By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - So... What's the plan for VGC going forward?

Miguel_Zorro said:

Nice tablecloth.

It's actually a pillow, thank you, kindly.

Around the Network
pbroy said:
Platina said:
Really enjoy reading through this thread.

As for the NintendoLife thing, I'm actually not a fan of the new layout (especially the main page and news pages) The articles themselves are fine (except now they hidden the chat) but the main page is too cluttered and annoying. In fact, I'm using Nintendo Life a lot less because it's a bit annoying to navigate

My Nintendo News had a site overhaul and I didn't like it at first but now I'm fine with it. Maybe I'll get used to Nintendo Life but I still preferred the older one

What is NintendoLife? Is it like a support group, like Life with Aids or something? 😗

Hm.. sounds about right!

http://www.nintendolife.com/news  

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Machina said:
spemanig said:

So this is what I came up with using the guidelines you provided:

It has the fast tabs banner thing at the top, a big header that shows off a featured article, a slider that changes it to other featured articles, and the Global hardware sales.

Under this, still as part of that header, are the rest of the sales numbers. The Hot Topics are still where they are, and there is a space above the header for the ad. Obviously it could be made bigger to fit whatever ad needed to go there. I moved the ad box that is usually above the Hot topics to be below the weekly sales. I figure since that would give the space for two ads, it wouldn't be much of an issue.

As you scroll down, more of the page is revealed and you get to see more of the articles. There is a small tab above them that lets you filter out what articles you want to read. I intentionally wanted the forums to reach down to the first "recent" article because your eye will naturally go to it as you scroll down to see more threads. At this point, more ads could be put wherever it is deemed appropriate. Below the Hot Topics or even every couple of articles as the user scrolls down.

I'm imagining you'd be able to scroll down until you hit 10 or so articles, and then a link will appear saying "show me more," revealing ten more articles, and so on indefinitely, or somthing.

The Game DB is featured prominately on the top banner thing, and I guess the rest can be occupied by whatever else needs a tab. I do think that the VGC Supporter Program specifically deserves it's own tab though, but that's just me.

EDIT: To the left of the VGC logo is the VGC Buddy Tab. the three horizontal lines. If you click on it, a drop down menu will appear letting you see all the your most recent forum contributions and maybe other stuff. It only goes away when you click the tab again.

Not a bad drawing xD

I quite like it, but I do think the ad movement would be a deal-breaker for Brett, and if it were put back to its usual placing that would probably push the hot topics tab too far down the page.

With the VGC Buddy you say if you click it it would stay until you closed it, and from the dimensions in your image I'm assuming that means it'd eat into other content on the front page when it is out. Do you not think that having the VGC buddy acting as a pop up that will cover some of the content on the front page would annoy a lot of people? At present it just fits neatly down the side so it's pretty unobtrusive.

Another concern is whether a redesign will actually be a good thing in general. It'd definitely make sense for the mobile version to be a major redesign, for the reasons Trucks gave, but a lot of people dislike change so is it a good idea to re-do the front page on the main, non-mobile site? For example, most of the older users here still say they prefer the origina blue or the black site to this day - and that seems to be a fairly consistent feeling across all websites (Platina's post above regarding the Nintendo-dedicated sites is a good illustration of this). What may initially seem like a better design can actually alienate people.

For sure, new changes and layouts will definitely annoy people and alienate some, but don't let that stop you from changing things up! Like how I didn't like the changes on My Nintendo News, I've gotten used to it and will dare say that it was better than before. Just takes time getting used to

I personally do not really mind the current layout, but what spemanig has suggested does look really nice and refreshing. Not sure what the original blue and white colours were, but I don't mind this colour palette either!

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Platina said:

For sure, new changes and layouts will definitely annoy people and alienate some, but don't let that stop you from changing things up! Like how I didn't like the changes on My Nintendo News, I've gotten used to it and will dare say that it was better than before. Just takes time getting used to

I personally do not really mind the current layout, but what spemanig has suggested does look really nice and refreshing. Not sure what the original blue and white colours were, but I don't mind this colour palette either!

I wouldn't be opposed to a pallet change either, even though I've grown quite fond of the current one.

I can see how the black, green, and orange can look fugly to some people, though.

CGI-Quality said:
hershel_layton said:
I'm sure most people here don't care much for sales. Threads are where they are at. Most people are pretty reasonable, no stupid fanboy fights...you get the point, no?

