By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - So looks now is a right time for build a PC

MortienGerrux said:
Bandorr said:

Based on what?

Steam has around 180-200 million *ACTIVE* users at this moment.

Here is how fast it went, these are official announcement by Valve.

30-10-2013: 65 million

15-01-2014: 75 million

23-09-2014: 100 million

BONUS: 12-09-2014: "There are 711 million PC gamers in the world today" says Intel 

24-02-2015: 125 million

So in 5 months 25 new million users which means 5 million per month, that's how "death" PC Gaming is.

Now let's take a look at consoles since 2009 (VGChartz --> Tools --> Hardware Year on Year --> 2009 to 2016 

And because pc has now more user than a few months and years ago it makes it more attractive? That's interesting. Have to agree with that a game that sold one million copies is more interesting than the same game when it sold 100k copies.

Around the Network

Well you'll be upgrading your pc more often than your console. Its addictive, and expensive.

Sprash said:
MortienGerrux said:

BONUS: 12-09-2014: "There are 711 million PC gamers in the world today" says Intel 

So in 5 months 25 new million users which means 5 million per month, that's how "death" PC Gaming is.

Now let's take a look at consoles since 2009 (VGChartz --> Tools --> Hardware Year on Year --> 2009 to 2016 

And because pc has now more user than a few months and years ago it makes it more attractive? That's interesting. Have to agree with that a game that sold one million copies is more interesting than the same game when it sold 100k copies.

lololol thats good.

MortienGerrux said:
Bandorr said:

Based on what?

Is there a source? you posted the source for the 125 million but not for the 180-200 million active user?

playstation is also interesting with more than 110 million user, accounts (2013)

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2013/07/03/psn-passes-110-million-accounts-sony-pictures-developing-exclusive-original-tv-style-programming-for-psn-timed-exclusives/

It's always the right time. If significantly more powerful GPUs are released in 6 months, so what? One can always sell their current GPU and buy a new one.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Around the Network

The right time to build a PC was when both of the "HD twins" required an annual fee to play online, and when the concept of BC has turned to an expensive feature.

And it's only getting better for PC gamers with MS making games on Windows 10 a priority, and SONY's willingness to share lots of the PS4 games with PC, and even PSVR.

chidori-chan2 said:

With  all  rumours  of  ''PS4  K ''  well then pc gaming is more enticing than ever before.

toughts?

No, you should wait half a year. Then there will be better hardware available.

m0ney said:
It's always the right time. If significantly more powerful GPUs are released in 6 months, so what? One can always sell their current GPU and buy a new one.

If you pay 300$ for a GPU now... 3-4 months from now you can sell it for 100$, and again spend 300$.

To some people that seems like a waste of money.

If you lose 200$ or more on your gpu in that short a time, people will advise you not to do it instead.

HoloDust said:
Mummelmann said:

Agree 100% with this, cards with HBM in the 6-12GB region will likely be in this pool of new GPU's as well. Right now is a properly bad time to build a PC, in a few months you can either get killer, top of the line tech with brand new architecture, or you can get past top of the line tech for a much lower price than right now.

Yeah, I'll just repeat your sentence, so those who don't understand might try to understand:

In a few months you can either get killer, top of the line tech with brand new architecture, or you can get past top of the line tech for a much lower price than right now.

As someone who's been building PCs since '95...folks, you never go for a new PC build when brand new tech is just about to be launched for the above reasons.

More tips would be to not buy new hardware when it launches, because the stores always charge a premium, or at Christmas, because that's when a lot of people upgrade (why not gifting myself with a new GPU? or CPU? or new PC?) and prices can go up.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JRPGfan said:
m0ney said:

If you pay 300$ for a GPU now... 3-4 months from now you can sell it for 100$, and again spend 300$.

To some people that seems like a waste of money.

If you lose 200$ or more on your gpu in that short a time, people will advise you not to do it instead.

First you are exagerating it and second most people don't buy high-end cards for 300 usd but mid-tier ones for 150-200 usd.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.