By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony FY2016 Q3 results out, 993$ million profit, 21.3$ Billion revenue, 8.4 Million PS4s shipped!

Teeqoz said:

Had it not been for the recent changes in foreign exchange rates, this fiscal year would actually have been the best fiscal year for Playstation ever, iirc, and that is before Q4 numbers.

So how is the balance Sony and others Japanese companies need for max profit?

Dolar is strong than ever agains Euro, Yen and others.

Around the Network
Dark_Feanor said:
Teeqoz said:

Had it not been for the recent changes in foreign exchange rates, this fiscal year would actually have been the best fiscal year for Playstation ever, iirc, and that is before Q4 numbers.

Strong dollar hurts Sony because they have a lot of dollar denominated costs.

Teeqoz said:
Dark_Feanor said:
Teeqoz said:

Ok, but as I recall Sony and Japanese companies in general strugled the last decade because the strong Yen.

That was I'd read for years. Now, Yen is almost 50% below 5 years ago levels.

Is this situatuation better or worst? They can't have both ways.

8.4 million. The strange thing is, I don't think this represents a peak for PS4.

BraLoD said:
GribbleGrunger said:

Lol, didn't knew Zhuge was into trolling, always tried to pass a serious image.

He doesn't have to be serious to not be trolling.  You can be light hearted and not a troll :)

Around the Network

PS4 is doing a lot of good for Sony, and a lot better than the PS3. Good Job Sony!

Dark_Feanor said:
Teeqoz said:
Dark_Feanor said:
Teeqoz said:

Ok, but as I recall Sony and Japanese companies in general strugled the last decade because the strong Yen.

That was I'd read for years. Now, Yen is almost 50% below 5 years ago levels.

Is this situatuation better or worst? They can't have both ways.

I'm saying this situation is worse currency-wise than what it was in FY2015. Beyond that, I don't know, I haven't been following Sony much longer than that.

Man when Apple sneezes all its friends catch a cold. It's great to be selling to the biggest dog in town = but it's also good to have a few bits on the side.

Over all great result for Sony but they've got to keep a weather eye on them devices.

I quite like the fact that phones is down on revenue but significantly up on operating income.It indicates considerable efficiency gains and improved productivity, so it's a base from which to build.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Conina said:
AEGRO said:

I joined this site on 2014, so im not aware of the 7th Gen situation.

Since the beginning of the 8th Gen, ive been noticing that Sony is more open to share numbers than the rest of the Big 3 so i cant complain from what ive seen so far.

Sony is more open to share numbers as Nintendo???

Nintendo is the only of the three who keeps its numbers transparent, even if they are not in their favor.

To be fair Nintendo can't hide their numbers. It's basically the entirety of their financial results. If it ever came to that, the Kyoto company might as well directly announce their bankruptcy.

On an unrelated note, Sony must be mad to to hold on to their previous forecast. To fulfil their FCT they only need to ship another 2.1m consoles in Q4, whereas they sold 2.4m the same quarter last year... At a higher price and with a sparser release schedule. Street Fighter V is going to have a significantly bigger impact than the Order and Bloodborne had combined. For the April releases (U4, R&C) retailers also have to build inventory before the quarter ends, so some of that will impact Q4 2015 rather than Q12016.

Boskabo said:
Conina said:
AEGRO said:

I joined this site on 2014, so im not aware of the 7th Gen situation.

Since the beginning of the 8th Gen, ive been noticing that Sony is more open to share numbers than the rest of the Big 3 so i cant complain from what ive seen so far.

Sony is more open to share numbers as Nintendo???

Nintendo is the only of the three who keeps its numbers transparent, even if they are not in their favor.

To be fair Nintendo can't hide their numbers. It's basically the entirety of their financial results. If it ever came to that, the Kyoto company might as well directly announce their bankruptcy.

On an unrelated note, Sony must be mad to to hold on to their previous forecast. To fulfil their FCT they only need to ship another 2.1m consoles in Q4, whereas they sold 2.4m the same quarter last year... At a higher price and with a sparser release schedule. Street Fighter V is going to have a significantly bigger impact than the Order and Bloodborne had combined. For the April releases (U4, R&C) retailers also have to build inventory before the quarter ends, so some of that will impact Q4 2015 rather than Q12016.

The reason might be the almost 2m ps4 already bought by retailers so they might want to get than down maybe 500k. So that's a minus 500k straight away plus uncharted which was going to be a big seller in March is now the quarter after.  

They probably will still beat it just not by too much.