By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Miitomo reactions and expectations have been... Weird...

Do you use Facebook/Twitter/Instagram/Snapchat multiple times a day?

Yes, I do. 80 36.53%

No, I don't. 139 63.47%

Total:219

I think this is important to ask because I think a lot of people have a lot of...

...weird expectations and misunderstandings for Miitomo and the nature of mobile apps in general. Weird enough to make me think that a lot of people here may be a bit out of touch with how these kinds of apps work or why people like using them. So I just wanted to know what the usage was like on VGC. I check each one of these apps multiple times a day. Likely a combined at least 100 times a day. And most people who use smart phones are like this.

I can see the potential in Miitomo because I can see how this fits in with the way I interact with those apps, but obviously if constantly using social media is boring to you, you won't get it.

I also see a lot of people saying that this isn't a game, which becomes immediately clear is false as soon as you see the app. At least, it's obviously not "just an app" or whatever, because Miitomo doesn't function, at all, like a traditional comunication app. At least not in execution. It might not have a win state or a fail state, but it is definitely a game. Maybe it's a "communication game," much in the same way that something like Telephone is, but it's definitely a game. It's obvious now that it's a game. Even without the Pachinko minigame, it's a game.

I think the last wierd thing about the reactions to Miitomo is sort of the intent people are going into when playing it. They'll go into is and play for maybe 20 minutes and then say "it's neat and all, but I don't really see myself playing this long term," because you're not really doing it right. You wouldn't go into Instagram the first day it came out and say "yeah it's cool, but I'm probably not using this thing much longer." That's not how these things work. You're not meant to hardcore play this type of thing. It's just something you open up and check when you're bored for a couple minutes.

It just happens to be that many people are constantly bored so they're constantly checking. The Miitomo questions are the equivalent of something coming up on your news feed. You just boot the app, check to see what's new, like or comment on what you want, and then close it. Sometimes you get push notifications for whatever reason, but it's a time wasting app. That's what these apps are good for. Miitomo is just another one of those.

It's something that only makes sense when you have a LOT of friends to connect with. Imagine if you only had 15 Facebook friends who only had 15 facebook friends and on and on. Obviously Facebook would be super boring. But most people have hundreds. Many have over 1000. That's how Facebook thrives, and that's how Miitomo will. When millions of people are playing and millions of people are connected. When you have 70+ friends on Miitomo, that's what it's built for. That's when it hits it's stride. Just like every other app of this ilk, that revolves around social interaction.

And that's obvious to someone like me who wastes a lot of time using these apps every day, but I dunno, it feels like a lot of people aren't understanding how people are going to use this thing.

I mean, Gamexplain just released a 25 minute gameplay video for this thing lmao what?

Around the Network

Nope. I spend more time brushing my teeth than using social networks.

This a dedicated video game forum. I'm willing to bet that most people here either have a passive to outright hatred feeling regarding mobile. So really I would think this is not the best place to judge the viability of this app. Best to leave that to the average joe with a smartphone.

As an aside I feel like Nintendo is doing right by breaking the ice with such an open ended app like this that allows for something basic and quick for the average smartphone user. Now they just need to push it out there and advertise it to the masses. 

In the end I hope this proves to the one of the first steps in getting their company to be a more recognizable brand than they ever were. 

Also GameXplain could do a 25 min on Miyamoto farting haha

I might not be kidding >.>

The only social network I use is Instagram, and I use it for work.
Despite that I am interested in Miitomo, it's only a shame, that absolutely none of my friends will pick this up. It's too contained in the Nintendo cosmos and does nothing to reign new consumers in, at least not in the west. My non-gamer friends won't pick this up regardless, and my gamer friends will go: 'pssshhh, yeah, NO.'
So I'll try it out, but it will probably be a rather lonely expierience.

I'll connect with anyone on vgchartz.

Around the Network

I'm on Facebook, but I don't use it.
Miitomo I'll probably try out. If I like it I'll probably waste more time on it than I should.

Platforms: Wii U, New 3DS, PS4, PC

currently playing: 
 -Yoshi's Wooly World 
 -Pokemon X
 -Fire Emblem Fates 

Zone: Europe (Germany)

Everyone who played Tomodachi Life knows very well what Miitomo feels like.
It´s like that game but instead of managing several characters you manage/interact with only your own mii.

And it´s free. It´s more a way for Nintendo costumers to get coins easily to spend on rewards

I use FB/Twitter like a hundred times a day, so in my case I really see Miitomo as a time-consuming app like those social networks. And it feels different enough to be a nice complement to them. I can't wait to see how it evolves with time, and how people will connect.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-03-18/nintendo-finds-a-hit-with-its-new-social-app-miitomo

This is one of those threads that deserve a slow clap gif for hpw on point it is, but I'm on mobile so I'll add it later

Edit: