By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - RUMOR: The European Version of Bravely Second has the bad endings removed, only the good endings remain

Wright said:
Nem said:
I disagree. I see no point to "bad" endings. It just leaves you unsatisfied if you don't get the canonical ending.

Bad endings are the punishable result of the gamer's incompetence, that's the point. Of course you want to try again to get the canonical ending; the idea of a bad ending (not an evil ending, but a bad one) is to leave you unsatisfied, confused or angry.

Thats what the "game over" screen is for.

Around the Network
Nem said:

That'd imply you can simply reload last checkpoint (like in most games' Game Over screen nowadays) and just try again. Where would be the punish there?

Wright said:
Nem said:

That'd imply you can simply reload last checkpoint (like in most games' Game Over screen nowadays) and just try again. Where would be the punish there?

Progress lost?

Isn't "You now have to redo it all over, you just wasted your time" a bit overkill?

Nem said:

Progress lost?

Isn't "You now have to redo it all over, you just wasted your time" a bit overkill?

Depends on how the Bad Ending is presented to the player, and the consequences of it.

You have Chrono Trigger as an example. If you lose to the final boss, you trigger the bad ending on which the universe is destroyed. Given that the game ends, your only option is to do again the final section and try again at the boss. It's not that bad, really.

Nem said:
Wright said:

Progress lost?

I have to agree with Wright on this. Good and bad endings only add replayability to a game or/and series. Especially if a game starts to arc earlier in different directions. ME series is a good example of this and why it's a good thing.

Around the Network
Wright said:
Nem said:

Progress lost?

Depends on how the Bad Ending is presented to the player, and the consequences of it.

You have Chrono Trigger as an example. If you lose to the final boss, you trigger the bad ending on which the universe is destroyed. Given that the game ends, your only option is to do again the final section and try again at the boss. It's not that bad, really.

Yeah... that kind of ending is alright. You just have to reload your save.

Aeolus451 said:
Nem said:

Progress lost?

I have to agree with Wright on this. Good and bad endings only add replayability to a game or/and series. Especially if a game starts to arc earlier in different directions. ME series is a good example of this and why it's a good thing.

I'm not sure it is. ME is composed of several "mini-games" with your party members. If you complete them you are rewarded with a better ending.

I guess we aren't talking about the same thing. If its an ending that simply is handed out if you skip the content, i am ok with. My problem is the kind of ending of "oh you made a wrong decision at moment X" so now you have the bad ending and have to start over if you want to know how it really ends. That is think is a waste of time.

In that case i just go and watch the ending on youtube.

Nem said:

I guess we aren't talking about the same thing. If its an ending that simply is handed out if you skip the content, i am ok with. My problem is the kind of ending of "oh you made a wrong decision at moment X" so now you have the bad ending and have to start over if you want to know how it really ends. That is think is a waste of time.

What if the "bad ending" in that case is as equally interesting as the normal/true ending? Like, it punishes the player, but you can sense a lot of effort went into it. Not just a cutscene swap at the end, but for example, a different endgame boss/dungeon altogether.

Wright said:
Nem said:

What if the "bad ending" in that case is as equally interesting as the normal/true ending? Like, it punishes the player, but you can sense a lot of effort went into it. Not just a cutscene swap at the end, but for example, a different endgame boss/dungeon altogether.

If that much work went into it then its fine. Something like say Fire Emblem Fates excites me. If theres enough work into it to make it feel like it its own journey in its own worth then its cool, because it doesnt feel like a punishment, but rather "you still got all this in this game you can still enjoy".

Anyways going back to bravely. I'm not sure that is the case. Also, bravely is such a grindy game that i caný imagine going through it once, much less twice. xD

Has this been confirmed?

Hiku said:
Nem said:
I disagree. I see no point to "bad" endings. It just leaves you unsatisfied if you don't get the canonical ending.

First of all, the bad endings can be canonical as well. (Shadow Hearts 1  for example.)
Also, they can add more depth to the story, like in Persona 4. It wasn't apparant what exactly was bad about some of the bad/non-true endings, but instead made you think and question your choice, and wonder if maybe the real culprit is someone else, and not who you thought it was. Some people thought the "Good" ending was the True ending as well, until they realized that something was off, or read about it online. And there was nothing frustrating about reaching this ending, because it let you save your game and either proceed to the good ending, or to the true final dungeon. (So you don't have to start over.)

RolStoppable said:

I've played the first game and the demo of the second one. It's going to take a looooong while until I'll get Bravely Second because I am certainly not going to pay full price.

A couple of the people who own a copy are already far enough into the game to say that choices are still in there, so the rumor seems to be bogus.

Good to hear. I hope someone can confirm that.

I can confirm that the choices are still there. Although I don't know if they difer a lot of the Japanese game. I played the game yesterday with a friend of mine who has it, and there are choices. But I don't know what people are calling "bad" or "good" choice xDDDD. They're not just black and white for what I've seen.