By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Art System and Xenobalde's Mainstream Appeal in the West

Tagged games:

pokoko said:
Speaking from a personal perspective, I hate the mecha-cars. Like, really hate. They scream Power Rangers and being 12 years old while making explosion sounds with your mouth when you ram your toys against each other. As long as that's where the emphasis rest, I think it's always going to be viewed as a niche Japanese game.

When you talk about JRPGs that gain mainstream acceptance, I think those are mostly games where you have unique and easily identifiable characters that stick in your consciousness. Cloud, Tifa, and Aeris, for example. With XCX, all I know is that one of them looks like Micheal Jackson and another is an unfortunate minor who wasn't allowed to wear skimpy clothing.

weird, i love big mechas, or just recently i loved. XCX story is really good and the music is mind blowing. Also the atmossphere is just awsome

Around the Network
Cloudman said:

I do feel better marketing could have helped sell this game. I don't really think it got any...? Just some exposure would have been nice. I do feel making the gameplay more hack-and-slash would be more appealing overall, but the system they have now is fun as well.

If there is one thing I think they should change, it's the art style. Even I have to admit it's not very visually appeal, though not all characters look bad... If they change this with more marketing, I think it could sell better. If they make another Xenoblade-like game, maybe they can apply these changes and do a better job overall.

It got some commercials, but you had to be on the lookout for it. They usually advertise their M rated games on Adult Swim so I checked and it was on there. Otherwise I never saw it anywhere else, which was a shame. Its a great game. They really should have put it everywhere. Even Bayonetta 2 had playboy playmates doing cosplay. This had... just that commercial as far as I know.

Thanks for responding everyone. So I guess you guys are pinning the issue primarily at the marketing as opposed to any specific in-game mechanics.

bunchanumbers said:
Cloudman said:

I do feel better marketing could have helped sell this game. I don't really think it got any...? Just some exposure would have been nice. I do feel making the gameplay more hack-and-slash would be more appealing overall, but the system they have now is fun as well.

If there is one thing I think they should change, it's the art style. Even I have to admit it's not very visually appeal, though not all characters look bad... If they change this with more marketing, I think it could sell better. If they make another Xenoblade-like game, maybe they can apply these changes and do a better job overall.

It got some commercials, but you had to be on the lookout for it. They usually advertise their M rated games on Adult Swim so I checked and it was on there. Otherwise I never saw it anywhere else, which was a shame. Its a great game. They really should have put it everywhere. Even Bayonetta 2 had playboy playmates doing cosplay. This had... just that commercial as far as I know.

Well, that's good they advertised it some at least, but why on something like adult swim..? The game doesn't really even have any mature content on it... It could have used some during the day... D: And the game is not even an M rated game.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Cloudman said:
bunchanumbers said:

Well, that's good they advertised it some at least, but why on something like adult swim..? The game doesn't really even have any mature content on it... It could have used some during the day... D: And the game is not even an M rated game.

Its just poor advertising planning on Nintendo's part. I get why they do advertise on Adult Swim, but they should have advertised elsewhere too. Problem is that where would you advertise a gigantic open world sci fi game and it would make sense? Even Syfy doesn't really do Sci Fi anymore.

Around the Network
sonicfan1373 said:

Do you guys think that replacing auto-attack style Art System with a hack-n-slash style system could increase the appeal of future Xenoblade games in the West? 

While I think the big hook to the Xenoblade games are the vast, beautiful and explorable environments, I actually agree that the battle system should have more interactive elements (though I think they should keep the Art System). I know when I frist played Xenoblade on the Wii, I was expecting a battle system that was more interactive like in Kingdom Hearts, Secret of Mana or the Tales of series.  It's not just the auto-attack feature that was jarring but the fact that characters and enemies would just swipe at thin air and still connect or how you could be half a mile away from an enemy and they'd still be able to attack you as if the vast environments and the ability to move around during a battle was all just an illusion.  I think turning the battle system into something more like a hack-and-slash with hit detection and more complex AI patterns would give the series some real added appeal in the west (which is whom I think Monolith Soft should try and appeal to since the Xenoblade games do considerably better in the US and Europe than in Japan) and make the games a little more marketable and easy to showcase in video clips.

bunchanumbers said:
Cloudman said:

Its just poor advertising planning on Nintendo's part. I get why they do advertise on Adult Swim, but they should have advertised elsewhere too. Problem is that where would you advertise a gigantic open world sci fi game and it would make sense? Even Syfy doesn't really do Sci Fi anymore.

I agree it was poor planning on Ninten, though i don't think it has to be anywhere specific. I think it could be anywhere on TV or the internet. They just need to emphasize on the strong exciting points of the game, alot of good gameplay and cutscene moments. Though if they had to specify certain channels, maybe ones viewed by kids and young adults? I think they could have caught the interest of both groups.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread