By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft Was Right, Video Game Discs Are Stupid

Saw this in neogaf. Lol. This guy doesn't know how fast PS4 installation is.

Around the Network
Neodegenerate said:
Zeroroute said:

Don't own a PS4 or an XB1, but I hear PS4 takes a lot less time to install games.

The difference in the amount of time is actually absurd.  If I recall correctly it took about 30-40 minutes for me to install Gears of War Ultimate on my XB1, and about 5 minutes to install The Division on my PS4.

I can confirm that.

The Xbox One install times are ridiculous.

StuOhQ said:
We just need card based games - 128 GB in a micro format. Crossing my fingers with the NX.

That can't happen. SD cards of 64GB aren't $2-3, like discs are. That's the only reason why SD cards haven't replaced discs.

I have never encountered installing a game for 2hrs unless there is a huge ass patch that was needed to be downloaded.

archer9234 said:
StuOhQ said:
We just need card based games - 128 GB in a micro format. Crossing my fingers with the NX.

That can't happen. SD cards of 64GB aren't $2-3, like discs are. That's the only reason why SD cards haven't replaced discs.

SD cards and Read-only cartridges are completely different things.

Around the Network
Gourmet said:
archer9234 said:

SD cards and Read-only cartridges are completely different things.

Doesn't matter. It's flash media. That costs more than discs.

Only reason most of my games are digital on 360 and Xbone is because of constant disc drive failures I get with Xbox consoles.

Like I said in the gaf thread about this, it's kind of weird to praise MS for being right previously because the install times on his console (xb1) are much longer than on ps4.
He could have just bought a ps4 and wouldn't have had to deal with the install time.

I will always prefer physical over digital.

There is always the risk of servers going down and losing all your content.

I own a PS4 and Xbox One. Both piss me off.

On one hand, I bought Street Fighter V (disc) on PS4 and I was fighting instantly. On the other hand, I eventually had to make space on my console because of the small ass HDD. Last week, I was out of disc space. I deleted pretty much every game I owned simply because I was so mad! I know I can redownload them but damn, space is such an issue. I don't want to install a new HDD, no matter how easy it's supposed to be. I just want to plug in a USB HDD and play! But yeah, discs install fast. Dowloadable games download slowly (even if they let you play before download is complete a lot of the time). Changing discs has become a chore. I didn't mind it last gen but I switch between games a lot. I sometimes play something already installed simply because I don't want to grab a disc!

Xbox One: Again, I mostly buy discs if there's an option. There are many times where I'm playing a disc five minutes after I open the cellophane. There are other times were I install a disc and I can't play until the next day! On the plus side, I have enough HDD space to easily store all of my games. The problem is (as mentioned before), I HATE changing discs, now.  Even if a game is installed, you have to prove that you didn't sell the disc or something.  That sucks.

It's like wanting to hear a song. Do I want to pop in a CD or do I just want to listen to it on MP3? When I was heavy into my PSP, I started with UMDs but after a while, I went full digital. I even bought every game I had on UMD again on digital! The only reason I have Vita games on physical media is because the performance is identical and storage is so expensive.

Oh well. I guess it's good to have options.