By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - South Korea's taken some absurdly aggressive actions against gaming

Ultrashroomz said:

This sounds pretty ridiculous.

The part anout PC rooms also shocks me a little, considering how they're all over the place.

Starcraft I-2 used to be like a national sport to them, though the esports scene for that game has basically played out over 5 years now.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network

Am i the only one who agrees with South Korea goverment here? because gaming addiction their is sick. They sit literally for hours and hours, and THATS what its hurting their economy, millions of students who could be buisness people, workers or anything are just playing games and hopefully being the best out there. This isnt sustainable, I myself play LOTS of hours each day, but i know how it can hurt my health, and my career and school and so on. Find a balance.

97alexk said:

Am i the only one who agrees with South Korea goverment here? because gaming addiction their is sick. They sit literally for hours and hours, and THATS what its hurting their economy, millions of students who could be buisness people, workers or anything are just playing games and hopefully being the best out there. This isnt sustainable, I myself play LOTS of hours each day, but i know how it can hurt my health, and my career and school and so on. Find a balance.

I'd agree, but their track record is very draconian and I know where this will end up... 

97alexk said:

Finding a balance is up to each and every person, and it's also up to their parents to instill such values in their children.  What isn't sustainable, is the Government attempting to police recreational activities.   When things are done for you, or forced upon you, it tends to not have the desired effect.  People don't learn life lessons, if you do it for them.  So, if it's not video games, they'll move onto something else that satisfies them.  Or, as I said, you'll drive it underground, which is precisely what's happened in the US in the past when it comes to prohibitions.  That War on Drugs really worked out well for the US, didn't it?

mornelithe said:
97alexk said:

Finding a balance is up to each and every person, and it's also up to their parents to instill such values in their children.  What isn't sustainable, is the Government attempting to police recreational activities.   When things are done for you, or forced upon you, it tends to not have the desired effect.  People don't learn life lessons, if you do it for them.  So, if it's not video games, they'll move onto something else that satisfies them.  Or, as I said, you'll drive it underground, which is precisely what's happened in the US in the past when it comes to prohibitions.  That War on Drugs really worked out well for the US, didn't it?

That sounds not really realistic. Gaming addiction is something entirely different. If you do some restrictions or something where the goverment should be involved. because when something like that goes too far someone has to step in. Its not good for their health, and its not just their responsibilties, they are maybe also not as aware as they could be. I dont think there will start big under ground cartels of gaming. Thats not how it will be viewed. Like restricting the computers, the games or something else to max like 5 or 6 hours a day, or the people who are just very gaming addicted. Like focus on them so not the whole people should suffer for those.

Around the Network
97alexk said:
mornelithe said:

That sounds not really realistic. Gaming addiction is something entirely different. If you do some restrictions or something where the goverment should be involved. because when something like that goes too far someone has to step in. Its not good for their health, and its not just their responsibilties, they are maybe also not as aware as they could be. I dont think there will start big under ground cartels of gaming. Thats not how it will be viewed. Like restricting the computers, the games or something else to max like 5 or 6 hours a day, or the people who are just very gaming addicted. Like focus on them so not the whole people should suffer for those.

Many things aren't good for peoples health, and they are still legal.  So that's a illogical statement.  Hell, water is bad for you without moderation.  Are we going to have the Government ration water also?  Where does the Government hand holding end?  Maybe you want to live in a totalitarian dystopia where people aren't responsible for their own actions, but that's not the rest of humanity and nobody has the right to just give away others rights.   It's terrble what's happening in South Korea, and frankly, I'm glad that in the US, such Government overreach would be met with extreme intolerance, as it should.

Yes, they should be focusing on those who suffer, they should be studying and educating people on it, they should not be forcing people to adhere to their perceived norms.  It consistently does the exact opposite of the intent.  Alcohol prohibition?  Didn't work, made things worse.  War on Drugs?  Didn't work, made things worse, made drugs more potent, made more people aware of drugs, put's nearly a million people in jail a year for non-violent/petty possession.   More than all major violent crime combined, funds drug cartels (though increasingly less over time as people simply grow Pot in the US for personal use).  There are other negative effects of the Drug War, that probably aren't relevant to this particular debate, but, that's just it, you have no idea what rammifications this can have long term.

97alexk said:
mornelithe said:

Addiction is addiction, it's unrealistic to think prohibition will be effective, it never has.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

I'm just surprised PC cafes are still a thing.

97alexk said:

Maybe their goverment should think more about why gaming addictions in their country are so bad, instead of implementing draconian measures.

I've had some dealings with South Korea, and while they're reluctant to speak about their country much, once you do few jobs well for them they loosen up a bit...from what I gathered, for a lot of them, it's not really fun to live there, given how restrictive and insanely competitive their society is.

mornelithe said:
97alexk said:

Many things aren't good for peoples health, and they are still legal.  So that's a illogical statement.  Hell, water is bad for you without moderation.  Are we going to have the Government ration water also?  Where does the Government hand holding end?  Maybe you want to live in a totalitarian dystopia where people aren't responsible for their own actions, but that's not the rest of humanity and nobody has the right to just give away others rights.   It's terrble what's happening in South Korea, and frankly, I'm glad that in the US, such Government overreach would be met with extreme intolerance, as it should.

Yes, they should be focusing on those who suffer, they should be studying and educating people on it, they should not be forcing people to adhere to their perceived norms.  It consistently does the exact opposite of the intent.  Alcohol prohibition?  Didn't work, made things worse.  War on Drugs?  Didn't work, made things worse, made drugs more potent, made more people aware of drugs, put's nearly a million people in jail a year for non-violent/petty possession.   More than all major violent crime combined, funds drug cartels (though increasingly less over time as people simply grow Pot in the US for personal use).  There are other negative effects of the Drug War, that probably aren't relevant to this particular debate, but, that's just it, you have no idea what rammifications this can have long term.

lol what. I said that people who do it too much should be helped more. I dont see thousands of people drinking too much water. But this a is a porblem. Alot of things arent good for the health, but things that could be easily avoided and things like these that pop up and are trends from the latest decade could be harmful to alot of people. Its a different kind of addiction than alcohol and drugs. Its a entirely different case, and doing nothing about it is worse than atleast do something about it.  Its something different if it would be like just a couple of few people, but a huge portion of the population, then theres something wrong and you need to do something about it. Drug cartels and the whole drug situation is a whole other situation. I never speaked about making games illegal. There should be more awarness and some restrictions for the people that are seriously addicted and need help