By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Would GTA sell better in Japan if it was on a handheld?

Tagged games:

Would GTA sell better in Japan if it was on a handheld?

Yes. Japan loves handhelds and 11 33.33%

No. The franchise isn't ... 10 30.30%

There's no way T2 will e... 5 15.15%

Go back to study OP, you lazy bum. 7 21.21%

Total:33

I doubt putting GTA on a handheled would mean much.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network

I think it's more because it's not appealing rather than the platform it is on..

..but interesting to see

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

fatslob-:O said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Not true, modern mobile devices can handle open world games we've seen on PS3 and 360.

They could also scale back to visuals to make them perform better on more mobile devices. Its the graphics that use up most of the resources, not the gameplay.

Anyhow, in regard to the OP. A GTA on Vita wouldn't be worthwhile. However, we'll eventually see ports of GTAIV and V on mobile devices.

By "handhelds" I meant dedicated portable gaming devices so that doesn't include smartphones ... 

@Bold Maybe so but if the PC version of GTA V is anything to go by it's also a CPU hog ... 

I think we'll see GTA IV and V soon enough on phones but by then GTA VI will be on consoles and we won't be seeing that on smartphones for some years ... 

In the end what good does it do for mobile devices to be a few years behind the franchises we see on home platforms ? 

GTAV on PC is the same version found on 8th gen consoles. That's why it uses more CPU power.

Mobile devices arent really the place for games using cutting edge specs. But ports of older games is the next best thing and some do really well.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

That's a nice question. While past portable games haven't been that big of a success in Japan, I think a new one, with a full 3D world (which is totally possible with current hardware) and with a nice marketing campaign could definitely take off and sell over a million there. It could pull a Splatoon for sure.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Hmmmmm, supposing that the handheld have enough power to run the game at a respectful level(one that the developers can feel satisfied with), I do think it can fare better in Japan, but I dont think it will do that much better.Its not a question of being in a more desirable platform for japanese, it is simply a matter of cultural differences.The same way that alot of japanese games may seem off or strange to us, GTA may seem too "western" for them.So unless japanese taste shifts drastically, I dont see it doing that much better even in a handheld.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:

GTAV on PC is the same version found on 8th gen consoles. That's why it uses more CPU power.

Mobile devices arent really the place for games using cutting edge specs. But ports of older games is the next best thing and some do really well.

Which comes back to my original point of how mobile devices don't have any hope of running the latest games in the AAA franchise ... 

How well an extremely late port does varies but what exactly are the hopes of GTA selling better in Japan if old games come late on mobile devices ?

fatslob-:O said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Which comes back to my original point of how mobile devices don't have any hope of running the latest games in the AAA franchise ... 

How well an extremely late port does varies but what exactly are the hopes of GTA selling better in Japan if old games come late on mobile devices ?

When you said the latest, I was thinking the 7th gen games. Not the upgrade to a last gen game.

The 7th gen releases would likely work fine on high end mobile devices of today.

Either way, it doesn't matter. R* doesn't spend a massive budget trying to appeal to Japan.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

To answer your question, yes. But not by much. Dragon Quest Builders sold better on PSV than PS3 and PS4... that's some pretty good ammunition to use in this thread. Everything sells better on handhelds in Japan. I wonder what Splatoon on 3DS would do.