By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Petition to boycott Sony reaches over 200,000 signatures

hershel_layton said:
mornelithe said:

From everything I've heard regarding the subject yes, it can be absolutely devastating for someone to admit it.  There are several reasons why (again, this is what I've heard):

1) The 'Rape Kit' is a pretty humiliating procedure

2) Testimony requires you to basically recount the entire experience from start to finish, and if you're actually cross-examined by a defense lawyer, it's that much worse

There are other reasons that I'm probably not aware of, because I've never been a victim of sexual violence/rape, so while it seems incredulous to me to keep it to yourself (if for no other reason than you may be preventing it from happening to someone else), I've never been in that situation so I cannot even fathom the emotions that run through victims heads.

However, that in no way means I agree with suspending due process over rape charges.  You simply cannot convict just because an allegation has been made , AND there are numerous exmaples in the past few years, that lies have been told about being raped (UVA, Duke Lacrosse Team, Emma Sulkowicz), for a variety of reasons, and those are only the ones that gained nation/worldwide attention.  Many colleges are currently facing mass lawsuits over their handling of sexual assault allegations where students are being named/shamed and expelled without anything even remotely resembling due process (Defendants not being allowed representation, not being allowed to submit evidence, not being allowed to question their accuser, to name a few).

Sigh

World is full of idiots i suppose. Never thought we'd have so much problems over this.

Well, in only the smallest and minor defense of the schools (very small, very minor), the Dear Colleague letter's that the Dept. of Education sent out, scared the fuck out of them.  They basically told all colleges that all allegations must be prosecuted, by the College, threatening their endowments (billions of dollars in funding), if they don't, and stating that they only needed to find guilt using the 'preponderance of the evidence' level of proof (this basically amounts to we're 50.01% sure, something happened)  However, the Dept. of Education got a rude awakening, because it appears they overstepped their authority, and at least one Senator is not too happy about it:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/education/wp/2016/01/07/u-s-senator-education-department-overstepped-authority-on-sexual-assault-complaints/

Around the Network
mornelithe said:

True, however, the courts must award great deference to under oath testimony.  It wasn't just that she said it, it was that she swore under oath during a secret deposition.  This is literally the only proof that exists in the matter, and she expected the allegation to be enough for an injuction in court.  Not sure what her lawyers were thinking, frankly.  Oh wait, I know, they like money.

I'm not saying that the judge was wrong in his decision given the unsturdy information provided. I'm just saying that it's ignorant for the internet to immediately assume that she's lying based on that. Rape is some of the most fucked up psychological trauma a person can go through. If she did get sexually assaulted, her decision-making isn't going to always be rational.

And frankly, I think it takes an eyerollingly suspicious cynic to immediately assume that the world is so fucked up a place, filled with such an overbearing quantity of horribly detestable scums, that it's more likely that a woman would attempt to publicly ruin someone's entire life by falsely accusing their boss of a crime as heinous as rape merely as a quick way to get out of a petty contract, one of which there is currently no alterior motivation as to why she'd want to get out of it in the first place, than to actually entertain the idea that she may actually be a traumatized victum shakily telling the truth.

spemanig said:
mornelithe said:

True, however, the courts must award great deference to under oath testimony.  It wasn't just that she said it, it was that she swore under oath during a secret deposition.  This is literally the only proof that exists in the matter, and she expected the allegation to be enough for an injuction in court.  Not sure what her lawyers were thinking, frankly.  Oh wait, I know, they like money.

I'm not saying that the judge was wrong in his decision given the unsturdy information provided. I'm just saying that it's ignorant for the internet to immediately assume that she's lying based on that. Rape is some of the most fucked up psychological trauma a person can go through. If she did get sexually assaulted, her decision-making isn't going to always be rational.

And frankly, I think it takes an eyerollingly suspicious cynic to immediately assume that the world is so fucked up a place, filled with such an overbearing quantity of horribly detestable scums, that it's more likely that a woman would attempt to publicly ruin someone's entire life by falsely accusing their boss of a crime as heinous as rape merely as a quick way to get out of a petty contract, one of which there is currently no alterior motivation as to why she'd want to get out of it in the first place, than to actually entertain the idea that she may actually be a traumatized victum shakily telling the truth.

Oh no, I agree with you, I was just elaborating on why her previous statements on the matter held such weight.  I mean, if she hadn't been sworn when she said those things in the past, this case may have gone a different direction, because then it comes down to he said/she said.  In this case, it was she said vs she said.

As far as the second part, nobody wants to assume it, because it IS horribly detestable.  However, we have seen it already play out, in several scenarios for less.  The girl who claimed she was gangraped that Sabrina Erdley reported on in the UVA scandal, lied, in order to get a guy she liked to basically be her knight in shining armor.  She created a false persona, and literally texted herself, her friends, and this guy from said persona, to try and get him jealous.  When that didn't work, she cooked up the gang rape story.  And this is the shit that makes people pause, that's why false accusations are so fucked up, because not only have you ruined the life of some innocent person, but you're also putting that bit of doubt in people's minds about other claims.  And notice, they still don't use her actual name, even though the entire story has been debunked, the texts/emails that this girl sent are out in the open etc... and yet, the only actual names we know are the men who were falsely accused.  That is so fucked up.

Well, courts have to make decisions based on evidence not emotion. If there's no evidence other than Kesha's testimony of abuse then the court would have a very hard time finding in her favour and nullifying the contract.

Personally if I had been abused as alleged I'd simply accept being in breach of contract and then come back with avengeance once whatever penalty for being in breach has played out.

Petition to boycott Sony products is ridiculous. What's Sony going to do, fire the guy based on no grounds that would stack up in court and get sued the hell out of? No, there's nothing Sony can do without a similar level of evidence of abuse as the courts would need to allow the contract to be voided.

If Kesha has been the victim of abuse by this guy then I hope justice wins out for her eventually, but it can be a long road to justice if the evidence is scant.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

spemanig said:
mornelithe said:

I'm generally inclined to think she's telling the truth, but lacking sufficient corroborating evidence I think the court made the only decision it could under the law. It sucks for her, but if you want to live under the rule of law rather than the law of the jungle then you have to accept that sometimes the law isn't going to work for you even if you're right.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network

I'm gonna make a counter-petition to present the case that boycotting is stupid. 300k signs and I'll make a Twitter post saying #SonyDoesntSupportRape...Dumbass.

Seriously, that actual real hashtag is... wow.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

It's not Sony's fault the judge didn't rule in favor of Ke$ha. While Sony has their scumbag moments, they're the only VG company I buy new products for whether its hardware or software just based on the fact they get 3rd party Japanese support (Persona, SF5, Tales, Star Ocean) which I appreciate and I have to help with sales for continued support. If I ever decided to buy a Nintendo or Microsoft console/handheld (doubtful) or games for the console again (highly doubtful), it would be second hand, same with nVidia and Intel.

Currently Playing: N/A

Anime and Studying is life RN

Sorry can't post too busy stabbing my vita and ps4 with a pitch fork.

Seriously though why don't they make a petition to change the law or something because they're missing the point big time here.

A petition for a boycott... God, that is even more stupid than an Adam Sandler movie.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

spemanig said:
A petition... To boycott.

They need 200,000 signatures...

...to complete a petition...

...to act on a boycott.

*slowly raises palms in "heck if I know" gesture*