By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo intentionally locking content to NEW 3ds

There is a large difference between "can play some games in unofficial way" and "release real product working".
Old 3DS might be able to handle some SNES games with playable framerate, like 50~60fps, but official VC should work perfectly, as like original SNES does. It is clear old 3DS is not enough powerful to release SNES games as official VC.

Around the Network
Cobretti2 said:
just buy a new 3ds

i have like 12 or so 2ds/3s consoles they great units.

Huh?!

Darwinianevolution said:
d21lewis said:

As a certified, card carrying 3DS Ambassador, I can say without a doubt that we didn't get ANY free SNES games!  They gave us a ten NES games of varying quality and 10 GBA games of mostly high quality.

I'm sure the 3DS could run SNES games with no problem. It already runs a lot of Genesis games with added 3D (and wow, those 2D games with 3D effects look great!) but what can I say? I already upgraded to a NN3DS a year ago so it doesn't really effect me.

*edit* on that note, I wish they'd give us more GBA games but even the ones we got don't run properly.  If you choose the console, they still keep running and will kill the battery in no time! You have to use the GBA "sleep mode" to power them down and most other 3DS tricks quit working (if I remember correctly. Been while since i played them).

I thought one of the Ambassador games was Super Metroid! What games were included?

GBA

Mario vs Donkey Kong

Fire Emblem The Sacred Stones

Kirby & die wundersame Spiegelwelt

Metroid Fusion

The Legend of Zelda The Minish Cap

WarioWare, Inc Minigame Mania

Mario Kart Super Circuit

F-Zero Maximum Velocity

Yoshi's Island Super Mario Advance 3

Wario Land 4

NES

Balloon Fight

Donkey Kong Jr

Ice Climber

Mario & Yoshi

Zelda II - The Adventure of Link

NES Open Tournament Golf

Super Mario Bros.

Metroid

The Legend of Zelda

Wrecking Crew

Darwinianevolution said:
d21lewis said:

As a certified, card carrying 3DS Ambassador, I can say without a doubt that we didn't get ANY free SNES games!  They gave us a ten NES games of varying quality and 10 GBA games of mostly high quality.

I'm sure the 3DS could run SNES games with no problem. It already runs a lot of Genesis games with added 3D (and wow, those 2D games with 3D effects look great!) but what can I say? I already upgraded to a NN3DS a year ago so it doesn't really effect me.

*edit* on that note, I wish they'd give us more GBA games but even the ones we got don't run properly.  If you choose the console, they still keep running and will kill the battery in no time! You have to use the GBA "sleep mode" to power them down and most other 3DS tricks quit working (if I remember correctly. Been while since i played them).

I thought one of the Ambassador games was Super Metroid! What games were included?

Having trouble copying and pasting on my phone so I'm just going to have to ask you to Google "Nintendo 3DS ambassador games".

The Metroid games were Metroid (NES) and Metroid Fusion (GBA), though.

Thanks for the assist, hentai_11!

Around the Network

I honestly think Nintendo realised the limitations of the 3DS and hence made the New 3DS (look at the frame rate in games like Pokemon X and Y). They wanted a newer system to handle these things. Maybe the New 3DS can only run recent hardware updates or support the new Nintendo program.

It is lame these SNES games arent on the old 3DS but all im saying is maybe there is an actual reason behind it all.

Australian Gamer (add me if you like)               
NNID: Maraccuda              
PS Network: Maraccuda           

hentai_11 said:
Darwinianevolution said:

GBA

Mario vs Donkey Kong

Fire Emblem The Sacred Stones

Kirby & die wundersame Spiegelwelt

Metroid Fusion

The Legend of Zelda The Minish Cap

WarioWare, Inc Minigame Mania

Mario Kart Super Circuit

F-Zero Maximum Velocity

Yoshi's Island Super Mario Advance 3

Wario Land 4

NES

Balloon Fight

Donkey Kong Jr

Ice Climber

Mario & Yoshi

Zelda II - The Adventure of Link

NES Open Tournament Golf

Super Mario Bros.

Metroid

The Legend of Zelda

Wrecking Crew

Huh. No SNES games. It's really bad the lack of a propper SNES, GBA and DS emulator/VC on the 3DS. Thanks for the info.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Miyamotoo said:
What I know SNES games couldnt run on original 3DS because of weak hardware, New 3DS has stronger hardware. That is probably only reason because there no any sense to lock SNES games just to New 3DS when Nintendo cant earn money on owners of older 3DS which buy the way are majority.

this is the first I've heard of this. Where did you hear it?

Jranation said:
So N3DS can feel more happy with their purchase.

Basically this.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

They wont bother giving us a good reason to upgrade to the N3DS, so they use BS tactics. Its just how Nintendo operate these days. The NX cant come soon enough imo.