By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Macronix Claims NX Releasing This Year, They are Providing Memory Slots

Ljink96 said:
Miyamotoo said:
Ljink96 said:
By the time E3 arrives, we'll know everything about NX without Nintendo saying a word. Come on Nintendo, spill the shrooms.

But we still don't know anything, fact that Macronix is working NX memory does not saying much.

I was just saying, other companies and investors are saying more about NX than Nintendo is. And Nintendo isn't confirming it or denying it. It just seems kind of off to me.

I completely understand you, but point is even other companies and investors didn't give us nothing expect very likely 2016. launch. We will need to way probably around April for NX reveal.

Around the Network
hershel_layton said:
Curious, but do the discs for 3DS games count as cartridges?

I really like how you don't need to worry about fingerprints, scratches, etc. Makes reselling way easier

I think 3DS games are count like cartridges because they are basically SD cards not disks. So only difference this time would be that home console too uses cartridges/SD cards, and that same cartridge/SD card could be used on handheld too. That would be great, not to mention no more need for optical drive for home console and that basically means console that cant broke.

elektranine said:

Lol when you guys use google translate for info you will always get burned.

Even native speakers cannot directly translate this, lots of times companies will say things and the direct english translation will have nothing to do with what they actually meant to say.

They could mean their rom business is going to pickup and nintendo will be a smaller part of it

they be even talking about some vastly different project called NX that has nothing to do with nintendo

Unless an english statement is directly released by the company then not much can be said about it.

There has been many times where a asian company has released statements that were translated by native speakers and the resulting english translation was completely wrong due to cultural differences in the way people speak. Botton line you cannot translate non-european languages to english without being very careful to preserve the intent.

This is translated by Chinese guy from Neogaf.

Prestigious Japanese videogame console maker Nintendo will launch a new console called NX this year. General Manager of Macronix, CY Lu, said Macronix will provide products for NX and that Macronix has considerable expectations to NX. 

In the afternoon, Macronix had held an online conference for investors. As Nintendo is going to launch new console NX this year, investors concern about if Macronix, which have a long-term cooperative relationship with Nintendo, is still part of NX's supply chain. 

CY Lu said Macronix will supply memory slots for NX, and that the company has considerable expectation to NX. 

Even though CY Lu declined to comment whether the supplied products are ROM, he said he expects ROM sales this year will be exceptional.

jason1637 said:
bigtakilla said:
Memory slots pretty much confirm handheld. Internal storage or an external hard drive would still be the only thing that makes sense for a home console.

There was a patent that showed memory cards used in the hoem console.

More than likely to move save data from home console to handheld. I doubt this would be the home consoles main source of memory though. 

There is speculation that all games for NX will run on these cards (home and hh) so it's far from impossible. That seems rather odd too though. No matter how cheap they are, they're still more expensive than a dual layer bluray. And it would be far cheaper to not habe physical games at all. 

Miyamotoo said:
elektranine said:

Even native speakers cannot directly translate this, lots of times companies will say things and the direct english translation will have nothing to do with what they actually meant to say.

They could mean their rom business is going to pickup and nintendo will be a smaller part of it

they be even talking about some vastly different project called NX that has nothing to do with nintendo

Unless an english statement is directly released by the company then not much can be said about it.

There has been many times where a asian company has released statements that were translated by native speakers and the resulting english translation was completely wrong due to cultural differences in the way people speak. Botton line you cannot translate non-european languages to english without being very careful to preserve the intent.

Prestigious Japanese videogame console maker Nintendo will launch a new console called NX this year. General Manager of Macronix, CY Lu, said Macronix will provide products for NX and that Macronix has considerable expectations to NX. 

In the afternoon, Macronix had held an online conference for investors. As Nintendo is going to launch new console NX this year, investors concern about if Macronix, which have a long-term cooperative relationship with Nintendo, is still part of NX's supply chain. 

