope. and while I do agree that it was a bit overkill in that regard, it doesn't magically make it a bad film

I liked it when I saw it and I still like it. It doesn't really stand up next to Star Wars IV and Empire but its still probably the next film by a longshot (sorry Jedi, as much as I like the Endor battle the ewoks and unveiling of Darth Vader were just not good)

That's the issue, objectively its NOT a good movie. Analyze it with a critical mind and you will find several fatal flaws many of which have already been discussed in great detail. 

I'll mention my personal favorite: The security of the deathplanet is just laughably absurd. A captain can turn off the entire defensive shield from a console at some random part of the station just like that? What a joke.

Having a big budget does not make for an objectively good movie. It just makes it pretentious. 

Around the Network
tokilamockingbrd said:
One thing to note on Rey. While in this movie it may seem out of place or even a plot hole that she was OP. However, this is a perfect example of an area that if the subsequent movies answer this question in a satisfactory way that it could greatly enrich its meaning in this movie.

A good example of this happening in the saga already is Obi-Wan versus Vader in ANH. By itself its a lame fight between an old man and a guy in a menacing suit, when ANH originally was released it was basically a way to make the bad guy more bad and to give our hero a sense of loss, and a reason to finally see lightsabers in action. But in the context of the entire Saga it is a huge moment.

Having future movies potentially (and that's a big if) address issues and plot holes does not excuse this movie from being lazily executed. 

JWeinCom said:

The galaxy wasn't under the dark force control.  The First Order is basically a terrorist organization.  

Think about what happens in the real world when you take out a dictator like Sadaam Hussein.  Things don't just magically become fixed.  Other organizations try to fill the power vacuum.  That's what the new order is.  It's never stated or even implied that they control the galaxy.  They were operating beneath the radar while they built their weapon, then once they had it, they began more overt aggresion.

As for Rey being stronger than Kylo... she's really not.  We see her out-Jedi him twice.  The first time is when he was trying to read her mind.  She doesn't win the mental power because she's a better jedi, she wins it because Kylo is insecure and conflicted.  

The second time is when they get all lightsabery.  Two things to keep in mind here.  First off, Kylo just killed his dad.  He's going through some shit, and he's an emotional dude.  He's probably not emotionally 100%.  He's not physically 100% either.  The movie makes a point of establishing that Chewbacca's bowcaster fucks shit up.  It is basically a grenade launcher that directly hit Kylo, at a moment when he was especially vulnerable.  Then, Finn wore him down a bit.

Rey wasn't a match for Kylo, and she would have been murdered in a straight up fight.  That's why the deck had to be stacked.

I'm actually not a huge fan of the movie.  I saw it, I enjoyed it, but I have no desire to see it again.  That being said, people keep claiming there are plotholes and I'm just not seeing them.

I love Star wars so I tryed hard to think that way about first order.. Just think they are to big and to "known" for my tast.. whitout more info as to how they became such a big "force" (but you do have a point)

And i'm also one of thoose that think Rey was to "strong" Not only defeting Kylo.. Manipulate a stormtropper.. Fly Millennium Falcon almost as good as Han, first time she flies it.. (imo) all theeese things would make sense in the next movie.. I would have like if she was more at the level of Luke in new hope in this.

(do you wanna have a plothole.. :) Its mayby not a plothole that Kylo has Superior than Vader.. mindreading/interrogation skills.. that could somehow be explained by Snoke has tought him that.. BUT in the movie First order gets the locations of the The Resistance by tracking a space ship.. why would Kylo not just get Poe to tell it, when he "forced" him)

ironmanDX said:
You like the prequels. I just can't and won't take you seriously! I enjoyed them too in my youth. Less so now but.... Pod racing, right? Battle of fates!

I like them yes.. First movie  obi wan and Qui-Gon was perfect jedis (imo) and I also liked the way Palpertin manipulate everyone

In AOTC.. I like the fact that Anarkin was bigger (didnt like kid Anarkin that much) But the fare more "YES" for me was the Jango/Boba Fett story.. (I can see in theese repleys that many didnt like that one) but for me its in top 3 af the 7 movies.

ROTS.. Was also very good (imo) specially the "this is how Anarkin is turned evil".. and Palpertines masterplan to do so

TFA was the long-awaited apology for the prequels. It redeemed the franchise and laid the groundwork for a promising future in the SWU. It was what the fans needed, and what we deserved. Still say the film is almost perfect.

While there was a lot of fan service in the prequels and waaayyyy too much of it, and while I found that there was way too much special effects and not enough humanity, at least the prequels were trying to tell their own story in a coherent Star wars world (force, JEDI, empire, clones etc.).

At least the acting is solid in the 7th Star wars, but that's the only good thing for this movie. Even the special effects weren't that good and not very immersive.

But, yes, it's definitely an enjoyable movie. Like all recent movies targeted to western teens.

Fun movie. But too similar to the first one.

I LOVE ICELAND!