By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft Was Right, Video Game Discs Are Stupid

Ka-pi96 said:
PS4 install time is like 5-10 seconds.

I've no idea why the Xbox One takes so long, but it doesn't need to be that long.

Longer is better.

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence
Around the Network

wait until they cut the servers down and see how stupid these Disc games still are? If you dont like it thats fine, its an option for you so why are you complaining?

-On my PS4 there are almost no installation times, its takes 1 minute and i can start the game while the rest is installed while i can play the game. Unless if the developer decides otherwise and gives me an In-Game Installation Screen, with Server Based Games like Destiny or Battlefield. Bloodborne, Knack, Driveclub, Akibastrip, Evil Within, MGS5 and countless other games i could play during installation.
My Wii U has no installations.

- i have only but problems downloading things from the PSstore. The store sometimes wont load or the download speed is too low despite having good internet. Its faster getting your game delivered by Amazon than downloading them during launch.

- Do you realize that its the console manufacturers fault if they wont let you start Disc Based Installation without the discs? They could easily implement a 3 times game launch timer for 1 disc authentication.

- its cheaper in most cases.

- espacially on consoles servers wont last forever. What is holding MS back to shut down the servers in 10 years? They did it with the Original Xbox. And yes the OG XBox had digital Arcade games, so if you purchased them with real money and your first Xbox brakes you lost all of your games.

- i can resell my games or can do what ever i want with my physical games. If someone releases an emulator or PS4 OS on PC, i could legally play all my PS4 games with better performance and higher resolution and probably burn my Blue Ray games on the harddrive.

binary solo said:
walterbates said:

The arguments for discs are often directly conflicting with one another. People say they miss having a physical game collection on their shelf they can look at, and they want the ability to play old games when they want. But the other prime argument is that people want the ability to play a game and instantly turn around and pawn it at GameStop, which makes those other two reasons pointless, as you will never actually have a collection of games, if you keep selling them back for new ones.

They are only conflicting if you are talking about the same game. Games I love and want to keep = I like having them on the shelf to look at. Games I didn't like much and don't want to keep = being on disc I can sell it and get back some money to buy a game I will actually love and want to keep. See, no contradiction there. I will accept an all digital future only if refunds (like on Steam) become standard on all digital stores.

Exactly. My physical ps3 collection is a shelf full of awesome games.
My PSN collection is a mess of some great games, some ok, and a bunch of rubbish mostly from ps+.

I'll accept an all digital future if I can (re)download games in under a minute, get a (partial) refund on games I don't want to keep and get to lend / give away my games as I see fit. Until then I see digital as only 25% to 50% of the value of a physical copy. I'm very hesitant to pay anything over $10 for a digital copy.

Install times vs download times. Also Xbox is notorious for slow install times.

Even if you agree that discs are silly what I disagree with is Microsofts original idea of not giving consumers choice

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Lol no. I'd rather wait the couple minutes and have the option to sell my game if I so choose.