By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Worst 7 Female Stereotypes in Videogames That Need to Go

Tagged games:

Metrium said:
For me, the worst is the kind of character that are mainly from Japan. Those who are grow up women or teenagers but act like children. You know? Like Vanille from FF13 or that girl from Heavenly Sword (can't remember her name). Every time they talk I cringe.

I think the girl from Heavenly Sword was a bit....touched in the head. I rather liked her myself. Twing Twang!

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network

I think some people think like this because you don't see many stereotypes for male characters in games. The one thing i think needs to change is females always being the healer in RPGs, that bugs me to no end.

I Love Playstation, but my uncle works at Nintendo.

naruball said:
Farsala said:

Contrary to popular belief women also like to see beautiful women. Arguably more then men. So not only do these scantily clad women appeal to a lot of men, but they also appeal to a lot of women. When the women are beautiful they essentially have two markets, the men who like to play as sexy women and the women. While a macho man would only have men play them for the most part. I don't know how many women would like to play as Zangief for example... But many men and women would play as Chun Li.

Keep in mind that there are many men who find number 3 idiotic. You don't have to agree with all of the author's points, but especially 3 is something tons of people have expressed a dislike of. Same with many others.

As for females, yes there are those who like seeing beautiful women or even sexy women. All the female gamers I know, even those who are into girls tell me that they hate how women are portrayed in video games. They like women who are sexy, but not in a in-you-face way. I think Tomb Raider (reboot) is a perfect example of the right direction. Nice boobs, nice face, great body, but without clothes that look ridiculous like Quiet from MGSV.

Not every woman needs to be a strong independent one, but some variety or depth would be great. That's why I loved Jodie from Beyond:Two souls. She wasn't a badass or anything. Other than her powers, she felt like an actual human being. Not something used for titilation. Female chracters with personality are great. That's why a lot of people like Carol from the Walking Dead. She doesn't fit into any archetype(?) and that makes her all the more interesting.

It seems to me that the hatred for the feminazis is clouding a lot of people's judgment.

Edit: Also a character dressed like a prostitute for no reason whatsover breaks the immersion for me. Same with tv shows when they show a guy shirtless.

The thing is the OP doesn't talk about having a broader variety of types and characters who fit the story , he just puts up a list of archetypes , I love Alyx Vance from HL2 and feel she fits the story perfectly, she's a woman of substance but has weaknesses, but took ownership of them, by admitting  her intense dislike of Judith Mossman was as much about jealousy as it was about her betrayal ,and her deep fear when confronted by hunters after her near death experience, but for all that praise, I also have no problem with prostitutes in GTA or Zelda being captured by ganondolf , to me the bigger problem would be if those archetypes dissapeared to be replaced by somebodies idea of the perfect femalerole model.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Hmm, I would say some of those are boring and silly, but damaging? I dunno about that...

I don't think most of them give us a negative image of women. At least, I don't see them that way.

And all women aren't treated poorly. I think they're starting to be represented a little better nowadays than back in the day.

Also, I wanna know what games use a female mary-sue character... o:

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

RolStoppable said:
The damsel in distress point is funny because it asks the wrong question. The correct one is which woman doesn't want a man to risk his life to save/protect hers.

the answer to that is the woman that can save her self.

The second question that needs to be put is from Zelda and that's,  with all the heroes out there why do I get rescued by elf girl every damned time.

question 3 , who is the most hopeless Zelda for getting captured time after time to the same guy , or Ganondorf for continually to fail and never trying to change things by going after princess peach.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Around the Network
iamRockman said:
I think some people think like this because you don't see many stereotypes for male characters in games. The one thing i think needs to change is females always being the healer in RPGs, that bugs me to no end.

Because usually the big muscle freaks are male.

And you need a party of a tank,healer,damage dealer. ect.  And you want the tank to be a muscle freak in armor (look like they can take punishment).

Thats why typically the women are theives/healer/mage/archers, stuff that doesnt require you to be a muscle freak.

Because males never have stereotypes in video gamez, amiright?

Remove all females from videogames then.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

BraLoD said:
iamRockman said:

The reason is because nobody looks for a "stereotype" to bitch about when it's about men.

Every single category of those 7 have male examples just as well. Are people complaning about it? No.

As that youtube post that has been quoted here multiple times already explained, one of the problems comes from people wanting to think there is a stereotype around something just because it's a female character, because when it's a white man, nobody cares.

But even worse is people thinking they have a right to put any kind of limit or rule over a creative work, that's completely absurd, fictional characters can and should be every possible way their creator imagine them, it's their work, their reality, their freedom to do whatever they want.

Actually, historically speaking, this is not because male stereotypes don't exist, but because we have the 'right' male stereotypes.

The bitching starts whenever someone feels misrepresented. But the vast majority of male characters are written by men, to be male power fantasies. Conflict starts only when someone feels excluded from that fantasy, hence why the picture of the Hero diversified from white, straight, muscle bound male into diffrent bodytypes, skincolors, charactertypes, sexualities etc. The point is, these are being defined and written by males for males. Specifically to make males feel powerful. There's little reason for bitching, so there is little. This is the concept of male gaze. It doesn't just stop at the representation of females but extends to the self representation as well.

The problem with the female achetypes is, not neccissarily that they are unrealistic or bad writing (though some of them can be), it is that they were imposed on females by an overwhelmingly male host of writers/media creators. It does in many cases not portray how females view themselves, because it is not. It is an outside view, often paired with the desire for the female character to support the male writers power fantasy, making her readily available, sexually.

This does not mean that a woman neccissarily writes better women, or that all men write bad women or that anyone even does this conciously. We have been going through about two hundred years of mass media production in witch these tropes and stereotypes manifested, and as much as we would like to believe that all of the culture surrounding us has no influence on us, it does. Disney movies might not condition little girls to blindly marry the first good looking guy they meet, but it might lead to their frist attempts at writing mimicking what they loved as children, reinfocing views and dynamics they've never even questioned.

This doesn't mean than a man can't write an amazing women character or vice versa and it also doesn't mean that Women automatically write better women or men better men. It just means you need good writers, wich video games, traditionally have been....lacking.

This is why, even if this list is clickbait and takes an extreme point of view, it's good that it's there, because stopping one in a while and reflecting on our media will ultimately help create better media.

Right Wing
Defense == "developers should be free to do whatever they want!!"
Offense == "developers should stop pandering to SJWs!!"

Left Wing
Defense == "Developers should be encouraged to include broader representation in their games!!!"
Offense == "Developers should grow the f~%k up, was this made by a horny 12 year old boy!!!"

Personally, I try not to be a hypocrite. It all depends on the game in question and context. I approve of some fan service (Ivy is Soul Calibur) and disapprove of others (Quiet in the Phantom Pain)

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine