By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft to unify PC and Xbox One platforms, ending fixed console hardware

What this could mean is that the Xbox One becomes more like a PC, with Microsoft releasing updated versions at regular intervals with more powerful processors and graphics hardware. In theory, because games will be written as UWAs, older titles will remain compatible with the new machines. 

Source: http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/mar/01/microsoft-to-unify-pc-and-xbox-one-platforms-ending-fixed-console-hardware

Around the Network

Will the increased pc support effect the sales of the x1? It has to. The sales are already low and struggling against the competition. How can I gain momentum when there's another viable alternative.

zero129 said:
I knew it.
Imo i like how MS is merging all their platforms into "one" system.

I can't say I'm a fan since they are trying to close off what I've wanted on W7 and what I've wanted from PC gaming in general.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Love it! It took them 15 years but MS has finally realized what it takes to merge PC and the Console space.

If only you could also play retail Xbox One games on PC, i think then Xbox One system sales would increase. I really miss the retail market for PC, it's why i switched to consoles.

Around the Network

Uhhh...I mean...Maybe this is just because I work retail, but people already complain that they feel like they have to buy new consoles too often. The general buying public is going to reject this.

The only way I see this working is if MS had decided that instead of trying to get as many people to buy their systems, they're going to try and get as much money out of the hardcore fanbase by making them buy Xbox Ones over and over again.

So basically, instead of selling 50 million consoles to (roughly) 50 million people, sell 50 million consoles to like...15-20 million people.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

I seriously cannot understand how anyone could think this 5-6 years fixed hardware generational thing would last...

I cannot imagine toilet-free life.

Kebabs have a unique attribute compared to other consumables. To unlock this effect you need to wolf down a big ass kebab really fast, like under 10 minutes or so and wait for the effect to kick in. If done correctly your movements should feel unbelievably heavy to the point where you literally cannot move at all.

-Downtown Alanya Kebab magazine issue no.198

Hopefully MS will also implement a system so that games on the newer system works with the old one for some time, by allowing the gamer to adjust fps/resolution/lighting and so on.

zero129 said:
OneKartVita said:
Will the increased pc support effect the sales of the x1? It has to. The sales are already low and struggling against the competition. How can I gain momentum when there's another viable alternative.

The will be a more powerful X1 releasing, so i imagine that will boost the sales alot. All games now are forword and backword compatible.

You want to play MS games and 3rd party games but dont care about Graphics? Buy an Xbox1.

Your only into consoles and want to play the best looking MS games and the "best" looking 3rd party games? Buy an Xbox1S/Xbox10..

You want the best looking MS games and the best looking 3rd party and 3rd party console exclusive games Buy a windows10 PC.

You want to play them MS games on the Go? Buy a Windows 10 Phone.

Its clear to see where MS is going with this. Console install base is not whats important its "Total User" Base thats important.

For instance it sounds much more better if MS is looking to get a game on their platform to say "Well we have 80 million users on our Platform" instead of "We have 20 million users on our xbox1 systems".

But what i also think is, if MS release a more powerful Xbox1. Sony might follow and release a more Powerful PS4. This could be the end of our normal console gens.

The thing is right now x1 already offers most 3Rd party games plus real exclusives.  But now it's losing them to the pc platform too so a guy might invest in a middle powered pc instead.  

Especially if they can play online on pc without paying for live.  

The x1 sales are already low and struggling for momentum.  Offering their xbox games on pc ain't going to boost sales.  It will likely decrease them.  On the plus side software sales should increase. 

zero129 said:

I understand it from your view. But its understandable that MS is going to want to give people a reason to upgrade their OS.

I mean dont get me wrong, it would of been great for us users if MS allowed us to use DX12 on Windows 7, and Allowed their games on Steam. But for MS as a Company that wouldnt be the smartest choice imo.

And that's honestly where they will lose me for the future to someone else along with others doing the same.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"