By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Quantum Break: Digital Foundry Hands-On (XB1)

AEGRO said:

That settles it:

• Single Player Game
  • No Multiplayer (duh)
  • 720p Resolution
  • 30 Frames per Second
  • Simultaneous Launch with PC

There is not one single reason to buy the Xbox One version if you have a capable PC (imo).

Halo XD

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

I guess you haven't heard, the PS4 is more powerful than the Xbox One.

I know it very well.
What does that add to the discussion?
XBO was also a console targeting 1080p games.
Is it strange to expect the major graphical showcases to hit that?

I'm pretty sure Gears of War 4 will.

Generally speaking, yeah. Especially on X1.

X1 games that really push impressive visuals are often in the ballpark of 900p.

When I hear great looking games are going to be 1080p on X1, I'm skeptical. I'm still waiting for clarification on QB resolution given it was touted as 1080p.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Zekkyou said:
JRPGfan said:

They mention (in the video) its named something like "final build" and that they assume its the version that will be released.

So... yeah...

Still does it even matter?

I watch the videos of it and think thats a good looking game. I dont go "yep this is 720, wont buy".

They do, but they also state their output will be 1080p. There are several contradictions here, so considering that, i think it's best to hold off on burning MS/Remedy to the ground until we have proper confirmation.

And yes, as someone who cares about IQ it does matter to me (or at least it would if i wasn't already getting the W10 version, but alas my interest in console tech drags me to this thread anyway :p). It might still be a nice looking game, but i don't see a problem with someone being disappointed if it doesn't hit its technical targets. There's a big difference between "this is bad" and "i was expecting more". I wouldn't not buy it over something like this though, no. I might have expected 10 pieces of cake, but i'm alright with 9

No its like expecting 10 pieces of cake and getting less than 4.5. That is the difference, quite large.

People making a big deal were probably never going to buy it anyway

Hiku said:
curl-6 said:

After Star Wars Battlefront, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, COD Ghosts, Dead Rising 3, and others, 720p on Xbox One just doesn't shock me any more.

Now if it was sub-HD, then I'd be stunned.

Well some of those are 900p, and the only one running at 30fps is Dead Rising 3. And I believe Dead Rising 3, which is a launch title, is the only other game besides Qunatum Break that runs at both 720p and 30fps. It's not uncommon for launch, or early, titles to be suffering from technical shortcomings that developers learn to iron out as time passes and their experience with the hardware grows.

I think what's surprising about Quantum Break, ifr this ends up being true, is that it's a game that was supposedly focused on Xbox One, and it's had ample development time.

The games I listed are all 720p on Xbox One.

Others may find QB running at 720p surprising, but I do not, nor will I surprised when future Xbox One games are sub-900p or future PS4 games are sub-1080p. It was surprising to me back in 2013, but not anymore.

Around the Network
Hiku said:
curl-6 said:

The games I listed are all 720p on Xbox One.

Others may find QB running at 720p surprising, but I do not, nor will I surprised when future Xbox One games are sub-900p or future PS4 games are sub-1080p. It was surprising to me back in 2013, but not anymore.

Well according to this, Hardline is 900p on Xbox One http://www.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/PS4_vs._Xbox_One_Native_Resolutions_and_Framerates
Perhaps it's wrong. I thought I saw another one as well, but I think I was looking at COD: Black Ops 3.

I wouldn't be surprised if other games in the future hit 720p either. But that along with 30fps? If it wasn't for Quantum Break I wouldn't have expected that for an Xbox One console exclusive with ample development time 2.5 years into the console's lifespan. But from now on I won't be.

Digital Foundry's analysis pegged Hardline's resolution at 720p on Xbox One, so yeah, IGN's list is incorrect. 

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-battlefield-hardline-face-off

As for the framerate, for all we know resolution isn't the limiting factor there. It could be GPU limiting it to 720p, but the CPU limiting it to 30fps.

Its kind of wierd. I dont really care for visually impresive games. I played the order and driveclub wich are defined as the best of the best, But as I played, graphics at no point made the game any better. Graphics is also something that hhas never influence me in getting a game. I was a nintendo wii owner last gen and it was fun as hell. But to tell me that this game is barely reaching the bare minimunm this late in the gen and its suposed to be one of the bigest hitters for the gen so far, kind of makes me feel glad I dont own an X1. I imagine others getting away from purchasing one as well, even though this game still looks great.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

curl-6 said:

Digital Foundry's analysis pegged Hardline's resolution at 720p on Xbox One, so yeah, IGN's list is incorrect. 

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-battlefield-hardline-face-off

As for the framerate, for all we know resolution isn't the limiting factor there. It could be GPU limiting it to 720p, but the CPU limiting it to 30fps.

No, its gotta be the GPU. Much like Alan Wake, this game is heavy on effects.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
curl-6 said:

No, its gotta be the GPU. Much like Alan Wake, this game is heavy on effects.

That may well be true, though we can't know for certain.

Still can't say 720p/30fps in an Xbox One title shocks me, any more than 900p/30fps shocks me in a PS4 title.

BraLoD said:
curl-6 said:

Exactly. PS4 can't handle those graphics at 1080p and 60fps. Hence, 900p.

You are moving goals.
From PS4 sub-1080p to sub-1080/60fps.

By that logic I can tell PS4 games are 420p if I want an Uncharted 4 with over 120fps.

It's running at 1080p/30fps on it's main game, there is no circling around it, Uncharted 4 is 1080p and a hell of graphical showcase at the same time.

Theres so much involved in all of this that resolution is not the be all.

DF didn't do any test with a direct capture or any type of capture for that. They even admit they don't know what the output resolution is. There comments on resolutions regarding shadows and lighting echo those of Remedy from SIGGRAPH in August of last year. They themselves say when they get a release copy they will be able to do a proper full analysis.

Is like to add that Alan wake was 960x540p but had 4xmsaa. Which DF said looked better than games at 720p at the time. Quantum Break they believe also uses a high msaa compared with other console titles this gen, and made it difficult to count the pixels. By their claim also they say theses no other game using some of the advance techniques with effects and occlusion on consoles out there.

Its all very well using a solitary number on a chart. But that no longer reflects what a users visual experience is on its own.