By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - No Metriod Til Atleast 2019 Seriously Nintendo?

nuckles87 said:
Prime has a plot and atmosphere, but its story is barebones.

Hearing about soldiers getting massacred by local packs of alien predators and powerful tyrants can evoke its own bit of "dread" (though not on the level of the few moments you've referenced in Prime) but nevertheless I wouldn't equate that to "grim darkness". And I think it's also telling that a lot of the stuff your mentioning is mostly only seen in the opening area of the game. Most of Prime isn't even this dark.

Prime can have tonal consistency because it has very little story with no characterization. You play a blank slate in a world empty of characters. You'll be hard pressed to find a quality RPG that doesn't have some comic relief in it.

In any case, as far as tonal consistency and a dark atmosphere, what you highlight in Prime isn't just something that modern Nintendo doesn't do. Nintendo in general has rarely ever gone in this direction, and the few times it has has been in games that are hardly "consistently dark".

There is nothing about Metroid Prime that modern Nintendo wouldn't have the "guts" to do. Dark games in general have always been a rarity for Nintendo.

I do agree with you on one thing: I do think it would be good for Nintendo to diversify it's library with more "mature" games. Bayonetta 2 and Xenoblade Chonicles X are a nice start, but these types of games should be more than just an occasional occurrence as they long have been with Nintendo.

Modern Nintendo seems happy to let other developers make darker games for their systems, (Bayonetta 2, Fatal Frame) but stops short of making them themselves, with the exception of the Xenoblade games, which I think they still view as "external" cos even though Monolith is now a first party studio, they only became so relatively recently.

Nintendo these days seems too afraid of taking risks with their software to go all-out on a modern Metroid they way they did with Prime.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
nuckles87 said:
Prime has a plot and atmosphere, but its story is barebones.

Hearing about soldiers getting massacred by local packs of alien predators and powerful tyrants can evoke its own bit of "dread" (though not on the level of the few moments you've referenced in Prime) but nevertheless I wouldn't equate that to "grim darkness". And I think it's also telling that a lot of the stuff your mentioning is mostly only seen in the opening area of the game. Most of Prime isn't even this dark.

Prime can have tonal consistency because it has very little story with no characterization. You play a blank slate in a world empty of characters. You'll be hard pressed to find a quality RPG that doesn't have some comic relief in it.

In any case, as far as tonal consistency and a dark atmosphere, what you highlight in Prime isn't just something that modern Nintendo doesn't do. Nintendo in general has rarely ever gone in this direction, and the few times it has has been in games that are hardly "consistently dark".

There is nothing about Metroid Prime that modern Nintendo wouldn't have the "guts" to do. Dark games in general have always been a rarity for Nintendo.

I do agree with you on one thing: I do think it would be good for Nintendo to diversify it's library with more "mature" games. Bayonetta 2 and Xenoblade Chonicles X are a nice start, but these types of games should be more than just an occasional occurrence as they long have been with Nintendo.

Modern Nintendo seems happy to let other developers make darker games for their systems, (Bayonetta 2, Fatal Frame) but stops short of making them themselves, with the exception of the Xenoblade games, which I think they still view as "external" cos even though Monolith is now a first party studio, they only became so relatively recently.

Nintendo these days seems too afraid of taking risks with their software to go all-out on a modern Metroid they way they did with Prime.

I'm not really sure Nintendo sees Monolith as many more "external" than Retro. Hasn't Monolith assisted Nintenndo on a variety of in-house projects?

How does Nintendo seem too afraid to take risks?

nuckles87 said:
curl-6 said:

I'm not really sure Nintendo sees Monolith as many more "external" than Retro. Hasn't Monolith assisted Nintenndo on a variety of in-house projects?

Monolith has two studios; the one that made the Xenoblade games, and a smaller one that assists with Nintendo EAD's games.

And many of Nintendo games this generation have played it safe and not done anything really adventurous or demanding; Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, New Super Mario Bros U, etc.

In prior generations we had stuff like Metroid Prime 1/2/3, Mario Galaxy, Mario 64, Twilight Princess, Ocarina of Time; epic, no-holds-barred blockbusters that pushed the envelope and spared no expense. On Wii U, about the only game so far that feels like they really went all out on is Xenoblade Chronicles X.

foxtail said:

OneTwoThree said:

And I often like things nobody else likes :D I like SMB2 and the beginning of Twilight Princess, and Double Dash and the gibberish voiceover in Zelda games

Sometimes in Zelda it's not really gibberish:

Midna's Voice Clips - Unscrambled

That's really cool, didn't know that video! But yeah obviously I meant gibberish as opposed to conventional voice acting - I really hope Nintendo won't give in to the pressure. 

nuckles87 said:
curl-6 said:

An example would be Fed Force's direction. If they wanted to take a strong risk, in a direction that people would agree more. They'd use Halo's elements, as a basis. Not Fed chibi. Which is something Nintendo is more confortable to do. Weather it makes sense for Metroid, or not.

They're thinking was probably: MOM sold poor/slow. No one likes movie story telling. Avoiding the key reasons why people hated it. Kind of the flipped problem the Stargate series had. The show was a mix of drama and comedy. They see numbers are dropping, from the first two shows. Let's only do drama. And so, the 3rd series tanked.

Nintendo decides to go in a more cute direction. To get extra sales in another demographic. And were also thinking, we'd like Chibi stuff too. And that won't bother use. There was those photos of design ideas, that were in the normal style the serres does. But they never picked those. So they out right wanted to go in the chibi way, to begin with.

Around the Network

I finished Metroid Prime 2 (again) the other day on the Wii U and noticed in the credits that Tatsumi Kimishima is credited in the Special Thanks.  Apparently he is credited in Prime 1,2,3 and Fusion, Zero Mission too.  Sometimes the credit is under the NOA section.  He's credited in a lot of Gamecube era games but most of the times in the Metroid Special Thanks he is mentioned first.

Maybe he used to work closer with NOA back then, but hopefully the new president (Kimishima) feels that a new Metroid is warranted and wanted.

foxtail said:

I finished Metroid Prime 2 (again) the other day on the Wii U and noticed in the credits that Tatsumi Kimishima is credited in the Special Thanks.  Apparently he is credited in Prime 1,2,3 and Fusion, Zero Mission too.  Sometimes the credit is under the NOA section.  He's credited in a lot of Gamecube era games but most of the times in the Metroid Special Thanks he is mentioned first.

Maybe he used to work closer with NOA back then, but hopefully the new president (Kimishima) feels that a new Metroid is warranted and wanted.

Wasn't he the president of NOA at the time?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

They could do a 2D metroid in 2 years tops. But the people who makes decisions at Nintendo just love to sh*t on our dreams.
So instead will get more Kirby, more Paper Mario, more Animal Crossing, and more Miis!!! Yeah for Nintendo!!!

I was really hoping for a Super Metroid style game on 3DS

XBOX ONE/Wii U/3DS/PC

RIP Iwata 12/6/1959-7/11/2015

Thanks for all the great memories!

DarkRPGamer007 said:
I was really hoping for a Super Metroid style game on 3DS

I really don't understand why it still hasn't happened.

Or even an Eshop game on both WiiU and 3DS. That could have worked too.

Thank god we got Guacamelee, that game was my savior as a Metroid fan...

Just played Shadow Complex on PC, not as good but I liked it.