By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Witcher 3: Most Awarded Game of All Time

As many of you have recently heard, The Witcher 3 has won GDC's game of the year award. This award is its 251st, which puts it ahead of The Last of Us as the most awarded game of all time.

Info taken from GOTYpicks. Check out the page here: http://gotypicks.blogspot.ca/

*note*

TLOU won 249 out of 523 possible GOTY awards in 2013

The Witcher 3 won 251 out of 429 possible GOTY awards in 2015

I'm rather curious if any future games will be able to collect more GOTY awards than that.

#1 Amb-ass-ador

Around the Network

i could see why last of us won, but i really didnt think witcher 3 was all that great tbh

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

And I still have no desire to play it. What's wrong with me?

I don't like RPGs so I don't have the desire to play it either, anyways The Last of Us is still my favorite game, it's surprising how even if it was linear and the world wasn't as huge as TW3's world it still managed to won that much awards, and even so it still earned more nominations.

Congratulations to both!

d21lewis said:

Probably the fact that it's a third entry on a franchise you either have not played its previous games, or only played 2 and didn't like it. In any of these scenarios, I suggest giving TW3 a try.

Around the Network

How are there 94 less possible GOTY awards now than 2013? I would assume many smaller sites folded, but I would think others would sprout up.

I've never been impressed by how many awards games win all time, because there are simply way more websites now than there were in the past. It's kind of like how 4000 passing yards in a season for a QB is not a big deal now but would have been viewed as incredible only a short time prior.

But to get more awards with almost 100 less chances, that's pretty good.

Wright said:
d21lewis said:

Probably the fact that it's a third entry on a franchise you either have not played its previous games, or only played 2 and didn't like it. In any of these scenarios, I suggest giving TW3 a try.

Yeah. Only played 2 and couldn't get into it. I may buy it one day, though.

Two of my favorite games.

I guessing this is really "Most Awarded Game in the History of the Game of the Year Blog"?

It's nice for The Witcher 3 but it's still extremely arbitrary. It seems to be based on a random slice of publications and blogs as picked by whomever runs the GOTY blog. I mean, no offense to The Auburn Citizen or Actualité Houssenia Writing but ... yeah, I don't know them from a hole in the wall.

Wright said:

I thought the first one was pretty bad and hated the combat.  I only played a few minutes of the second one before putting it aside and never going back.  Is TW3 a massive improvement?