By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Digital Foundry vs Twilight Princess HD

Miyamotoo said:
curl-6 said:

Which aged better though is simply a matter of its appeal then versus its appeal now, so its still a matter of preference.

And not ageing isn't necessarily synonymous with beauty. For instance, I don't think Wind Waker has aged all that much, but that is because I think it looked ugly as sin in 2003, and is still ugly today.

That's a point, even you who don't like WW visual style think didn't age all that much, on other side I didn't see one single opinion that says TP aged good. You dont like WW visual style and you prefer TP visual style, that so ok, but reality is that WW visually aged much better. TP has realistic art style and 10 years later its looking bad for today standards, while WW has cartoon art style and 13 years later looks good even for today standards.

I think Twilight Princess's art style has aged just fine, as born out by TPHD.

"Realistic" isn't the word I would personally use to describe it though. Yes, it is more realistic than Wind Waker, but it can still be pretty whacky and surreal.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Miyamotoo said:

That's a point, even you who don't like WW visual style think didn't age all that much, on other side I didn't see one single opinion that says TP aged good. You dont like WW visual style and you prefer TP visual style, that so ok, but reality is that WW visually aged much better. TP has realistic art style and 10 years later its looking bad for today standards, while WW has cartoon art style and 13 years later looks good even for today standards.

"Realistic" isn't the word I would personally use to describe it though. Yes, it is more realistic than Wind Waker, but it can still be pretty whacky and surreal.

You are first that saying TP art style aged just fine. :)

In comparison with WW, TP art visuals are definitely "Realistic", but point is same, it aged much worse.

Miyamotoo said:
Volterra_90 said:

I don't think there's a "valid" opinion regarding art styles, just a more "accepted" opinion, which is not exactly the same :P

Well far more accepted oppinion is that visual style of WW is timeless while TP art style aged bad. What that tells us!?

It tells us that more people prefer how WW art style aged. But people saying TP art style aged better is a perfect valid opinion, even if there are less people saying that. Art styles are a subjective matter, technical opinions are not. 

Miyamotoo said:
curl-6 said:

You are first that saying TP art style aged just fine. :)

In comparison with WW, TP art visuals are definitely "Realistic", but point is same, it aged much worse.

I thought TP looked better than WW back in the day, and I think TPHD looks better than WWHD today.

WWHD got a more significant technological overhaul, but no amount of shader tech can make its art appealing to me.

Volterra_90 said:
Miyamotoo said:

Well far more accepted oppinion is that visual style of WW is timeless while TP art style aged bad. What that tells us!?

It tells us that more people prefer how WW art style aged. But people saying TP art style aged better is a perfect valid opinion, even if there are less people saying that. Art styles are a subjective matter, technical opinions are not. 

Of Course that is valid opinion, every opinion is valid, but if the majority have one opinion and just few people different opinion, like in this case, what actually aged better TP or WW!?

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
Volterra_90 said:

Of Course that is valid opinion, every opinion is valid, but if the majority have one opinion and just few people different opinion, like in this case, what actually aged better TP or WW!?

Neither of them, since it's a subjective opinion XDDD. I personally think WW aged better, since cartoonish look tends to appeal to me more. But I remember there was a lot of controversy with WW art style back then and a lot of people thought it was shit, and I'm sure they're still thinking the same, and even worse since the tech back then is not the tech nowadays. It's the same with art in general. People might think One Direction are gods, I think they're trash, so the point is, are they trash or are they good? XDDD. It's a matter of tastes, and tastes are not objective, even if 99% of the population thinks the same. 

Volterra_90 said:
Miyamotoo said:

Neither of them, since it's a subjective opinion XDDD. I personally think WW aged better, since cartoonish look tends to appeal to me more. But I remember there was a lot of controversy with WW art style back then and a lot of people thought it was shit, and I'm sure they're still thinking the same, and even worse since the tech back then is not the tech nowadays. It's the same with art in general. People might think One Direction are gods, I think they're trash, so the point is, are they trash or are they good? XDDD. It's a matter of tastes, and tastes are not objective, even if 99% of the population thinks the same. 

But again reality is that huge majority of people think WW visuals better than TP visuals.

Miyamotoo said:
Volterra_90 said:

But again reality is that huge majority of people think WW visuals better than TP visuals.

Sure, that's a given. I can't deny that :P

Miyamotoo said:
But if generally accepted opinion is that Star Fox Zero isnt best Wii U looking game (or that that visual style of WW is timeless while TP art style aged bad), than much higher chances are that Star Fox Zero really inst best looking Wii U game. What is more valid opinion in that case!?

Are you a mind reader capable of reading millions of people's minds at a time?

There's no such thing as a "generally accepted opinion", and there's no way to know what is the most common opinion amongst the many, many people who haven't spoken out on the issue. You cannot know what the silent majority thinks of Star Fox Zero's graphical style. But even if you could, it's still just opinion - if 99 out of 100 people said that Star Fox Zero isn't the best looking game, that wouldn't invalidate the opinion of the 1% that say it is.

Even after this, people will still say that TPHD is a lazy port.