By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nikkei: Nintendo ceasing Wii U production at the end of the year

spemanig said:
Soundwave said:

I'd disagree that parents choose console, most parents will try to convince their child to buy the cheapest option naturally because they don't want to spend anymore than they have to but they don't want to deal with a crying kid all the way home. 

The problem is even the "kids" market is a broad cross. If I have two boys, one is 13 and the other is 8 and the 8 year old is fine with Nintendo, but my 13 year is screaming in my ear that he doesn't want the Nintendo and only wants Playstation (because really he wants to play Grand Theft Auto because that's the game all his friends have, but he won't tell his parents *that* part), well then as a parent Playstation is the compromise because Playstation still has "kiddie games" like LEGO Harry Potter or whatever. 

Every time my parents bought a console for me, I made damn well sure they got the console I wanted. They sure as hell were not going to bring home a Sega Master System when I asked 100000 times for a Nintendo Entertainment System. 

Parent's don't try and convince their kids of anything. They just by their kids what they want because kids don't know anything and will like what they get.

Maybe 5-9 year olds. By the time they're 10+ kids know damn well exactly what they want. This is also around the age where Nintendo starts to lose kids because young boys especially around that age become obsessed with being "cool" and not being seen as a "little baby" and all that kicks in. 

It's all about getting "Calladooty mom! I gotta have the new Calladoooooty! You promised!" instead of Mario, lol. 

Even when I was 5 or 6 though if my mom bought me a Go-Bot instead of a Transformer .... holy shit, the meltdown in my house would be epic, lol. Most parents don't want the headache. Kids know what they want. 

Around the Network
KLXVER said:

People hated 3D World when they first saw it because it looked just like 3D Land. People hated Tropical Freeze when they first saw it because it looked just like Returns(and they were mad that Retro wasnt making a Metroid).

I just think you`ll change your mind.

I'm not people, certainly not those people with their backwards butthurt logic. 3D Land and Returns were amazing games, that's how I knew the second they were revealed that 3D World and Tropical Freeze would also be awesome as their reveal trailers confirmed they'd be using the same proven concepts from their predecessors and building onto it. That's also why I know how Color Splash will turn out as it too is using the same core framework as it's predecessor, a framework that is freaking terrible.

The only way I'll change my mind is if they completely overhaul the game which obviously wont happen if they were stupid enough to make it like this to begin with.

KLXVER said:

So its Nintendos fault for not getting them? How hard could it be to port a 360 game to the WiiU?

The Witcher 3, The Division, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Project CARS, Hitman, Call of Duty BOII arent "360 games". And lets not forget that "360 games" struggled on the Wii U as well. This is the only gen where I have seen last gen games perform worse on current gane hardware, its a joke. Nintendo put 0 effort into accomodating outsiders, 0.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

spemanig said:
Miyamotoo said:

MK8 released in May 2014, I am pretty sure Nintendo can prepare MK9 for end of 2017, 3.5 years after last one.

I'm not saying they can't. I'm saying they won't. It's too soon. For a lot of people, it'll be the second MK in 3 years. They can easily push it back and release something else instead. They can release Diddy Kong Racing Returns in May of next year, and not release another Mario Kart until the year after, or the year after that.

Same with Smash. The Smash that launches with NX could very well be the last Smash. Like ever. There's no need for another one. It's too complete. Smash 4 will be the NX Smash and Mario Kart 8 will be relevant on NX for years thanks to BC and the eshop giving it as much visability as they want. Smash may not get another entry ever again, being succeeded by Pokken and the eventual Nintendo vs. Capcom please don't debate this let me have this, and Mario Kart can be held over by a Diddy Kong Racing Returns until the last of that comes out and Nintendo turns it into an open platform to which new tracks and characters can be added indefinitely.

No way a new Mario Kart is coming next year, though. Too soon.

How is it too soon for a Mario Kart? It literally releases every 3 years.

DS-2005, Wii-2008, 3DS-2011, Wii U-2014, NX-2017

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

No more Wii U consoles but the game pad is being sold standalone in Japan?...

NX is a virtual console confirmed.

Around the Network
SubiyaCryolite said:
KLXVER said:

So its Nintendos fault for not getting them? How hard could it be to port a 360 game to the WiiU?

The Witcher 3, The Division, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Project CARS, Hitman, Call of Duty BOII arent "360 games". And lets not forget that "360 games" struggled on the Wii U as well. This is the only gen where I have seen last gen games perform worse on current gane hardware, its a joke. Nintendo put 0 effort into accomodating outsiders, 0.

Thats the thing though. You blame the hardware for games performing worse. I blame lazy ports from publishers. The WiiU can run any 360 and PS3 game.

Einsam_Delphin said:
KLXVER said:

People hated 3D World when they first saw it because it looked just like 3D Land. People hated Tropical Freeze when they first saw it because it looked just like Returns(and they were mad that Retro wasnt making a Metroid).

I just think you`ll change your mind.

I'm not people, certainly not those people with their backwards butthurt logic. 3D Land and Returns were amazing games, that's how I knew the second they were revealed that 3D World and Tropical Freeze would also be awesome as their reveal trailers confirmed they'd be using the same proven concepts from their predecessors and building onto it. That's also why I know how Color Splash will turn out as it too is using the same core framework as it's predecessor, a framework that is freaking terrible.

The only way I'll change my mind is if they completely overhaul the game which obviously wont happen if they were stupid enough to make it like this to begin with.

Well I apologize then...and welcome to planet earth

zorg1000 said:

How is it too soon for a Mario Kart? 

Because he says it is, and you can't argue with that!

KLXVER said:

I'm a person, not a group of them, though I do wish was something else, namely a dolphin.

Einsam_Delphin said:
KLXVER said:

I'm a person, not a group of them, though I do wish was something else, namely a dolphin.

Dolphins cant play video games though.