By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - January 2016 NPD Thread! PS4 #1

mornelithe said:

leyendax69 said:

Welp, I don't know the background with gaf and all, but that sucks...

Gaf basically banned the only person giving numbers, over something that really shouldn't have been in question, at least from what I understand.

Can't he/she just join another less stupid site and giving them out? or on twitter

Around the Network
leyendax69 said:
mornelithe said:

Gaf basically banned the only person giving numbers, over something that really shouldn't have been in question, at least from what I understand.

Can't he/she just join another less stupid site and giving them out? or on twitter

There's a thread somewhere, where Aquamarine (a previous divulger of NPD numbers) went over it all, it may be January's sales thread, or December's NPD thread.  Either way, iirc, I think it was a pretty substantial about face that they were even given permission to release NPD numbers to Gaf, by the NPD group. 

Here's her statement (Dec NPD):

"Thank fucking NeoGAF moderation for permabanning my friend NPD George / NDP Mulcair.

George / Mulcair is from The NPD Group. He's my contact at the agency in Port Washington. I helped him set up an account and actually was able to convince NPD that it was a good idea to help out GAF / other sites with some official information starting with October 2015 NPD.

But apparently that piece of shit admin Stumpokapow decided to ruin a perfectly good thing and permaban my friend because they got into their stupid little heads that he was "my alt account" which doesn't make any sense. I set up his profile on my computer and then told him the login and password because he's not very good with forums, and apparently that's "proof of an alt account" despite him clearly being a very different poster than I was.

I tried to get back on NeoGAF in the past...I reached out to the mods to be unbanned at multiple points...but they have completely ignored me. So I thought bringing George to GAF could act as a good replacement for data so everyone didn't always have to rely on leaks.

But apparently the arrogance and elitism of the NeoGAF moderators knows no bounds, and they'd rather stick to their draconian ways instead of getting more of a good thing. So you know what? Fuck them. We're done.

We all think it's utterly ridiculous that they're acting like children. This incident has really soured our opinion of the forum. But hey, what can you do? NeoGAF is really going downhill. I'm finally starting to understand why there is so much hatred against them on the Internet.

I have nothing against Chartz forums or any of you guys. NPD used to be really draconian last year so I was pressured pretty hardcore into trying to stop leaks but they've got new management lately that has been more open towards sharing tidbits of data (like hardware), hence the existence of NPD George / NDP Mulcair. This incident will probably close everything down again, which sucks.

If I can leak something here in the future with the permission of NPD I will, but it's probably unlikely."

So, that's basically what happened.

I'd say gaf mods are really popular over there right now

mornelithe said:
leyendax69 said:

There's a thread somewhere, where Aquamarine (a previous divulger of NPD numbers) went over it all, it may be January's sales thread, or December's NPD thread.  Either way, iirc, I think it was a pretty substantial about face that they were even given permission to release NPD numbers to Gaf, by the NPD group.

That's a pretty stupid reason to ban someone, specially if they are the ones giving you traffic, consdering most people is probably there for the numbers. Thanks for your answer, I just hope we start getting actual numbers at some point again, even if seems unlikely.

leyendax69 said:
mornelithe said:

That's a pretty stupid reason to ban someone, specially if they are the ones giving you traffic, consdering most people is probably there for the numbers. Thanks for your answer, I just hope we start getting actual numbers at some point again, even if seems unlikely.

Yeah the general consensus is that Gaf mods are dumbasses.  

Around the Network

What good is NPD thread without NPD numbers...

It is so useless that it is turning into a thread about GAF moderators. Let's try to keep it peaceful at least.

BraLoD said:
mornelithe said:

Here's her statement (Dec NPD):

"Thank fucking NeoGAF moderation for permabanning my friend NPD George / NDP Mulcair.

George / Mulcair is from The NPD Group. He's my contact at the agency in Port Washington. I helped him set up an account and actually was able to convince NPD that it was a good idea to help out GAF / other sites with some official information starting with October 2015 NPD.

But apparently that piece of shit admin Stumpokapow decided to ruin a perfectly good thing and permaban my friend because they got into their stupid little heads that he was "my alt account" which doesn't make any sense. I set up his profile on my computer and then told him the login and password because he's not very good with forums, and apparently that's "proof of an alt account" despite him clearly being a very different poster than I was.

I tried to get back on NeoGAF in the past...I reached out to the mods to be unbanned at multiple points...but they have completely ignored me. So I thought bringing George to GAF could act as a good replacement for data so everyone didn't always have to rely on leaks.

But apparently the arrogance and elitism of the NeoGAF moderators knows no bounds, and they'd rather stick to their draconian ways instead of getting more of a good thing. So you know what? Fuck them. We're done.

We all think it's utterly ridiculous that they're acting like children. This incident has really soured our opinion of the forum. But hey, what can you do? NeoGAF is really going downhill. I'm finally starting to understand why there is so much hatred against them on the Internet.

I have nothing against Chartz forums or any of you guys. NPD used to be really draconian last year so I was pressured pretty hardcore into trying to stop leaks but they've got new management lately that has been more open towards sharing tidbits of data (like hardware), hence the existence of NPD George / NDP Mulcair. This incident will probably close everything down again, which sucks.

If I can leak something here in the future with the permission of NPD I will, but it's probably unlikely."

So, that's basically what happened.

Why would he/she even have something against us to begin with

We have Smeags!... wait... D:

There's some kind of issue between gaf and vchartz, I'm not 100% familiar with the situation, though.

Last edited by OttoniBastos - on 08 August 2018

Last edited by OttoniBastos - on 08 August 2018

OttoniBastos said:
BraLoD said:

Why would he/she even have something against us to begin with

We have Smeags!... wait... D:

She was constantly criticizing VGchartz numbers(she had a point tho) and also us posters because aparently we believe too much on the numbers,which imo is false because most people here are constantly questioning VGchartz numbers and saying things like "this must be over/undertracked".We only believe in the numbers when it make sense and it fits with other informations we have like Amazon's best sellers rank,last years numbers,etc...

Anyway,about what she said about GAF,i wonder how much time it would take to EvilLore realize that he and his elitist mods are killing the site.

Edit: Sorry for the double post.

Hmm. Maybe VGC can take up the slack.  Would be cool if we started getting leakers here and people who criticized VGC (unfairly) would start coming here.