By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo intentionally locking content to NEW 3ds

So N3DS can feel more happy with their purchase.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network

This is, to me, a second Ambassador program. It's their way of giving meaningful content (not a downgrades Xenoblade, not Federation Force if that is exclusive) to the people that went ahead and got the N3DS because Nintendo said there'd be meaningful content.

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!

What I know SNES games couldnt run on original 3DS because of weak hardware, New 3DS has stronger hardware. That is probably only reason because there no any sense to lock SNES games just to New 3DS when Nintendo cant earn money on owners of older 3DS which buy the way are majority.

Miyamotoo said:
What I know SNES games couldnt run on original 3DS because of weak hardware, New 3DS has stronger hardware. That is probably only reason because there no any sense to lock SNES games just to New 3DS when Nintendo cant earn money on owners of older 3DS which buy the way are majority.

I've played Super Mario AllStars on an unofficial Snes emulator on the original DS (2004) and it worked fine, there's no way an Official emulator cannot run on the 3ds.

Barkley said:
Miyamotoo said:

I've played Super Mario AllStars on an unofficial Snes emulator on the original DS (2004) and it worked fine, there's no way an Official emulator cannot run on the 3ds.

True, I had all sorts of emulators on my R4. This is a matter of Nintendo being unable to sell SNES and GBA games on the 3DS to avoid problems with the early adopters.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network
Barkley said:
Miyamotoo said:

I think problem was with frame rate, SNES games couldn't had stable frame rate on original 3DS.

Again, there no any sense to lock SNES games just to New 3DS when Nintendo cant earn money on owners of older 3DS which buy the way are majority.

Darwinianevolution said:
I think it's because the Ambassador program. Nintendo gave away a decent amount of SNES titles for early 3DS adopters. They can't sell them on the 3DS because it would anger the early adpoters, but the N3DS isn't included in that deal.

Still sucks, though, I wanted to play EarthBound.

As a certified, card carrying 3DS Ambassador, I can say without a doubt that we didn't get ANY free SNES games!  They gave us a ten NES games of varying quality and 10 GBA games of mostly high quality.

I'm sure the 3DS could run SNES games with no problem. It already runs a lot of Genesis games with added 3D (and wow, those 2D games with 3D effects look great!) but what can I say? I already upgraded to a NN3DS a year ago so it doesn't really effect me.

*edit* on that note, I wish they'd give us more GBA games but even the ones we got don't run properly.  If you choose the console, they still keep running and will kill the battery in no time! You have to use the GBA "sleep mode" to power them down and most other 3DS tricks quit working (if I remember correctly. Been while since i played them).

just buy a new 3ds

i have like 12 or so 2ds/3s consoles they great units.

d21lewis said:
Darwinianevolution said:
I think it's because the Ambassador program. Nintendo gave away a decent amount of SNES titles for early 3DS adopters. They can't sell them on the 3DS because it would anger the early adpoters, but the N3DS isn't included in that deal.

Still sucks, though, I wanted to play EarthBound.

As a certified, card carrying 3DS Ambassador, I can say without a doubt that we didn't get ANY free SNES games!  They gave us a ten NES games of varying quality and 10 GBA games of mostly high quality.

I'm sure the 3DS could run SNES games with no problem. It already runs a lot of Genesis games with added 3D (and wow, those 2D games with 3D effects look great!) but what can I say? I already upgraded to a NN3DS a year ago so it doesn't really effect me.

*edit* on that note, I wish they'd give us more GBA games but even the ones we got don't run properly.  If you choose the console, they still keep running and will kill the battery in no time! You have to use the GBA "sleep mode" to power them down and most other 3DS tricks quit working (if I remember correctly. Been while since i played them).

I thought one of the Ambassador games was Super Metroid! What games were included?

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Barkley said:

So assuming I understood the direct I watched last night when I was suffering from severe sleep deprevation the SNES virtual console games are only playable on the NEW 3ds and not the OLD.

WHY??!?!

There are unofficial snes emulators for the ORIGINAL DS, so it is 100% not a question of power, there is no reason that these titles are locked to the NEW 3ds other than Nintendo saying "Give us your money buy a newer one."

I used to respect Nintendo as a different kind of company that didn't resort to tactics like this just in the pursuit of money, but with the recent milking of amiibo's for everything it's worth and now Nintendo's games getting season passes at launch and locking content to their new model for NO good reason. 

I mean I'm not exactly that bothered that I can't get snes virtual console games on my 3ds but the changes I'm seeing in Nintendo recently just leave a sour taste in my mouth.

At least I finally got past chapter 5 of Fire Emblem Awakening without half my party being murdered.

SNES emulators on NDS had a lot of problems. I remember trying Super Metroid and not only run terribly slow, but also had tons of bugs and graphic issues. Not that it matters, normal 3DS is far more powerful than NDS, I'm just saying...

Also, it's real funny how everyone is complaining about SNES exclusivity for N3DS... but no one gives a shit about Federation Force having high probabilities of being exclusive too xD