By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Division Downgrade

Tagged games:

Cobretti2 said:

Chaning things up is not the problem with this game. The visuals and enviromnet interaction is a clear downgrade, but hardly unexpected after what we seen with Watch Dogs.

If those other games have downgrades then they deserve to be doomed by the consumer.  

People getting tired of seeing a BIg Mac presented in it's glory only to get a deformed something that resembles the advert.

So Tom Clancy's The Division is the same as Watch Dogs ?

Please elaborate on "clear" and be specific too ... 

Welp, changing the shadow position is now a "downgrade" and I guess an object pointing at a different direction is too ...



Around the Network
BraLoD said:

Come on, you are being absurd there.
They choose to show it long ago, they choose to show gameplay, and they didn't delivered something on the same level.
If you don't want people getting back on you don't show something that's not going to be true, you are basically lying to your consumers, just like when you go to a McDonalds, see a nice meal in the ad, buy it and it comes like it was flushed down of a toilet, that's not acceptable.

Show the games when they are decently close to release with final builds them, like Fallout 4 just did, that way we know exactly what we are getting and we can base our expectation on something realistic.

I'm ok with cinematic videos announcement as well, as far as they are not "pretend to be", if somebody watch a cinematic they should know it's cinematic and that's it, that's completely fine, choose gameplay when it's ready to show.

I am being absurd, as it was exaggerated for humor.  However ... you do realize that it's not an advertisement, right?  The McDonalds example does not apply at all.  

Games shown before release are works in progress.  EVERYONE should realize that.

Also, regardless of you being okay with cinematic teasers, they always get complaints.  Everything gets complaints.  No one is going to pull a Fallout 4 with a new IP, either.



It's no wonder we have the likes of Digital Foundry and Lens of Truth cause we hardly have any computer graphics programmers on these forums ...



fatslob-:O said:

So Tom Clancy's The Division is the same as Watch Dogs ?

Please elaborate on "clear" and be specific too ... 

Welp, changing the shadow position is now a "downgrade" and I guess an object pointing at a different direction is too ...

Unisoft published both games and both got downgraded. That is the point I am making.

if you think shadows and objects pointin at different directions is the only difference (one I don't care about) then you need to wath tat video a few more times.



 

 

pokoko said:

The final product is different than a mockup from three years ago? Goodness.

This is one area where developers have to be very frustrated with the entitlement of some gamers.

(Developer show cinematic teaser video)
"NO! We want gameplay video! Show us gameplay!"
"But ... but this is still early development, so many things will change ..."
"GAMEPLAY!@! STOP LYING TO US WITH CINEMATIC TEASERS!!"
"Okay, then, if this is what you want ... here is some mockup gameplay we put together using projected settings. The finished project is still years away, though, and any number of things--."
"WOW, THANK YOU!"

(Game launches)
"What the hell! This is a downgrade! THE SHADOWS ARE DIFFERENT!!"

Perhaps what they should do is a mock up of gameplay based on settings they have currently managed to achieve with existing games. That way if they can tweek things up a bit for final release people will be impressed with the visual upgrade.  Perhaps Nintendo was smart releasing Star Fox gameplay that looked like early gen Wii visuals, and now they've released gameplay that looks like late gen Wii visuals, and everyone's excited for the visual improvements.



“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

 

Around the Network

How's the gameplay? Seeing the commercials showed me nothing about the gameplay. I know it involves shooting guns but what doesn't nowadays?



fatslob-:O said:

I'm not seeing any downgrade and if this is supposed to be some joke it's not funny anymore ...

Different =/= Downgrade

The next thing you is know is that people will start claiming that a change in the colour palette's texture will be considered a "downgrade" ...

Are you being sarcastic? I can't tell.



pokoko said:
BraLoD said:

Come on, you are being absurd there.
They choose to show it long ago, they choose to show gameplay, and they didn't delivered something on the same level.
If you don't want people getting back on you don't show something that's not going to be true, you are basically lying to your consumers, just like when you go to a McDonalds, see a nice meal in the ad, buy it and it comes like it was flushed down of a toilet, that's not acceptable.

Show the games when they are decently close to release with final builds them, like Fallout 4 just did, that way we know exactly what we are getting and we can base our expectation on something realistic.

I'm ok with cinematic videos announcement as well, as far as they are not "pretend to be", if somebody watch a cinematic they should know it's cinematic and that's it, that's completely fine, choose gameplay when it's ready to show.

I am being absurd, as it was exaggerated for humor.  However ... you do realize that it's not an advertisement, right?  The McDonalds example does not apply at all.  

Games shown before release are works in progress.  EVERYONE should realize that.

Also, regardless of you being okay with cinematic teasers, they always get complaints.  Everything gets complaints.  No one is going to pull a Fallout 4 with a new IP, either.

Yeah, that was what I meant xP

Anyway, it is advertisement, it's advertising a product to come, even as it is no claim the final build will be exactly that way, it's still a choice to falsely depict something, usually with something of a better quality than what will be achieved.

People pre-orders games, it's a business practice, there are lots of people buying that game that is being showcased, not the one delivered on its release date, several people make their choice and pay for something that'll come on a lowered quality later.

That's not right, I don't support that kind of practice and I'm all for people calling them out on those kinds of situations.
People do have a reason to do that, no need to mock them, they are not making it out of thin air.



Cobretti2 said:

Unisoft published both games and both got downgraded. That is the point I am making.

if you think shadows and objects pointin at different directions is the only difference (one I don't care about) then you need to wath tat video a few more times.

I did and all these posts I'm getting on these forums are near the level of conspiracy theories ... 

Apparently having volumetric mist at different locations and having more reflections occluded by snow constitutes as a downgrade ... 

Yeap, shading the snow is worth nothing compared to having reflections when you've gotta account for sub-surface scattering in the former ...



it looks good but its a downgrade, people needs to understand that everything they show in a trailer at E3 his made like for people to see what it would look like , its a taste , and in Ubisoft people should know by now that they always do this and its always way better than the final product. Why is people surprised?.