By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Miitomo reached 1 Million users on Smartphones

Geeez!!!!! Some of the comments are...........

And this is why Nintendo made a right move to look into the Smartphone Market. They got the audience! And now the MyNintendo Rewards will bring even more!

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network
Einsam_Delphin said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

Nintendo has and always will be very strict and careful about things like this because they don't want people luring kids into bed, or worse. I honestly think they'd rather jump on their sword and go out of business before going the rout of "anything goes" online interactivity. 

And yet they made Miiverse and Wii U chat a thing.

Miiverse is/was extremely heavily moderated and Wii-U chat was only for friends lists.

Not really surprising. It's free, and it's Nintendo on a smartphone. It was always going to have a good start.

The question is whether the 10 or so million really big Nintendo fans will be able or willing to spread the gospel. It's a social media thing, and a free app, so these early adopters are basically Nintendo's marketing team.

JWeinCom said:
Not really surprising. It's free, and it's Nintendo on a smartphone. It was always going to have a good start.

The question is whether the 10 or so million really big Nintendo fans will be able or willing to spread the gospel. It's a social media thing, and a free app, so these early adopters are basically Nintendo's marketing team.

Surely there are more than 10 million really big Nintendo fans among the 70 million sold Nintendo consoles/handhelds of the current era.

Mbolibombo said:
JWeinCom said:

Surely there are more than 10 million really big Nintendo fans among the 70 million sold Nintendo consoles/handhelds of the current era.

I was referring to Japan where that number is 23.  Considering that there is a fairly large overlap between the 3DS and Wii U, and that not each sale represents a unique user, I'd say 10 million is fair and perhaps generous.

Around the Network

Nice numbers, but I expected to reach it day one, considering Japan is really into mobile. Will Miitomo get 1m downloads day 1 in the West when it gets released?

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

elektranine said:
Mr.GameCrazy said:

There is also the fact that it has only been released in Japan so far.

Last year over 50 million andriod devices where sold in japan alone. 

Thanks for that info.

RolStoppable said:
jason1637 said:
Good sales. $$$

The app is free.

There are inapp purchases

AlfredoTurkey said:

Miiverse is/was extremely heavily moderated and Wii-U chat was only for friends lists.

Not well enough as creepy junk does happen (Ex: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGx0qArjmas ), and you can easily add anyone onto your friends list, and doing so is the equivalent of giving random strangers your phone number.

Soundwave said:

We'll see in 3-4 years I suppose. 

This is 1 million users in a few days in basically just Japan with almost zero marketing and not much effort on Nintendo's part, they're not even flexing any of their IP muscle really. 

Imagine what some of their other IP with more effort put behind them could do. I think this is a large part of the future for them. 

It clearly is a large part of the future for them. Your words were that it will be "the driver," though. As in their primary source for business and income.

I repeat: it won't be. Dedicated gaming will be.