CY Lu said Macronix will supply memory slots for NX, and that the company has considerable expectation to NX. 

Even though CY Lu declined to comment whether the supplied products are ROM, he said he expects ROM sales this year will be exceptional.

Once again you cannot directly translate mandarin to english without the context being potentially lost. Yes the translation may be word-for-word correct but the meaning may change from one language to another. The statement is not even in proper english in many parts. All the statment says is that CY Lu said "Macronix will supply memory slots for NX, and that the company has considerable expectation to NX" that is all. He may or may not be referring to Nintendo as its very strange for another company to refer to another's project codename. CY Lu said nothing about Nintendo launching NX this year, that was Yahoo Taiwan. All he said was that at some point they will supply memory slots for a product called NX. This is a very cryptic one liner and I think much could have been taken out of context or lost in translation. Investors meetings are usually long and drawn out surely he would have said more than 16 words, there has to be more context than that.

Around the Network
bigtakilla said:
jason1637 said:
bigtakilla said:
Memory slots pretty much confirm handheld. Internal storage or an external hard drive would still be the only thing that makes sense for a home console.

More than likely to move save data from home console to handheld. I doubt this would be the home consoles main source of memory though. 

If NX is really a unified platform, than using same media on home and handheld console makes sense, that means cartridge/SD card for handheld and home console, SD card like cartridge has lotsa benefits regard to DVD/Blu Ray media.

elektranine said:
Miyamotoo said:
elektranine said:

Once again you cannot directly translate mandarin to english without the context being potentially lost. Yes the translation may be word-for-word correct but the meaning may change from one language to another. The statement is not even in proper english in many parts. All the statment says is that CY Lu said "Macronix will supply memory slots for NX, and that the company has considerable expectation to NX" that is all. He may or may not be referring to Nintendo as its very strange for another company to refer to another's project codename. CY Lu said nothing about Nintendo launching NX this year, that was Yahoo Taiwan. All he said was that at some point they will supply memory slots for a product called NX. This is a very cryptic one liner and I think much could have been taken out of context or lost in translation. Investors meetings are usually long and drawn out surely he would have said more than 16 words, there has to be more context than that.

I believe that Chinese guy translate this in such a way that context is not lost. And he twice wrote NX will launch this year, and thats most important.

Miyamotoo said:
bigtakilla said:
jason1637 said:
bigtakilla said:

If NX is really a unified platform, than using same media on home and handheld console makes sense, that means cartridge/SD card for handheld and home console, SD card like cartridge has lotsa benefits regard to DVD/Blu Ray media.

I wouldn't mind, but aren't SD cards more expensive than bluray as well?

bigtakilla said:
Miyamotoo said:
bigtakilla said:
jason1637 said:
bigtakilla said:

Maybe just a little, Flash memory is becoming dirt cheap and when you buying millions of SD cards directly from manufacturer they are much more cheaper, also Nintendo could include wide variety of size of SD cards, from 4GB to 64GB depends on size of a game, you currently have Wii U games that have size from 2GB to 32GB.

Miyamotoo said:
bigtakilla said:
Miyamotoo said:
bigtakilla said:
jason1637 said:
bigtakilla said:

Maybe just a little, Flash memory is becoming dirt cheap and when you buying millions of SD cards directly from manufacturer they are much more cheaper, also Nintendo could include wide variety of size of SD cards, from 4GB to 64GB depends on size of a game, you currently have Wii U games that have size from 2GB to 32GB.

True enough, but even if the cards are $1 more expensive than making a bluray, with as many millions of games Nintendo sells it would definilty add up. And no matter what, it would be far more expensive than ditching physical media altogether, and not having to need shelf space for games, or shipping costs, or manufacturing costs. Plus getting all third parties on board with getting a device to write to these memory cards (though that should probably be a part of the dev kits correct?...), and purchasing the cards... I don't know...

I'm just a little skeptical. It seems strange....

Having a proprietary card for games would cut back on piracy though....