By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Would Nintendo survive if they went 3rd party?

Would Nintendo survive if they went third-party?

No 91 27.66%

Yes 238 72.34%

Total:329

What other way do they have to survive?

Around the Network

Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo don't make a profit on the hardware.
They make a profit on services (PS+/Xbox Live) and selling games.

It depends on the reason: is Nintendo going 3rd party because they failed to make it as a console manufacturer (ie. SEGA) or because they see an opportunity to grow their business (ie. Nintendo's mobile strategy)? If Nintendo does it because of failure, they may survive but I doubt that they would maintain the same quality standards that they have now. It's like somebody who has been demoted in their job: such a person will likely never be a star performer again at their company. Nintendo is a very proud company and if they ever went 3rd Party because they failed to succeed on their own it would change the company similar to what happened to SEGA after they failed.

I cheered SEGA going 3rd Party 15 years ago because I wanted to play Sonic on the GCN. Looking back, though, it was a horrible mistake to wish this on SEGA because they are now just a husk of what they once were and there is no longer any pride or honor left at that company. I never want to see Nintendo go 3rd Party in the manner that SEGA did: if Nintendo ever chooses to go 3rd Party then I want them to do it because they see an opportunity and not because they have failed to make it on their own.

Ruler said:
zorg1000 said:

For one, arcade is 100% irrelevant to the discussion, so im just going to ignore that part.

Barely any of those games listed are huge, how much did the best selling entry of those games sell? Ill give you Pro Evo, that was pretty big back in the PS2 era, but the rest? 1-2 million sales is not huge.

Im talking about games like Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Mario platformers, etc. Games that sell 5+ million every time and have sold 10+ million. Even spinoffs of these games sell in the millions.

And people are forced to buy Nintendo games? Possibly worst argument ever, people buy Nintendo consoles to play Nintendo games, not the other way around. 

They buy it for the next zelda and are stuck with a 300$ console waiting for it to come out so they end up buying other nintendo games in the meantime. Thats how it always worked, and it worked pretty well for nintendo.

You lost your argument when you dismissed arcades 

$44 billion (worldwide)

$26 billion (worldwide arcade market)[118]

$18 billion (worldwide retail market)[119]

$64.39 billion (worldwide)

$29.32 billion (worldwide)

$15 billion (worldwide retail) [28]

$9.52 billion (Japan arcade)[120]

$4.8 billion (US arcade)[104]

$44.17 billion (worldwide)

$29.3 billion (worldwide)

$20.8 billion (worldwide retail sales)[121]

$8.5 billion (US arcade & rentals)[104]

$45.4 billion (worldwide)

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Video_game_industry

Arcades have nothing to do with the discussion, hence they are irrelevent, having popular arcade games does not translate to having popular console games.

Atari, Sega, SNK, etc never had games come close to the popularity of Nintendo games back when they made hardware.

Ur first paragraph is proven wrong by the fact that Zelda isnt even the most popular Nintendo franchise so it makes no sense to say people buy Nintendo hardware specifically for that game and just happen to buy other Nintendo games. Also who is dumb enough to buy a $300 console for one specific game that isnt even out?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Ka-pi96 said:
Kai_Mao said:

Plus hardware gives Nintendo a chance to experiment on gameplay experiences. If they were to just have a traditional control, it would be great, but Nintendo's imaginations would be somewhat limited. Games like Wii Sports, Brain Age, Nintendogs, Skyward Sword, Star Fox Guard, Nintendo Land, WarioWare Touched, etc. wouldn't be what they are (or even exist at all) if Nintendo didn't have the freedom to expand our way of playing games beyond traditional controls (though I still like traditional controls along with experiments). Sure not every experiment works but that's part of Nintendo's philosophy, create new experiences and new ways to play. 

I really don't get this argument. It's not as if going 3rd party would prevent Nintendo from making their own unique controllers. There are plenty of 3rd party controllers available for PS/Xbox some traditional and some not so much. And hey, even if for what ever reason they couldn't do their own controllers on console they could quite easily switch to PC and make them for that instead.

Ya they can make unique controllers for other devices but will people buy them in large numbers? On Nintendo hardware u have to buy Nintendo controllers (or crappy 3rd party versions, which most people dont buy) so Nintendo is making money by selling millions  & millions of controllers every generation.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

If Nintendo can survive being a toy company, I think they can survive being 3rd party as well.

they can dominate both the mobile and console industries and make billions (like king with candy crash and EA with FIFA , imagine now what nintendo can do with zelda , mario , pokemon , ...)

Sure. Sega made it, didn't they? But does that mean they will be as good as they are now? No, not at all.

Not only will survive, it will spread fear among a big chunk of thrid parties as it will eat a great part of the market. But that's not the concerning point.

Nintendo currently is "lazy" and disorganized. They are not doing their best effort having a hard time with hardware. Imagine how bad will this situation will turn if they don't have to care in selling hardware anymore.

We'll see a lot less games and with less effort...

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Ck1x said:
HomokHarcos said:
I think the decline in quality would go down, as currently Nintendo have to work really hard on their IPs to make sure their console does well- it depends on it.

I highly agree with your statement and I don't think many people acknowledge that first and foremost video games are a form of art that comes together for our entertainment. Now I know that some of Nintendo's ideas have not panned out to be hot on the money or popular in first opinion, but this is where they draw their inspiration from to design games.

They don't develop their games like Sony and Microsoft do, if most people here have ever watched a Nintendo developer diary. These guys will play around with unique control ideas and mechanics first without even thinking about which franchise suits it. Remember that old Mario 128 software demo and how eventually that game became Pikmin.

That's the type of thing that would be lost if Nintendo would go 3rd party. Because, they would have to do restucturing. And would have to have games out at certain times. The console maker could order them dates. Or Nintendo would need them for investors. This type of freedom couldn't be really afforded.