By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sega Hit By Layoffs - Success On Mobile Is Hard To Achieve

While some of their titles have performed well on mobile, the company has still had financial trouble and staff layoffs, with the latest of these layoffs now affecting their Western mobile division.

The mobile market is massive, but a few key companies, namely King and Supercell, primarily dominate it. The reality is that success on mobile is very hard to achieve, as the market is heavily saturated.

What’s more, coming from a console gaming background will actually harm a company’s strategy when it comes to mobile. This is because the requirements of mobile gamers are vastly different when compared to those on console.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2016/03/06/more-layoffs-at-sega-this-time-in-their-western-mobile-division/#1c14fa81486c

Sega attributes the changes to a new focus on IP-based games created by internal studios, bringing popular Japanese mobile games to the West, and “mass market view-per-play games designed to further Sega’s network strategy in the West.”

http://venturebeat.com/2016/03/04/sega-confirms-layoffs-in-western-mobile-division-to-focus-on-it-famous-characters/

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
It would be nice if they, and other companies, learned from this. Little chance of that I suspect though.

I agree.With the oversaturation of the mobile market, I would argue that, even with the initial high investement, it is safer for a company like Sega to make games for traditional consoles

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Considering there are a lot of companies that can survive by just making A-AA games on the right platforms, I really don't know why Sega keeps pushing the mobile bandwagon. Sega's classic and modern IPs can work well under the right circumstances, and Atlus themselves are really successful making a lot of high quality A-AA games as their main focus.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Is it true that most of the hardcore Xbox fanboys are remnants of Sega console fanbase? Not the regular Xbox fans. I mean the real sick hateful demented ones. Is there any truth to this.

Mobile gaming is completely different market than consoles. Makes me wonder if Nintendo will do any better.

Around the Network
V-r0cK said:
Mobile gaming is completely different market than consoles. Makes me wonder if Nintendo will do any better.

The name Mario, Zelda and Pokemon are still really big with the mainstream. Anything attached to them is bound to sell well, specially on a free-to-play market.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

V-r0cK said:

Nintendo has something Sega doesn't really have this point: strongly recognized IP. any Mario or Pokemon themed game on mobile would do extremely well.

I don't really want Nintendo to push into the mobile market, but they could fairly easily but a dumbed down game on phones that would probably do well, in fact they already have a few in the E-shop that are simple puzzle games that are popular

I luv U Sega but, good! fook mobile!

Now focus all your power and strength into what you're good at, and leave mobile in the gutter where it belongs.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5

Don't really care. Announce Alien Isolation 2 them maybe I will.

Darwinianevolution said:
V-r0cK said:

The name Mario, Zelda and Pokemon are still really big with the mainstream. Anything attached to them is bound to sell well, specially on a free-to-play market.

That what I'm thinking as well but a part of me feels like it might not have the same effect in the mobile world.