By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Division Downgrade

Tagged games:

It's no wonder we have the likes of Digital Foundry and Lens of Truth cause we hardly have any computer graphics programmers on these forums ...

Around the Network
fatslob-:O said:

So Tom Clancy's The Division is the same as Watch Dogs ?

Please elaborate on "clear" and be specific too ... 

Welp, changing the shadow position is now a "downgrade" and I guess an object pointing at a different direction is too ...

Unisoft published both games and both got downgraded. That is the point I am making.

if you think shadows and objects pointin at different directions is the only difference (one I don't care about) then you need to wath tat video a few more times.

pokoko said:

The final product is different than a mockup from three years ago? Goodness.

This is one area where developers have to be very frustrated with the entitlement of some gamers.

(Developer show cinematic teaser video)
"NO! We want gameplay video! Show us gameplay!"
"But ... but this is still early development, so many things will change ..."
"GAMEPLAY!@! STOP LYING TO US WITH CINEMATIC TEASERS!!"
"Okay, then, if this is what you want ... here is some mockup gameplay we put together using projected settings. The finished project is still years away, though, and any number of things--."
"WOW, THANK YOU!"

(Game launches)
"What the hell! This is a downgrade! THE SHADOWS ARE DIFFERENT!!"

Perhaps what they should do is a mock up of gameplay based on settings they have currently managed to achieve with existing games. That way if they can tweek things up a bit for final release people will be impressed with the visual upgrade.  Perhaps Nintendo was smart releasing Star Fox gameplay that looked like early gen Wii visuals, and now they've released gameplay that looks like late gen Wii visuals, and everyone's excited for the visual improvements.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

How's the gameplay? Seeing the commercials showed me nothing about the gameplay. I know it involves shooting guns but what doesn't nowadays?

fatslob-:O said:

I'm not seeing any downgrade and if this is supposed to be some joke it's not funny anymore ...

Different =/= Downgrade

The next thing you is know is that people will start claiming that a change in the colour palette's texture will be considered a "downgrade" ...

Are you being sarcastic? I can't tell.

Around the Network
Cobretti2 said:

Unisoft published both games and both got downgraded. That is the point I am making.

if you think shadows and objects pointin at different directions is the only difference (one I don't care about) then you need to wath tat video a few more times.

I did and all these posts I'm getting on these forums are near the level of conspiracy theories ... 

Apparently having volumetric mist at different locations and having more reflections occluded by snow constitutes as a downgrade ... 

Yeap, shading the snow is worth nothing compared to having reflections when you've gotta account for sub-surface scattering in the former ...

USA

JAPAN

It's no wonder Japanese games aren't popular anymore

An E3 trailer, mock-up or not is an advertising trailer, all the news sources will likely host the same video for us consumers to wet out panty's over and set expectations.

This is a downgrade because many of the effects were removed or scaled down severely, does it make the game less fun? Probably not. But consumers had set expectations and those expectations were not met.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

If the games run well, then that is all I care about. Even as a primarily pc gamer, I just want the games to be stable. They will still most likely look nice enough. Stability is key.

Hi

BraLoD said:

It's not because you don't want to see the downgrade that I have become a conspiracy theorist, dude.

There are too completely different kinds of resources being displayed on both presentations.

Wait and see for the Digital Foundry full tech review then, but I hope you don't call them conspiracy theorists as well.

There is nobody saying the game looks bad here, by the way, but not on that E3 2013 quality level.

To be honest, Digital Foundry already did a review for the Beta and the first line of the article is:
"The Division's beta may not match its spectacular E3 2013 demo point-for-point - back then a mascot for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One's brimming potential - but what we have today still outshines most current-gen titles in its technical spec."

Plain and simply, it does not match what is showcased, it's downgraded, like it or not, be it still on a good level or not, the point is that it's clearly not the same quality it once was, deal with it.

But hey, I guess I'm really a conspiracy theorist by calling it! smh.

Notice how they said "may" instead of "does not" ... 

I don't need more people spreading misconception around these boards ... 

As for not on the same level E3 2013, I like how nobody here is being specific ...