By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Digital Foundry vs Twilight Princess HD

curl-6 said:

The only lighting improvement they cited was higher precision bloom, a relatively minor refinement that most people wouldn't even notice if it wasn't pointed out. Before this I hadn't heard a single person mention it, actually. It's still using DX7 era per-vertex lighting, while WWHD employs a modern lighting system with global illumination, HDR, per-pixel lighting, and ambient occlusion.

And Digital Foundry's opinion on the art style carries no more weight than anyone else's. Technological fact is where their word is important, cos they are experts in this field, but a preference in art style is just personal opinion.

I'm almost certain that they said global "shadow maps" ...

Around the Network
fatslob-:O said:
curl-6 said:

The only lighting improvement they cited was higher precision bloom, a relatively minor refinement that most people wouldn't even notice if it wasn't pointed out. Before this I hadn't heard a single person mention it, actually. It's still using DX7 era per-vertex lighting, while WWHD employs a modern lighting system with global illumination, HDR, per-pixel lighting, and ambient occlusion.

And Digital Foundry's opinion on the art style carries no more weight than anyone else's. Technological fact is where their word is important, cos they are experts in this field, but a preference in art style is just personal opinion.

I'm almost certain that they said global "shadow maps" ...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-zelda-twilight-princess-on-wii-u-is-even-better-than-we-remember-it

"We got lighting upgrades back then (via added bloom effects, high dynamic range, and global illumination)"

Miyamotoo said:
curl-6 said:

Well they opinion definitely carris much more weight than your or mine opinion. Fact is that visual style of WW is timeless while TP art style aged bad is generally accepted opinon.

Their opinion of technology carries more weight than mine or yours.

But there is no right or wrong when it comes to the interpretation of art. Everyone's opinion is equally valid.

curl-6 said:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-zelda-twilight-princess-on-wii-u-is-even-better-than-we-remember-it

"We got lighting upgrades back then (via added bloom effects, high dynamic range, and global illumination)"

They didn't mention it in their original analysis but I'll believe them ...

curl-6 said:
Miyamotoo said:

Well they opinion definitely carris much more weight than your or mine opinion. Fact is that visual style of WW is timeless while TP art style aged bad is generally accepted opinon.

But there is no right or wrong when it comes to the interpretation of art. Everyone's opinion is equally valid.

Yes, but fact is that visual style of WW is timeless while TP art style aged bad is generally accepted opinion. For instance some one will sell that Star Fox Zero is best looking game on Wii U, but reality is different regardless opinion of that person.

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
curl-6 said:

Yes, but fact is that visual style of WW is timeless while TP art style aged bad is generally accepted opinion. For instance some one will sell that Star Fox Zero is best looking game on Wii U, but reality is different regardless opinion of that person.

The popular opinion is not the only valid opinion.

If someone was to say that Starfox was technically the best graphics on Wii U, that's proveably incorrect. But they're allowed to feel it's the best looking based on art if that is their preference.

Good try, Ninty. I'll stuck with Dolphin version.

curl-6 said:
Miyamotoo said:

If someone was to say that Starfox was technically the best graphics on Wii U, that's proveably incorrect. But they're allowed to feel it's the best looking based on art if that is their preference.

But if generally accepted opinion is that Star Fox Zero isnt best Wii U looking game (or that that visual style of WW is timeless while TP art style aged bad), than much higher chances are that Star Fox Zero really inst best looking Wii U game. What is more valid opinion in that case!?

Miyamotoo said:
curl-6 said:

But if generally accepted opinion is that Star Fox Zero isnt best Wii U looking game (or that that visual style of WW is timeless while TP art style aged bad), than much higher chances are that Star Fox Zero really inst best looking Wii U game. What is more valid opinion in that case!?

Artistic preference is entirely a matter of subjective perception, so there is no "right" or "wrong" answer.

curl-6 said:
Miyamotoo said:

Artistic preference is entirely a matter of subjective perception, so there is no "right" or "wrong" answer.

Here it not question about what art style you or me prefer, it's about what art style aged better. 

You wrote "The popular opinion is not the only valid opinion", so in that case if generally accepted opinion is that that visual style of WW is timeless while TP art style aged bad, that is more valid opinion.