Nah, I disagree completely, especially if you've been on the site longer than 5/6 years. I can go to other forums and chat video games, but VVGC is specifically designed for sales. 

OT: What's going to happen? Well, as of now, the staff is putting things in motion to keep this place interesting, while introducing new elements (some I know of, others I can't disclose, yet).

I've been here for a few months. Didn't think the sales were the main focus of the website

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

Around the Network
hershel_layton said:

I've been here for a few months. Didn't think the sales were the main focus of the website

This is a sad state of affairs. I've been here a few years, and they once were.

spurgeonryan said:

I love the current color. Huge changes will just push even more people away. @cgi Sales threads are more or less dead. Sorry to say. Every once in a while a gem will pop up.

Eh. I think it can all depend, really. I don't think a change in color pallet has to be too alienating if it's done with thought and tact.

spemanig said:
Machina said:

Not a bad drawing xD

I quite like it, but I do think the ad movement would be a deal-breaker for Brett, and if it were put back to its usual placing that would probably push the hot topics tab too far down the page.

With the VGC Buddy you say if you click it it would stay until you closed it, and from the dimensions in your image I'm assuming that means it'd eat into other content on the front page when it is out. Do you not think that having the VGC buddy acting as a pop up that will cover some of the content on the front page would annoy a lot of people? At present it just fits neatly down the side so it's pretty unobtrusive.

Another concern is whether a redesign will actually be a good thing in general. It'd definitely make sense for the mobile version to be a major redesign, for the reasons Trucks gave, but a lot of people dislike change so is it a good idea to re-do the front page on the main, non-mobile site? For example, most of the older users here still say they prefer the origina blue or the black site to this day - and that seems to be a fairly consistent feeling across all websites (Platina's post above regarding the Nintendo-dedicated sites is a good illustration of this). What may initially seem like a better design can actually alienate people.

Hm... That's difficult to work around.

I definitely do think there desperately needs a redesign. I think change naturally alienates some people, but I strongly believe that the way the site is currently is very disorganized to put it lightly. I think it's very counterintuitive to the kinds of traffic I think the site can get, and I think it pretty much guarantees that the articles will get little attention. It almost feels like we're sending the articles out to die with the way it's currently laid out, which just isn't fair to me, and seems to run against the best intrests of the site.

The discomfort is definitely a consistant feeling across all websites, but more often than not people simply get used to that change, as Platina's post above regarding the Nintendo dedicated sites also illustrated.

It's tough, because it's difficult for me to think of a way to keep the Forum Hot Topics at the top while giving the articles the primary attention I think they deserve. Perhap making the Featured Article section I made and cutting it in half. The Global Hardware can slide into the middle (much like it is now -_-), and then the ad would go where the Hardware box used to be. That way it's the same as it used to be, the articles still have a relatively prominant position on the front page, and the Forum Hot Topics doesn't have to move positions. Just slide up the recent articles, and you have a much more intuitive page layout that drives traffic and represent's the site's various sections more efficiently.

Something like this:

As for the VGC buddy, I was assuming it would be much like the way youtube used to do it, where clicking on it would actually shift the entire page about half an inch to the right, making room for that tab by closing the blank, unoccupied space. I don't see why this couldn't be the same. If anything, I guess it could be on the side. I just think it looks a bit cluttered the way it is currently, so I was trying to make the whole thing tidier.

I'm liking what I see. Especially the big box at the top to display the news. I think your first draft was better because it was less cramped but if I go by Machina's comments I'm guessing we don't really have a choice when it comes to ad placement. Now, you wouldn't happen to have some Photoshop skills and could whip up a sample new homepage?

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:
I'm liking what I see. Especially the big box at the top to display the news. I think your first draft was better because it was less cramped but if I go by Machina's comments I'm guessing we don't really have a choice when it comes to ad placement. Now, you wouldn't happen to have some Photoshop skills and could whip up a sample new homepage?

I don't haha but I have a close friend who is lol so I may be able to whip up something.

I like the first one better as well, but like you say, I think this is the best case scenario given the restrictions on ad placement.

TruckOSaurus said:

Right, so unfortunately I don't have access to someone who can help me make a sample in a timely manner. I tried doing it myself, but I don't have access to the appropriate software.

It would also look extremely amateur if I made it lol but I though it was worth the try.